Hunting, Do you agree with it POLL

I dont think fish suffer pain like us humans do (although this is yet to be proved) but they certainly suffer stress.

i'm with tillytots. i've grown up in a rural/riding/hunting environment - foxes are vermin. i've seen a hen house that a fox got into - every last chicken was ripped to shreds; and i've seen lambs torn apart, uneaten.

i've also seen a fox in the last stages of death after being shot on farmland - it looked as if it had taken several days to die. farmers may be able to cull foxes by shooting them, but it doesn't mean that all the foxes are going to be shot well and cleanly.

its always going to be an emotive issue but there are many false and unfair assumptions, eg people on hunts are toffs with too much time & money - that one pisses me right off.

i've never been hunting and i used to be v anti. but having seen both sides of the story, my opinions now rest with the pro-hunting community.

people never seem to get as worked up over rabbits, which always strikes me as odd :think: if people are getting upset over fluffy foxes, surely they should be up in arms over cute fluffy rabbits/hares in the same way?

Hmmmmm I say no I don't think its nice to kill them for fun HOWEVER Tilly willy poses a vg point so im going to sit on this lovely comfy fence while the debate continues...

To add to the fish comment, people DO go fishing for fun and then take it home as a treat.

It's hard because in this day and age i can;t even use the we need meat for survival argument because we don't...

(Sharne sits on fence for a lickle while)

All I can say is poor Basil :(

rush.jpg

i meant to add before - presumably everyone who disagrees with fox hunting on humane grounds will only ever buy free-range meat & eggs (ensuring that anything they eat in restaurants etc is the same)? because anything else would be hypocrisy surely? :wink: :D

I go on a hunt every Boxing day.

Like purple13 just said, just because you think the farmers are shooting them to protect their stock they are not all marksmen and might not always (not on purpose) shoot or poison a fox efficiently IYKWIM.

My OH is a farmer and he hates foxes they are such a pain to the farmers. They kill the lambs given half a chance and dont actually bring any good to the farm.

They also have a bunch of shooters to go up take care of the rabbitts and birds but no one ever raises an eyebrow to them

Man has hunted from the dawn of time, i dont think anyone can/should change that.

I grew up in rural somerset and foxes are a pest...big time, not only to farmers but to our other native wildlife as they have no real preditors to control numbers..

Thousands need to be culled yearly, as do red deer as part of countryside management.

Personally i was pissed off about the ban, mainly as it recieved over 20 hours of palimentary debating time...pushed on by people who see the countryside as somewhere pretty to go for a picnic rather that the working place it is. Whereas some child protection bills got considerably less...go figure!

I wonder what response it would have got if us yokles started medling in city affairs?

Anyhow its a relection of us as a nation, animal mad, i hope one day that children's charities would get more than animal ones.

Personally i havent been on a hunt but we all missed witnessing it and were sad to see another tradition bannished by ill-informed, well-meaning townies!

I have killed a chicken for meat before and would be prepared to do so again, when i look at a pig i see bacon!! yummy

purple13 said:
i'm with tillytots. i've grown up in a rural/riding/hunting environment - foxes are vermin. i've seen a hen house that a fox got into - every last chicken was ripped to shreds; and i've seen lambs torn apart, uneaten.

i've also seen a fox in the last stages of death after being shot on farmland - it looked as if it had taken several days to die. farmers may be able to cull foxes by shooting them, but it doesn't mean that all the foxes are going to be shot well and cleanly.

its always going to be an emotive issue but there are many false and unfair assumptions, eg people on hunts are toffs with too much time & money - that one p*sses me right off.

i've never been hunting and i used to be v anti. but having seen both sides of the story, my opinions now rest with the pro-hunting community.

people never seem to get as worked up over rabbits, which always strikes me as odd :think: if people are getting
upset over fluffy foxes, surely they should be up in arms over cute fluffy rabbits/hares in the same way?

No hunting is right but an animals instinct is to kill to survive and although sad that is just nature.
Hunting is not.

sparky said:
Man has hunted from the dawn of time, i dont think anyone can/should change that.

I grew up in rural somerset and foxes are a pest...big time, not only to farmers but to our other native wildlife as they have no real preditors to control numbers..

Thousands need to be culled yearly, as do red deer as part of countryside management.

Personally i was p*ssed off about the ban, mainly as it recieved over 20 hours of palimentary debating time...pushed on by people who see the countryside as somewhere pretty to go for a picnic rather that the working place it is. Whereas some child protection bills got considerably less...go figure!

I wonder what response it would have got if us yokles started medling in city affairs?

Anyhow its a relection of us as a nation, animal mad, i hope one day that children's charities would get more than animal ones.

Personally i havent been on a hunt but we all missed witnessing it and were sad to see another tradition bannished by ill-informed, well-meaning townies!

I have killed a chicken for meat before and would be prepared to do so again, when i look at a pig i see bacon!! yummy
why do you think it shouldnt change? slavery was once accepted but how wrong was that!!!! :?

hennaly said:
sparky said:

Personally i was p*ssed off about the ban, mainly as it recieved over 20 hours of palimentary debating time...pushed on by people who see the countryside as somewhere pretty to go for a picnic rather that the working place it is. Whereas some child protection bills got considerably less...go figure!

why do you think it shouldnt change? slavery was once accepted but how wrong was that!!!! :?

Yes exactly, its wrong and just because it has been going on since time began does not make it ok :?

Firstly you cant compare hunting and slavery a human life IS MORE VALUABLE. a fox is VERMIN. I personally dont agree with arranged or forced marrigaes but wouldnt dare interfere with another cultures way of life or traditions, even if I feel its outdated and barbaric

because it served a valuable function, its not a toff's game like most people mentioned. Not only does it cull the population but it provides a social backdrop and meeting place in areas where geography makes it harder for communities to come together. Our local hunt were also prolific fundraisers!

I think traditions are important, its about our way of life, also if hunting can be banned by statute it means that the gloves are on for other traditions. I'm opposed to interferance by people who neither understand or are affected by hunting...its like the woman who moved next door to us from London when we were kids, who actually complained to environmental health as the tractor that went by at 5.30am was too noisey!! :rotfl:

Sorry but fundraising out of chasing and ripping apart foxes, is that a joke??
Foxes are still animals regardless of what category you put them into and deliberately chasing them and ripping them from limb to limb is just heartless.

my mil owns lots of land and horses etc and she once said to me although she didnt hunt herself she would allow the hunt on her land as she felt living in the country she should honour their culture so i told her never to go to a place where there were canibals :shakehead:
I dont believe in living my life for what other people think, as far as im concerned fox hunting is wrong as it is done for the thrill full stop i wont change my mind to suit a snobby sport.

i knew i was gonna get on my high horse about this so am gonna go get back in my hole for now :doh: (pardon the pun!!)

hennaly said:
i knew i was gonna get on my high horse about this so am gonna go get back in my hole for now :doh: (pardon the pun!!)

:rotfl:

A good debate is good for you...falls over with stress :rotfl: :rotfl:

Morganuk said:
hennaly said:

usually i would agree but this one makes my blood boil and i get feelings i dont like :(

hennaly said:
Morganuk said:
hennaly said:

usually i would agree but this one makes my blood boil and i get feelings i dont like :(

Yes I understand hun :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

If you are planning on killing the animal for food then there isn't anything wrong with hunting and if you are a meat eater and believe hunting for food is cruel, I would like to ask how rare do you like your steaks. :wink:

Hunting because its sport is a far different ball game. That is cruel. I live in a country where blood sports are a national treasure and heritage... saying that I do watch the occasional bull fight replay on the news, when some idiot gets himself mauled by the bull...I love that sort of blood sport :lol: (the bull mauling the human that is :lol: stupid human)

As for pest control, shoot it or lay traps. Don't go hunting for it...because lets face it you probably won't get the real animal that did it...and what will it achieve ? Foxes apparently breed like cats so even if you do manage to kill maybe 20 in one day.... you're still fighting a loosing battle.

I'm not the type of person who cries when a beloved pet dies... its an animal, sorry it is...nothing more. You were always going to out live them, You can buy another one... and in general most animals are replaceable in terms of cats, dogs, foxes, rabbits...etc. But if you are going to kill an animal you should have compassion and do it quick... not draw it out... i.e. have the animal chased for hours, then have it torn apart. Thats not right...we have the ability to use guns for a reason.

the fund raising wasnt a joke... the riding for the disabled school were always very grateful.

Re chasing them and ripping them limb from limb...how do you think basil catches his dinner :D

Its all about perception i grew up seeing foxes as pest, pets for home and animals for food. Just because they are cute looking doesnt make any difference.

I'd be interested in what you all thought of the uist hedgehog cull when locals and kids each got a fiver for a hedgehog, dead or alive....it was quite the thing for a few weeks and there were even chelids in its honor...that was the year before last i think?

Or the push to have a massive slay of squirrels to help our native reds..

I suppose the only way to banish the killing of foxes would be to re-introduce wolves back into the british countryside so that they had a natural preditor...wonder what bill oddie would think...lol

People will probably view me as an animal hater, infact i have a very strong attachment to three goldfish, and my garden has been made a haven for our native birds...Please feed them people at this time of year!

Squiglet said:
If you are planning on killing the animal for food then there isn't anything wrong with hunting and if you are a meat eater and believe hunting for food is cruel, I would like to ask how rare do you like your steaks. :wink:

Hunting because its sport is a far different ball game. That is cruel. I live in a country where blood sports are a national treasure and heritage... saying that I do watch the occasional bull fight replay on the news, when some idiot gets himself mauled by the bull...I love that sort of blood sport :lol: (the bull mauling the human that is :lol: stupid human)

As for pest control, shoot it or lay traps. Don't go hunting for it...because lets face it you probably won't get the real animal that did it...and what will it achieve ? Foxes apparently breed like cats so even if you do manage to kill maybe 20 in one day.... you're still fighting a loosing battle.

I'm not the type of person who cries when a beloved pet dies... its an animal, sorry it is...nothing more. You were always going to out live them, You can buy another one... and in general most animals are replaceable in terms of cats, dogs, foxes, rabbits...etc. But if you are going to kill an animal you should have compassion and do it quick... not draw it out... i.e. have the animal chased for hours, then have it torn apart. Thats not right...we have the ability to use guns for a reason.

Exactly
Fox hunting with dogs and horses is not a traditional countryside pursuit. it's a traditional ARISTOCRATIC pursuit for those who can afford it. It's nothing to do with the coutnryside. I can shoot, and have done when necessary, but personally I find nothing funny or entertaining about running an animal to death over the course of often an entire day. And that's coming from someone who lives in the countryside,knows the countryside, and had a horse and went DRAG hunting on Boxing/New years day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back