Anne Geddes photography - your opinions please!

laetitia85

Reaction score
I absolutely love Anne Geddes photography. I don't personally think she is 'degrading' or 'being cruel' to babies, as a lot of people say. What do you think? Would you let your baby model for her?
For those who don't know her:
http://www.annegeddes.com

(I'm up for a good debate on this quiet sunday :lol: )

Kimbo said:
why is that degrading?? :think:

a lot of people say that it is cruel to subject baby models to hours of work, a bit like modelling.
Others say "try and put adults in terra cotta flower pots for the sake of photography and see how they react" so they argue that it is just as degrading for babies.
Others even say that some of the babies look like they're being suffocated on some of the pictures, and snuggled into awkward positions...

my argument is that Anne Geddes is not the first person to use baby models. there is nothing new to it, as long as it is done properly - parents are on the set, they have agreed to it, babies can play around in a relaxed atmosphere, they're paid, they're treated well (obvisouly) and fed, they can sleep (as seen on a lot of her pictures) etc. the conditions of work are good so i don't think it's cruelty.

I think the whole think is quite cute to look at. And what a lot of people don't know is that most of those pictures are computerised, modified to make them look a certain way so that the baby doesn't have to make the effort himself to be in an awckward position etc...

I have to say that I find it all rather creepy somehow. Just my opinion. It's not that I think it's cruel at all but if my mum had done that to me or my brother I would have been a bit miffed when I got older. For that reason I didn't dress Mel up when he was a baby in costumes etc but if he wants to now he's older and can refuse it then I would love him to! He didn't want to wear a costume at halloween but a bought a couple that will do him for next year in the sale for 1.50 (a cat and a monster) as I think 3 year olds are more up for it?

Anyway, just my opinion like I say but I don't really like seeing little babies dressed up like that. Toddlers and kids who are into it yes but each to their own!

+++

I don't think they are degrading for the reasons you have put but I do think they are degrading as I think babies look cute as they are and don't see the point of dressing them up as fluffy animals or putting them in flower pots. We had a pixi photo shoot when Seren was 10 weeks and the photographer wanted to put Seren in a flower pot or a tin bath much to my horror :rotfl: Mnaged to escape, though she didn't escape the feather boa, and she sobbed - thats my girl!

I do like some of her stuff,the more natural styles, but the other stuff is not my taste sorry

I like the very natural looking ones too, just a B&W pic of a baby being held by huge hands kinds thing, the fluffy stuff just makes me giggle.

I can't see how it's possibly cruel... the pics show how chilled the babies are, a baby that was doing a hard days work does not look that relaxed LOL
I hate seeing screaming babies in Eastenders and stuff more than that.

Its not my cup of tea. I like natural photos, not staged ones. We've never had Isaac's photo's done professionally, well only the ones you get at the hospital. Why spend all that money when you can take your own pics of your child in their own surroundings, relaxed and happy? Also I don't like the photo's of babies naked on a furry rug or sat on a box with a back drop of clouds. Just not our thing.

Each to their own though, I'm not knocking it :)

I love them. The pics are intended to make you smile and they do just that :D

I wouldnt dress my own baby up like it though. I recently saw in the Mothercare Christmas catalogue outfits to dress your LO up as a christmas pud or something like it and thought how uncomfy a little baby would be dressed up like that. With the modelling work though I doubt very much the babies are uncomfy at anytime and aren't made to wear those outfits for very long at all.

It was a snowman....

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

I hate them, it is just my opinion though, I think they are awful and insult a babies intelligence

:roll: lol, makes me laugh. I think they are cute :lol: ... as long as 'working conditions' are good and babies are left alone when they get tired etc I see no problem with it.

I doubt they'd be able to make babies look like that if it wasn't comfortable. I know if I try to take nice pic of JT and he isn't in the mood you can tell he's p'd off by looking at photo. he'd be like this ... :x :x :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back