Hunting, Do you agree with it POLL

a fox killed my rabbit - made quite a mess of her too :(

I am fully in support for hunting for meat etc and would have no problems eating fish, deer, pheasant etc. However I disagree strongly with hunting for sport, hunting with hounds, coursing etc etc. That is barbaric, and never fair. Stags, foxes being chased until they are exhausted and then ripped apart, all for sport. No thanks :shakehead:

beanie said:
a fox killed my rabbit - made quite a mess of her too :(

I am fully in support for hunting for meat etc and would have no problems eating fish, deer, pheasant etc. However I disagree strongly with hunting for sport, hunting with hounds, coursing etc etc. That is barbaric, and never fair. Stags, foxes being chased until they are exhausted and then ripped apart, all for sport. No thanks :shakehead:

Ditto that,

Gosh it takes me ages to get out what im really trying to say :lol:

Agree with above.

Killed for food is one thing, but killed for sport is a whole new ball game.

I wouldn't eat fox though :doh:

I strongly disagree with hunting for sport.
I think its the prolonged nature of the hunt that bothers me, if a fox is a pest, shoot it, don't make it run all day then rip it apart.

sparky said:
Re chasing them and ripping them limb from limb...how do you think basil catches his dinner :D

A fox will chase a chick for like a minute then kill it. I think it would be fair to chase a fox for a minute then shoot it.

Urchin said:
I strongly disagree with hunting for sport.
I think its the prolonged nature of the hunt that bothers me, if a fox is a pest, shoot it, don't make it run all day then rip it apart.

sparky said:
Re chasing them and ripping them limb from limb...how do you think basil catches his dinner :D

A fox will chase a chick for like a minute then kill it. I think it would be fair to chase a fox for a minute then shoot it.

yeah, one of our bloody stupid chickens didn't bother coming in last week, so about 10 pm it must have been in the bushes, when ***squaaawwwk** dead chicken. Short and sweet. We won't shoot the fox: the idiot bird practically jumped into its mouth, and generally they leave us alone: the place is full of foxes but we've only lost 2 chickens in the last 7 years

i don't like the reality of hunting, i really don't. but as i said before, i've seen both sides of the argument now.

foxes kill for fun. the hen house that i saw contained around 200 dead hens. the body count revealed that the fox had taken 1 hen. they are not nice animals and they need to be kept under control for the sake of people's livelihoods. but i challenge anyone who thinks that shooting is a humane alternative. it isn't. one very small advantage that hunting with dogs has is that it helps ensure survival of the fittest.

and i also challenge anyone who still thinks that hunting is a toff's pasttime, because that ain't the case either. the truth, certainly in the hunts local to where i grew up, was entirely the opposite; it was mostly people linked to the farming community - surely noone can argue that british farmers are rolling in cash?! gah, i can't stand inverted snobbery especially when it doesn't (in reality), and shouldn't (in practicality), even apply to this argument :wall:

my two biggest problems with the whole issue is the gross hypocrisy from a lot people who are vehemently anti-hunt (who then eat non free-range meat/eggs) and the amount of time that the government spent discussing the topic (as has been mentioned already). TBH i think its disgusting that it had such a lot of parliamentary time devoted to it when, IMO there are far larger problems in our country.

IMO hunting for food and hunting for sport are 2 different things :shakehead:

purple13 said:
hennaly said:
IMO hunting for food and hunting for sport are 2 different things :shakehead:

i haven't questioned that...? :think: :think:
hunting for food is a case of going out quietly finding an animal for food and shooting it, hunting for sport means chasing an animal across fields to the point of its heart bursting out its chest where it is so terrified then letting a pack of dogs rip it apart and keeping part of that animal for a trophy oh and not forgetting wiping its blood down the face of any newbie :evil:
I dont challenge the snobbery of it (i dont need to) all but i do challenge the sick mentality of anyone who thinks this is ok.

but you think that a bad shot from a distance, hitting the fox in a non-fatal place, causing it to die a slow and painful death over the course of several days is a preferable way to kill it?

IMO there are no preferable ways to kill an animal. but looking at the bigger picture (and not just at fluffy little foxes), i find myself unable to continue the anti-hunt stance that i once held.

TBH if you're going to start questioning my "sick mentality" i'll step right out of this debate. i find personal mudslinging in threads like this very tiresome.

Ok the rest of the debate aside, IT IS ILLEGAL, why is it ok to break this law :think:

why should we put the rest of the debate aside? its a perfectly valid and interesting one, as long as thread responses aren't made personal.

it isn't ok for hunting to be done illegally. but do i think it should be an illegal pastime, no, certainly not one that warranted the amount of time spent making it so. personally i think health, education and economics are preferable ways for our politicians to have spent their debating hours, rather than the introduction of a law that is virtually impossible to enforce. the hunts that i'm familiar with have done nothing illegal since the ban was introduced.

purple13 said:
one very small advantage that hunting with dogs has is that it helps ensure survival of the fittest.

if that was the case then I wouldn't be as opposed but generally hunts are not fair. The fox will hide in a burrow and be chased out by terrier men. This is not ensuring survival of the fittest. I don't buy the controlling the fox population arguement either - when hunts were legal only a small percentage of the fox population were killed by hunts.

purple13 said:
i don't like the reality of hunting, i really don't. but as i said before, i've seen both sides of the argument now.

foxes kill for fun. the hen house that i saw contained around 200 dead hens. the body count revealed that the fox had taken 1 hen. they are not nice animals and they need to be kept under control for the sake of people's livelihoods. but i challenge anyone who thinks that shooting is a humane alternative. it isn't. one very small advantage that hunting with dogs has is that it helps ensure survival of the fittest.

and i also challenge anyone who still thinks that hunting is a toff's pasttime, because that ain't the case either. the truth, certainly in the hunts local to where i grew up, was entirely the opposite; it was mostly people linked to the farming community - surely noone can argue that british farmers are rolling in cash?! gah, i can't stand inverted snobbery especially when it doesn't (in reality), and shouldn't (in practicality), even apply to this argument :wall:

my two biggest problems with the whole issue is the gross hypocrisy from a lot people who are vehemently anti-hunt (who then eat non free-range meat/eggs) and the amount of time that the government spent discussing the topic (as has been mentioned already). TBH i think its disgusting that it had such a lot of parliamentary time devoted to it when, IMO there are far larger problems in our country.

I see both sides as well. And I agree: now it isn't solely the preserve of the great and the good. But traditionally, it was. That's why i get annoyed at the whole arguement that it is a "traditional part of country life" It's not. It was about a bunch of Lord this and thats coming down from the cities for the hunting season, and tbh not caring too much about where abouts in the countryside they trampled. It had become more open of course, in this century: but still, not a traditional countryside pursuit.

For me, I agree: foxes are little sods, but again, I feel that for me,my anti-hunting stance is a matter of respect: if a fox decimated my chickens,I 'd shoot it swiftly and cleanly. Not all foxes will even go after chickens: shoot the one that does and I'll let the rest live in peace cos they haven't bothered me. It's not about ooh save the fluffy animals: I agree with you,it is hypocritical. (I eat free range meat and eggs anyway,lol) Like I said,it's a matter of respect. I just don't think it's worthy of being a sport.

Same answer from me as in all of the other related polls. :D

I know the hunts round here aren't all snobbery. Its most of the farmers and their family and friends all getting together and running the hunt between their farms.

I used to be anti-hunting but Im not anymore. It might not be a nice thought how they are killed but being shot in the le and crawling off to die or being poisioned and slowely dying has got to be worse.

I agree with everything Purple13 has said on this. Cant really put what Im trying to say with a baby shouting mamammamama down my ear :lol:

No way its terrible! Im a vegie and I hate any type of animal cruelty!!! :x

I was putting the rest of the debate aside for that particular point of it being illegal not to stop the debate, i didnt mention any names so havnt made it personal.

I just want to add im am sorry if i upset anyone with my comment as i really didnt intend to but it is something i feel very stongly about and cant help but say how i feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back