Bleeding gums?

CharlieC

Reaction score
Hi there, :wave:

I know bleeding gums are common in pregnancy but mine are so bad that one of my back teeth is painfully sensitive, and to add to this I'm terrified of the dentist! Is anyone else in the same situation with their teeth and gums? :(

I have got a check up booked for a week on Monday and have bought some sensodyne at lunchtime hoping it'll help. :pray:

Do gums go back to their normal healthy pre-preggo state after the birth?

Charlie xx

My dentist said that in pregnancy if you suffer with bleeding gums etc and get painful gums or they start to receed and so on it runs a good chance of remaining after you give birth and then being a lifelong problem. Tooth decay once started is hard to stop. So to keep on top if it all thorugh pregnancy, which I have done. Once my gums stopped bleeding about 5 weeks ago though its been much better.

She told me to use Corsodyl mouthwash if my gum problems got bad. Thankfully they improved and I've only need it on and off for a week at a time.

A sensitive tooth might not have anything to do with your pregnancy though. Might need a filling.

Never neglect a visit to the dentist. Its not that bad once you get in there :)

Hi Charlie

I agree with Sherlock. Corsodyl is amazing for fighting gum disease.

I read somewhere recently, that gum disease untreated in pregnancy can bring on prem labour (I really don't know how!!)

So, make sure you get some corsodyl and get to your dentist :hug: :)

Hiya,

Thanks to both for your replies. Luckily I've been using Corsodyl for the last couple of days as husband always has some in as he has flare ups with his gums from time to time, I'll keep on using it and mention my gums and tooth to the dentist a week on Monday, hopefully the sensodyne will help with the sensitivity until then, although if I get full blown toothache no doubt i'll be begging the dentist to see me sooner! LOL

Thanks again :hug:

hello

i started using a softer toothbrush, this helped me
x

something else that helps is drinking raspberry leaf tea. My gums were soooo bad with bleeding but since I started drinking this at 32 weeks they stopped!! :D

The reason you have to watch gums in pregnancy (according to he receptionist at the practice i go to) is that the bacteria that gan gather there will be swalled by you when you swallow saliva. They then can affect the baby and i expect taht is what can potentially bring on pre term labour. hence why it is free to go when pregnant.

I think you have to swallow a lot of bacteria but they like to give you a check up for that. I went then i was 4 months and had receeding gums and they still thought it was all fine, they wont do any work that is not ness as any anaesthesia would affect the LO, so you should get away with jsut a check up.

Sandi

Tillytots said:
something else that helps is drinking raspberry leaf tea. My gums were soooo bad with bleeding but since I started drinking this at 32 weeks they stopped!! :D

Its got a multitude of uses :) Meant to help stem bleeding after birth also. I'm on the full dosage now and will be till after I give birth. Drinking the tea after you have your baby is meant to be benifcial also for healing etc :)

My gums bled during pregnancy - it's to do with the fact that there is so much more blood circulating inside during pregnancy ( I read that the amount of blood in your body almost doubles!) and the blood vessles in the gums are so tiny they can swell & burst quite easily (also why people often get nose bleeds during pregnancy as well). I used a softer brush and corsodyl from time to time. They returned to their normal, non-bleeding state within days of Jenna's birth :D

Luckily mine have stopped....Think it might be Aldis sensitive toothpaste lol (59p or something similar lol)

On another subject: How did your GTT go charlie?

Hi Fuffins! :wave:

Yeah GTT results were clear :cheer: and 28 week bloods were fine too :cheer:

Charlie x

CharlieC said:

Charlie x

glad your results came back clear hunny

how are the gums ?
i had bad gum ache a while back and it hurt like hell
went to the dentist and had them cleaned buy the hygienits she said being pregnant makes to gum more sensitive and swollen
they reccomended using either tee pees or floss

i already use cordosol its great for washing out your mouth and its safe for use in pregnancy

its worked :D with in a few day of using floss my gums started to feel better.
though the one i have a crown on is still sensitive :think:

i had really bad problems with my gums andteeth with the first 2.
Hugs hope they get better soon x

CharlieC said:
Hi Fuffins! :wave:

Charlie x

yay!!Thats brilliant!....I havent had my 28 week blood results yet. So glad yours all came back clear :cheer:

Hi,

My gums have been bleeding when I brush for the past couple of weeks (inside, top front teeth) - they don't hurt much and the bleeding seems to have got less but am still a bit worried. Also, there are NO NHS dentists currently taking on new patients in this area so I would have to go private (haven't been for about 2 years as my dentist went private), bit of a nightmare and am completely broke but I guess I am going to have to pay!

DaisyRose said:
Hi,

My gums have been bleeding when I brush for the past couple of weeks (inside, top front teeth) - they don't hurt much and the bleeding seems to have got less but am still a bit worried. Also, there are NO NHS dentists currently taking on new patients in this area so I would have to go private (haven't been for about 2 years as my dentist went private), bit of a nightmare and am completely broke but I guess I am going to have to pay!

:hug: :hug:
DITTO i feel your pain LITRELY
NO NHS dentists to be seen round my area all gone rpeivate or have full lists .
i had to fork out for my treatment which makes me :twisted: :twisted:
i have a lovely card saying im entitled ot free dentistry what a joke :x

any local NHS emergency dentists near you? try them thats what i'm going to try next time i just can not afford private especialy now ive left work

:hug: :hug:

Hi Geordie Lass,

I think there is NHS emergency cover around here - I may just do the same if I get a bad bleed again! It is a bit of a joke isn't it, the 'free' treatment during pregnancy coz you only get it if you've got a registered NHS dentist. I think, if dentists go private, they should have to find alternative dentists for all their NHS patients - it's just not on!!!

Good luck with finding one. I keep calling the helpline but the only thing they could offer me last time was 15 miles away, and that would only cover the children (can you believe it, they aren't even any that offer NHS treatment to children in this area at present). :evil:

DaisyRose said:
Hi Geordie Lass,

I think there is NHS emergency cover around here - I may just do the same if I get a bad bleed again! It is a bit of a joke isn't it, the 'free' treatment during pregnancy coz you only get it if you've got a registered NHS dentist. I think, if dentists go private, they should have to find alternative dentists for all their NHS patients - it's just not on!!!

Good luck with finding one. I keep calling the helpline but the only thing they could offer me last time was 15 miles away, and that would only cover the children (can you believe it, they aren't even any that offer NHS treatment to children in this area at present). :evil:

Same here when i looked on the NHS website trying to find an avalable NHS dentist for me i noticed a lot of the practices NHS and private said WE DO DONT TAKE UNDER 18'S i was :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The private ones do it because even if they our private if they take on a child they have to give it free so they are turning them away. :twisted: :x

I CAN SEE CHILDREN'S DENTAL HEALTH GOING DOWN HILL!!!!! :( :cry:

I hope that when my Collier is born ans we move some where else i can find some where for him :pray: :pray:
It's disgusting the state of dental health in England all these dentists going private and raking in the cash they SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED tO do this they trained as NHS dentists to serve NHS patients

sorry this subject makes my blood boil and go :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:rotfl: :rotfl: I WILL STOP NOW TAKE DEEP BREATHS SARAH BREATH IN, BREATH OUT THINK CALM THOUGHTS :rotfl:

I totally agree!! When we were small going to the dentist was something we took for granted!!

Psst daisy Rose

Use Corsodyl mouthwash (recommended for this problem in pregnancy) and when you are able, raspberry leaf tea is meant to help also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back