Hypnobirthing Thread

When I first joined here, there was an awesome lady on here who got right into her hypnobirthing and she sent me 2 cd's worth of hypnobirthing tracks. She ended up with a 56 hour labour and having her boy in hospital, but she did really help me and stuff, I listened to the tracks when pregnant with S but when I actually went into labour I forgot my phone, didn't listen to any music, but I did have a fairly natural labour for 6 hours then she was out! it definitely helped me, and I plan on doing it again and actually try and be completely calm this time, as last time I began to lose it a bit just before the pushing part lol.

So I plan on being an active member of this thread lol! I still have the tracks from last time so thats handy, gonna start listening to them at bed time because I struggle to switch off during the day xx

When I first joined here, there was an awesome lady on here who got right into her hypnobirthing and she sent me 2 cd's worth of hypnobirthing tracks. She ended up with a 56 hour labour and having her boy in hospital, but she did really help me and stuff, I listened to the tracks when pregnant with S but when I actually went into labour I forgot my phone, didn't listen to any music, but I did have a fairly natural labour for 6 hours then she was out! it definitely helped me, and I plan on doing it again and actually try and be completely calm this time, as last time I began to lose it a bit just before the pushing part lol.

So I plan on being an active member of this thread lol! I still have the tracks from last time so thats handy, gonna start listening to them at bed time because I struggle to switch off during the day xx

How did you get through the panicky part and not completely lose it? Was there anything that set it off, just the pain, or...? xx

Hi Ladies,
Thought I would share my great experience with you all regarding HB.
I was very skeptical towards the whole concept to start with, but I went along to classes ( I did have to Pay for these) and I thought it was brilliant.
This was my first baby.
I had a fabulous labour and attitude towards the whole process. I felt comfortable dealing with what was coming knowing I had the knowledge and practice skills to get me through this with the techniques taught and mind set I had towards labour, my body being in control and doing what it is supposed to do, I felt very relaxed and had no fears about the process, the classes had dissolved any I had previously had.
I was mobile throughout the birth (luckily it wasn't long!), I did have gas and air for the last hour but felt in control and kept saying I can do this.
My little boy was 8lb 5oz and he was minutes old and I said I am doing this again it was amazing.
I know its not for everyone but I wish you all the best with HB. x

Without really thinking about it I do breathing of a sort to cope with migraines, will probably find that helpful fro a start etc.

I can cope with pain when it's not pain in my head, that always gets me far worse.

I panicked and totally forgot how to do the breathing even though Id been going to classes on the lead up, I planned on using the birthing ball too but in the end had to just go into myself and pace with my eyes closed. I think everyone has a panic moment before the pushing part, it's called transition and its just really intense. The drugs really did help to calm me so Id say just try to be open to the fact that you might need them and take them if you do! I know you've done it before RM so know what to expect. I ended up taking diamorphine, which I really didn't want before as I don't like talking rubbish and being out of control, but I was fine in that respect - it just took the edge of the pain and my epidural put me into total chill. Knowing I wouldn't have any pain from that point meant I could just relax. I salute all of you who do it without any pain relief! There's no shame in taking it though, that's what it's there for. Also know people who swear by tens machines to get through the contractions, I never tried it but will next time x

How did you get through the panicky part and not completely lose it? Was there anything that set it off, just the pain, or...? xx

I had gas and air and was on a ball at this point. I just had contraction after contraction but to be fair I don't think I panicked because of the pain. If I had pulled myself together then I would have been much calmer. I think I was just in a weird swing of saying I can't do this, and then all of a sudden I really needed to push. That part didn't last long at all and when I was at the pushing stage the contractions dont hurt anymore, youre literally pushing out the pain. I know I can do better this time, my anxiety is that my first was a quick labour, so this one could be even quicker going by what people say about their second. And I assume quicker could be more painful with quicker stronger contractions.
My best advice is to stay mobile, I walked around the hospital for ages then bounced on the ball then voila! Baby came xx

I'm really interested in this and it's definitely something that'll be part of my 'plan'. Like Kitty I can have panic attacks and think it'll be really useful to attempt to control them etc x

I want to give this a go this time. Last labour was so bloody long I ended up losing my shit and gave in, asking for an epidural. I think if I'd done this, I may have lasted a bit longer. I felt like I could handle the pain okay, just the length I struggled with and not knowing when it would end. I really think this would help. I don't know where to start though! Xxx

All welcome, I imagine ill be more active later on when Ive started.m

Never bloody any time!!

xxxx

I did it last time and it was amazing. I honestly don't remember labour being painful, just felt immense pressure. I always felt in control and just had 2 cocodamol and no gas/air. 100% recommend!!!

I did it last time and it was amazing. I honestly don't remember labour being painful, just felt immense pressure. I always felt in control and just had 2 cocodamol and no gas/air. 100% recommend!!!

Wow that's amazing! I hope I can make my experience like this! X

I have looked into this , didn't hear of it when I had my first , but the more I look into it the more I think I did it naturally . I really did go into a hypnotic state the first time , I just started breathing and took my mind somewhere else , I couldn't talk to anyone , I was calm ... No panic and no pain relief ... The midwives said it was a textbook birth ...

I am a natural hypochondriac and suffer with immense anxiety about anything medical and convince myself im dying all the time ... I'm really hoping I can replicate and have been practicing meditating and breathing at home , with positive thoughts about the birth ... Panic keeps setting in occasionally and if I let it I will go out of control .

Good luck ladies

X

I absolutely Need to for my own sanity. I suffer from panic attacks on and off quite badly with anything I feel out of control with. I can't afford to go to classes even though I'd love it, so will need to do it at home. I will definitely be buying a CD and open to any other suggestions.

I've always wanted to have as natural a birth as possible, but as time goes on I think I'll be going for the whole whack of meds and painkillers (but then that also scares me because I hate taking medication, it makes me panic as well!)

This app seems up your street :)

xxxx

I listened to this one last night. I also listened to the Zita West download whilst TTC - I'm really not sure if it's for me? lol
I'll keep at it, and probably buy one Amazon as well, however I just don't know if I'm susceptible to things... I never seem to relax, and frankly go through the whole audio inwardly eye rolling.

The cds or bought ones are obviously better and like the full audio books go into depth about breathing techniques, closing your mind etc.

If you can find one cheap online id go for it.

xxxx

Another positive experience here. I attended classes with my DH (the knowledge & empowerment it gave him was brilliant too) .... and I listened to CDs & mp3s every night at bedtime - I found them generally really relaxing. I slept better than most other pregnant women I knew at the time too, so wonder if it helped that too?!

I actually got to 10cms dilated at home without realising I was in labour. I'd spent the afternoon listening to the meditations on the sofa. My son was born 3 hours after I arrived at hospital with no drugs (there wasn't time)...... He arrived with his arm up by his face, so it wasn't a 100% straightforward and I won't lie, it was pretty painful and very fast, which did leave me a bit shell shocked but thanks to HB I felt in control & knew to ignore everyone and go into my own inner world. I was also able to laugh a bit in between the epic contractions, so it can't have been THAT bad :)

I recommend HB to every pregnant lady I know. My best mate tried it but said she could never really get into it (her comments were very similar to yours Kitty!) but when she had her little boy, which was a long labour with an 11lb baby ending in a c-section, she told me that without what she had learnt she'd have totally freaked out - instead she didn't feel like stuff was happening to her, but was able to find enough inner calm to really think about things & make proper decisions.

Last edited:
With my son I had a brilliant woman come to my house (she's had 3 hypnobirths - all her boys were over ELEVEN pounds and she hypnobirthed then all!) we had the Katherine graves book and CDs and I also downloaded Sophie fletchers stuff because I found her voice really soothing.

I practised every night from 28 weeks and it meant I could get straight into the breathing as soon as labour came on. He breathing was amazing. Helped to make surges totally bearable and really efficient. unfortunately my little boy turned in labour and got his head stuck so despite just Hypnobirthing to fully dilated I ended up having a spinal and forcep delivery!

This time I didn't have classes and didn't have time to practise as much but only needed a bit of gas and air in the last 10 minutes of labour because she was coming fast and the pressure was incredible! I'd recommend it 100%. I had another 3rd degree year and didn't feel it at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back