Oh Yeah!!!!! Dentist Question...

Tillytots

Reaction score
Derrrrr, forgot to ask this yesterday.

I finally got around to visitng the dentist yesterday,been meaning to go for YEARS :oops: I havent got a dentist anymore as there is such a shortage. I managed to blag an appointment as Im pregnant and my gums are bleeding BADLY!!

Anyway, I went and explained that my gums are not great and my teeth are actually feeling loose sometimes :? I said that my midwife says bleeding gums are normal in pregnancy....the dentist says although it can happen it shouldn't and if you get gum disease in pregnancy you never get rid of it. She also said I shouldnt be using Corsydol Mouthwash for more than 10 days max in a row and then you shouldnt use it for months and months after that?!

Her diagnosis was my gums are REALLY inflammed and I need to have them polished. I also need one filling and it can only be temporary but when I asked about the anesthetic she said it was fine to have it? Has anyone else had it whilst pregnant? I will opt to have my tooth filled without needles if there is ANY risk to my bubs. Ive had it done before without anesthetic, its ok until it hits a nerve :puke: but hopefully that wont happen.

I just wondered what anyone else dentists has reccommended as far as the anesthetic goes....? I know alot of dsentists hold off doing any dental work until after the birth. I just dont want to do anything that could be potentially harmful to baby. Im not in any pain with my teeth whatsoever so it could be left.

I've not seen a dentist for a couple of years :oops: Have given up on finding an nhs one.
I would have thought the local anaethetic would be ok, as far as I know it's just the xrays you have to avoid.
Hope your gums get sorted, sounds sore! :hug: :hug:

Oh I feel for you...I've had 2 root canal procedures during my second trimester - including x-rays and anesthetic :shock: My dentist assured me that it was fine - the x-rays are apparently very very low radiation (not even pointing towards the body)...and the anesthetic is perfectly safe. I wouldn't worry if I were you. I confirmed this with my OB/GYN and she said it was fine :) Good luck and I hope your problem gets resolved soon.

I went to my dentist last week and am also using Corsydol for a while. However, she did not tell me to lay off it for months :think: Just to not use it for longer than 10 days in a row and then to have a break. She wants to xray incase its a hole in the tooth not the gums causing the problem, but said it can wait till after baby is born. I felt my back upper row on one side was a bit iffy and the gums inflamed. She said this was the case but hopefully could be contained.

With regards to fillings, I never have any pain relief for them. A good dentist, providing its not an open nerve and a really deterioated tooth should be able to drill without causing anything more than mild discomfort IMO.

If its not a major rebuild filling, I'd not worry about pain relief anyways, but thats just me. But its only a local into your gum so it should be fine. I just find it wearing off more annoying and uncomfortable than not having a jab. I'm sure the dentist would tell you if it were a problem.

ask leckershell i remember her saying something about it :hug:

i had a filling done when i was 15 weeks. your fine having a white one apparentlybut not aloud the normal grey one, but i had to payfor the white one. think it was about £70. was either that or wait until ive had kiddy apparently but the needle is fine to have.

trixipaws said:
ask leckershell i remember her saying something about it :hug:

Never had one in pregnancy, but after Ryan. If you are breastfeeding you are recommended *not to* for 12 hours after it.

I went in on Wednesday for Crown Prep, and when I got there he said he couldn't do it, but he'll do a filling instead.. so I asked if that had the injection and he said yeah :wall: they just don't understand that between 2pm and 2am a lot of breastfeeding goes on and it would have been nice to know in advance otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the appointment!! :wall:

Louise_a said:
i had a filling done when i was 15 weeks. your fine having a white one apparentlybut not aloud the normal grey one, but i had to payfor the white one. think it was about £70. was either that or wait until ive had kiddy apparently but the needle is fine to have.

Whats wrong with the grey ones? I got one yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back