Hypnobirthing CD's - your thoughts please!!

Bunnykins

Reaction score
I posted up a thread a while ago saying that I wanted to get a hypnobirthing CD & book to help me prepare for labour and hopefully stay as calm as I can throughout!! I definately want to get a UK version as I dont think I would find an American CD as relaxing, and I am looking for something that I can read as well as listen to.

I still havent made up my mind what to get as there is so much choice out there but I have found this book and CD today on Amazon and they seem from the reviews to be good, but I was wondering if any of you had any practical experience of them yourselves or if you had come across any better ones?????

Any recommendations would be really useful as I am :wall2:with the choice out there and I want to get it right!!!!!

Book:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-Birth-Preparation-Practical-Better/dp/1905220596/ref=pd_sim_b_7

and CD:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-B...ital-Centre/dp/1905220502/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

I've got this CD and love it! I didn't get the book - the CD includes a little info booklet which I found useful enough; the CD has been brilliant at calming me and given my husband idea's of how he can help too.

Go for it! x

Thanks for the recommendation :) I think I'll go order it now! might leave the book then and see how I get on with just the cd, I wanted something oh could benefit from as well so glad you mentioned your hubby found it useful!

Ah never thought about eBay doh!! Have u listened to it yet?

Yep, it's a bit early for me still but it is very relaxing :good: x

I'm interested in this, just been looking on ebay, there are a lot of cd's for the Mongon Method, does anyone know if its any good or would you say the Effective Birth Preparation would be better?

Ok I have ordered 2 different hypnobirthing CD's and will give both ago and see which is best. When they get here and I've listened to them I'll update so anyone else interested can have a read!

I've gone for the 'Effective Birth Preparation (Hospital or Birth Centre): A Self Hypnosis CD Programme (Natal Hypnotherapy Programme)' by Maggie Howell and I have also ordered the 'Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method: A Natural Approach to a Safe, Easier, More Comfortable Birthing, book with CD' by Marie Mongan

So lets see how I go!!!

I'm interested in this, just been looking on ebay, there are a lot of cd's for the Mongon Method, does anyone know if its any good or would you say the Effective Birth Preparation would be better?

I've just bought both so I'll let you know what I think when they arrive!

I bought the Mongan Method one on Ebay last night, so just waiting for it to arrive :)

But keep me posted on what the other one is like, as I may also end up buying it too.

ok I said I'd update when my CD's had arrived so here goes :)

Well I have just listened to the 'effective birth preparation' natalhypnotherapy CD by Maggie Howell and it was really good, VERY relaxing! She has a really calm voice (British accent!) and I did find myself getting into it on the first go! There is 3 tracks on the CD,

1 is an introduction about 3 mins long just explaining how best to do the CD,

2 is the birth prep hypnosis session and is about 38 mins long, it is sooooo relaxing and encourages you to breathe properly and goes through the whole birth process giving you loads of nice calm descriptive language of it (like instead of contractions she calls them openings!!) and she asks you to imagine your own private beach that you can go to when you need to relax that type of thing. I really liked the background music too it was really soothing without being too twee if you know what I mean!

3 is a shortened relaxation session (15 mins) if you just need to relax and you can listen to this one during the birth to help - I havent done this one yet but will have a go tomorrow.

It also comes with a little booklet that gives you the basics and an extra leaflet to give to your midwife so they know how to handle you during your labour by avoiding certain words and letting you relax if you need to etc. All in all I found it really good and not too 'new agey' as I am quite a sceptical person!! there was definately a lot of things that I felt I could take from it and use to help me!

I havent listened to my other CD yet for the Mongan method, although I have started on the book, its quite a big book and its taking me ages to get through it, the first few chapters are all about the history of women giving birth etc which is interesting but a bit like a history lesson so its taking a bit to get my head in it to be honest and it hasnt even started on the hypnobirthing techniques yet! Also it is quite American so not sure if all of it will be relevant (thinking one born every minute USA here as they seem to do things very differently! lol!), I'm hoping it gets a bit more useful as I read on, will update again when I have finished it!

Opinions so far are that I could probably just get by on the Effective birth prep CD listening 2 times a week then doing it daily in the final 2 weeks, I am not sure that I really need the big book and CD for the hypnobirthing Mongan method.

Hope this helps.

hiya

Just to add - there is a uk version of the hypnobirthing book (doesnt come with a cd though) - but if you go for the classes you do get a further cd for the rainbow technique and birth affirmations.

Ive read the book and did find some of it a little too much......but started classes last sat and the lady is great - she too said some of its a bit much and to take from it what you can and highlighted the main points to try and focus on rather than the whole thing.

Hope this helps
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back