HPT

LouLou1986

Reaction score
When To Test

Given the fact that implantation normally takes place from 7 to 10 days after ovulation - an extremely sensitive test can give a positive test result 1 day after implantation. Most directions say that you can test on the day your cycle is due. However you can test much earlier if you can pinpoint ovulation and possible implantation. I received a positive test result 4 days before my menstural cycle was due.

A False Negative

The chances of receiving a false negative test result is greater than that of a false positive. The reasons for a false negative are that the body may not be producing enough hCG for that particular test to detect. Some women have gone as long as 17 days post ovulation before receiving a positive home pregnancy test result.

False-Positives?

If you’ve received a false positive on a home pregnancy it is one of two things. 1. The hpt was faulty.
2. You were indeed pregnant and suffered an early miscarriage (chemical pregnancy) - one that occurs around the time the menstrual cycle is due.

Testing Advice

When doing an HPT, make sure that you discard the test after a specified time. When I was doing a HPT, I waited 5 minuts after the time stated and it came up with a faint +ve. When I went to the DR to confirm the pregancy it was -ve, what I had actually seen was the evaporation line. So PLEASE PLEASE don’t be like me, always follow instructions carefully so that you can save yourself heartache.

Cheap Brands

Are cheap/generic brands of home pregnancy tests any good? Yes, a lot of physician’s offices use these generic brands. Why pay more for a HPT when the cheaper tests are just as good.

Which brand?

There are many different brands of home pregnancy tests out there. Which brand you choose depends upon your preferences. Some brands are the one-step type you urinate directly on - others are cassettes which require the use of a specimen cup. Each brand differs on the sensitivity ratings - some you can test earlier than when your cycle is due - others you may need to wait until the day after.

Testing Early

You can test several days before your missed period if you use a sensitive brand of pregnancy test.

Normal hCG Levels In Pregnancy

The levels are mIU
3 weeks - 5 - 50
4 weeks - 3 - 426
5 weeks - 19 - 7,340
6 weeks - 1,080 - 56,500
7-8 weeks - 7,650 - 229,000
9-12 weeks - 25,700 - 288,000
13-16 weeks - 13,300 - 254,000
17-24 weeks - 4,060 - 165,400
25-40 weeks - 3,640 - 117,000

HPT´s That Detect 20-25 mIU/hCG

AimStick Pregnancy Test - detects 20 mIU
Clearblue Easy (U.K.) - detects 25 mIU
Confirm 1-Step - detects 25 mIU
CVS - detects 25 mIU
Day Seven (CDN) - detects 25 mIU
Health Check - detects 25 mIU
Insta Test hCG - detects 25 mIU
Lifesign One-Step - detects 25 mIU
LifeSign 1 Midstream - detects 25 mIU
One Step Be Sure - detects 25 mIU
Rapid Self-Test (U.K.) - detects 25 mIU
First Response detects - 20 mIU

HPT´s That Detect 40-50 mIU/hCG

Boots (U.K.) - detects 50 mIU
Clearblue Easy - (U.S.) detects 50 mIU
Early Bird One Step (U.K.) - detects 50 mIU
early Pregnancy test - detects 50 mIU
e.p.t. - detects 40 mIU
Hannaford - detects 50 mIU
Predictor (U.K.) - detects 50 mIU
Rite-Aid - detects 50 mIU
Selfcare - detects 50 mIU
Target - detects 50

HPT´s That Detect 100 mIU/hCG

Answer - detects 100 mIU
concive - detects 100 mIU
Equate (Wal*Mart) detects - 100 mIU
First Response (U.S.) - detects 100 mIU
Precise - detects 100 mIU
QTest - detects 100 mIU
Walgreens - detects 100 mIU
These test - detect 150+ mIU/hCG
Fact Plus - detects 150-250 mIU

Last edited:
this is my reserch!!

Out of 18 brands tested, the most sensitive test on the first and second day after a missed period was First Response Early Result. It appeared to detect pregnancy in 95 percent of women.

The second most sensitive test was Clearblue Easy. In a follow up study it appeared to detect 80 percent of pregnancies. Other tests only seemed able to detect 16 percent of "early" pregnancies, but became more effective over time, as more days had passed.

You could have just linked us to the site haha :D

What are you trying to discover with your research?

I have clear blue plus and it says in the instructions 53% detection accuracy on 4 days before period.

It's fine if you get a positive result early, but if you get a BFN that's when the problems start :)

Last edited:
im looking into it as i have read a few posts on here saying certain tests are dogey so if its all in one spot newbies can find info asap :)

Certain tests are dodgy!? Con artists everywhere...

I'm a newbie - i need to know which are fake!

Great research LouLou nice once, thanks very much. I picked up a couple of things I hadnt previously realised. That will help lots of newbies as well xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back