~~~vegetarian thread~~~

Marymary said:
I do love fish and will never not eat that, but as im not veggie I think this is fine- it does annoy me when veggies who dont eat meat for ethical reason forget how fish are caught..conviently :wall:

Just to say that there are various levels of vegetarianism out there. You shouldn't make uninformed comments. People have various reasons for what they eat and anybody that makes educated choices like this should be commended. I'm sure the pesco-vegetarians don't 'forget' how fish are caught!

I should also say that I don't eat land/warm blooded animals for the level of cruelty and suffering that they experience. There is a big difference.

Sorry, someone has to defend people that have sacrificed eating meat for years and put up with the ignorance of others!

:wave: I'm a veggie :D I have been for 18 years since I was about 10. I hated the thought of eating poor little animals and still do. I used to eat fish when I was younger but not anymore. It doesn't bother me other people eating meat and I even cook it for OH and my child will eat meat too until it's old enough to make it's own mind up. I can't see how anyone can sink their teeth in and chew on an animal that used to be carefree and (if they were lucky) running round in a field. I think what makes it worse is that animals that go for slaughter are young, and I can't help but think if they actually know they are going to die and what goes through their minds. Like how would we be feeling if the barrel of a gun was pointing at our heads and we knew 'this is it'. Would they feel the same panic and be scared? Just the thought of eating meat makes me feel sick :puke: . I could go on for ages about the subject so I'll stop now :)

mermaid said:
Marymary said:
I do love fish and will never not eat that, but as im not veggie I think this is fine- it does annoy me when veggies who dont eat meat for ethical reason forget how fish are caught..conviently :wall:

Just to say that there are various levels of vegetarianism out there. You shouldn't make uninformed comments. People have various reasons for what they eat and anybody that makes educated choices like this should be commended. I'm sure the pesco-vegetarians don't 'forget' how fish are caught!

I should also say that I don't eat land/warm blooded animals for the level of cruelty and suffering that they experience. There is a big difference.

Sorry, someone has to defend people that have sacrificed eating meat for years and put up with the ignorance of others!

Sorry but my opinion is neither "uninformed" nor "ignorant" who is to say that land animals face worse cruelty than fish?

I have been fishing (for example) in tobago where the grunting fish (real name lol) can be found, when caught it grunts to show its distress- horrible. Now just because this fish is able to vocalise its pain doesnt mean non vocal fish dont experience pain and the levels of cruelty to how lots of more common fish are caught , en masse,can be seen on many videos on green peace/youtube etc etc.

Im not saying u have to justify ur meat or non meat eating choices- far from it but Imsaying it annoys ME when land animals are given more credit to feel pain and therefore exonerating themselves of the same ethics the feel for meat. This is more of a annoyance when they then preach about animal cruelty.

I see both sides here- dont get me wrong- I DO eat meat, Im actually trying to show how I sympathise with true veggies.

i have never really cared about the cruelty to animals but i just watched a video and it was so upsetting :(

could you imagine giving birth never seeing the babies and all waiting in line to be killed :(

chips and curry sauce for me tonight :lol:

you know what really makes me feel ill, eating of a bone :shock: how do people do it

when i used to eat meat it had to not look like meat and i would blank it out my head, but chewing a bone, My oh always does :puke:

:puke: Eating off the bone. I can't stand that it's so primative. There's no need for it :x

What about vegetarian kids. Does anyone have any ideas for veggie kids. Im not vegetarian and never will be but I dont eat a lot of meat and do like vegetarian options.

i dont eat meat or fish coz it freaks me out the idea of chewing on a bit of flesh :puke: but i'm not strictly a veggie coz i dont mind eating sweets with gelatine or animal fat in.
i dont kno any recipes my mum makes some good ones tho and brings me meals!

what do u lot think: my boyf eats meat and i dont and i dont mind whether our daughter eats meat or not (when shes older lol) but I think she should hav no meat until shes old enough 2 understand what it is and decide 4 herself; he thinks we should do the opposite- feed it to her until she decides NOT to eat it anymore. which way around is right?

I'm a veggie, have been for nearly 18 years (since I was 4), gave meat up when mum told me where meat came from, don't eat ANY meat (fish, chicken or any of them - can't understand them "Veggies" who don't eat meat but eat fish - hmmm :think: you're not a veggie then!!)

I drink soya milk as I read a story about cow's milk and it put me off it for life. Everything that goes in my shopping basket and mouth I check the labels and I know if something is derived from an animal so there's no fooling me :shakehead: :rotfl:

We use Quorn for nearly every meal and my favourite meal is bolognese. Lennon is a vegetarian, he eats what I eat and i'll raise him that way until he's old enough to make his own decision

Meals I have are -

Bolognese
Roast
Cottage Pie
Chilli
Stir Fry
Pesto
Pizza

All using veggie ingredients

Children's veg curry 4 servings for child aged about 5 or 2 adult and child

fry a little mild (e.g.korma) curry paste in a little oil, add finely chopped onion, 2 diced sweet potatoes, 4 tbsp red lentils and any other veg you like (I add baby spinach) Stir to coat in the spice and oil mix. Add 400ml can coconut milk, and about 300ml veg stock. Simmer for about 15 mins. Add frozen peas and simmer for about another 15 mins till it thickens

I've also added chopped up baby potatoes to this and then you don't need rice etc. If anyone not veg, stirfry diced chicken breast and add to sauce after serving vegetarians.

Oh dear this thread is now making me question whether I should eat fish or not. I dont eat pork beef or lamb but do eat fish because I feel comfortable with it. Not sure about chicken but do sometimes eat it.
I'm in no way a 'preacher' though. I'm confused!!!

Why? Each person has different thoughts views and beliefs. I'm not vegetarian but respect anyone who is - just as I respects other's beliefs in other areas, but don't have to follow them to respect them.

I love vegetarian cookery though and I'm quite happy not to eat meat. I end up choosing the vegetarian option quite often in restaurants - generally its more tasty :D

because I dont know anything about how fish feel when they are caught - i've never thought about it. And now I'm reading this I'm wondering what the best thing to do is. I wish I knew what I was meant to eat.

trixipaws said:
what do u lot think: my boyf eats meat and i dont and i dont mind whether our daughter eats meat or not (when shes older lol) but I think she should hav no meat until shes old enough 2 understand what it is and decide 4 herself; he thinks we should do the opposite- feed it to her until she decides NOT to eat it anymore. which way around is right?

Sorry to agree with you OH but i think he is right. I am bringing Ellis up as a meat eater until he tells me he dont want to eat meat. Reason being..... Some people eat meat because they believe its not wrong to kill animals because it is what they are breed for ...... so if i was to bring ellis up not feeding him meat i would be pushing my views of it being "wrong" on him before he has even decided.

I have been a veggi for 15 years, since i was 10 when i just decided with a friend it was gross and asked me mum if i could stop. Now i couldnt even consider eatting meat as i just think its gross, eating something that has been pooing and breathing etc!!! :puke: :puke: haha

Answer to your question Dionne.....
I just eat what ever i am making for Richie and Ellis but with Quorn products.....
Spag bol (meat pot and quorn pot)
Lasagne (meat and qourn one)
Vegetable curry (for all of us)
Sweet and sour (jar) with extra veg and quorn pieces.
Pie (quorn for me meat for DF & Ellis) and smash ( LOVE SMASH!! haha)

xxxxxxxxxxx

i wouldnt stop my kids eating meat, i will just let them decide its easier for me that they eat meat sasuage rolls etc they love them. and its the normal to eat meat so rather them not be differnt at partys and school etc

i am the same as trixipaws
i dont eat any meat or fish but the tablets and sweets with gelatine dont bother me.

veggies dont eat Party rings either as they use crushed beatles for the colouring, i love party rings too lol

lots of things have crushed beetles in, its called E120. :puke:

xxxxx

Keely said:
lots of things have crushed beetles in, its called E120. :puke:

xxxxx
do you still eat them?

i would rather not know what else :lol: i used to love party rings :evil:

omg i didnt know that! I knew that walkers cheese and onion used to have rennet for flavouring which is something to do with cows stomachs, but have changed it recently to vegetarian.

Yep - the animal rennet used in some cheese flavour crisps is derived from calf's stomachs (as you say the Walkers C&O are now veggie)

Dorito's as far as I know use animal rennet. Some cheeses use animal rennet - others don't

Not sure if anyone's already mentioned it but gelatine used for jelly and other things (like sweets) is extracted from the collagen inside animals' connective tissue (crushed cattle bones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back