how will i know. help?

nmf1987

Reaction score
this is going to sound really silly but i had a weird dream last night and now am worrying.

i can't get into any antenatal classes and am worrying i wont know when i am actually in labour.

i dont want to be one of those people constantly to and from the hospital pissing the midwives off cos it's not the real thing. alot of people have said you will know when it is for real but is there anything in particular that gives it away etc.

also how long do you leave it before you go to hospital. i dont want to be stuck at the hospital for hours cos i go in too early.

argh help!! xx

Well I've never been in labour before but just from reading on here and other stuff. They say if its the real thing the contractions will get stronger and stronger and more regular.......I think :roll:
Mw said to call labour ward when I have 2/3 contractions in a 10 minute period and are regular.......I think haha. Sorry I'm useless, thats just what I've heard/read but I do believe we will know when it happens.

I never went to any classes with either of my children and believe me I knew when I was in labour! You just know. It's a feeling like no other!

Ignore any typos-my iPhone loves to autocorrect :)

contractions are like when your stomach tenses and goes hard you can get these without pain they are braxton hicks but when they are real contractions that open the cervix then these are painful it will start a dull pain then peak then die off with each contraction the further into labour you are the closer the contraction will come and last longer and hurt slightly more, you wont be able to generally chat through a contraction as you will be concentrating on it hth

ok. thanks. at what stage do i ring hospital then or do i just go in. sorry just suddenly realising i know nothing.

labour isn't worrying me just the whole what to do when it happens. xxx

I got told that I need to ring the labour ward first so they know I cam coming. That is the policy for my hospital anyway. xx

ive been through it b4 and im like u hun so dont worry its not just u i think u do know when u in labour as the pain is bad lol..... i never had a show or waters break just the contractions sore belly and back and i called and they told me to go down when u call the hopsital they will advise u on when to go in and how long to wait... i waited at home and was pretty glad as wasnt stuck waiting around the hospital xx

Dont worry hun - they dont tell you anything at the antenatal class that you cant read on here - this site has given me so much more info than the midwife at my class did!

All you need to do is ring your midwifery suite when your waters break or you think you might be having contractions and they will tell you when to come in x

everyone in my family have said that there waters didnt break until they were in hospital. and when they did it really didnt take too long after for baby to arrive. looks like its going to be contractions i will be looking out for more than anything else then.

we dont always notice a show do we? xxx

No sometimes shows can happen in active labour too and some women may not notice it.

Ive had 2 very different labours so it's hard to say, first one started with contractions that feel like period pains, tightenings and generally like you're opening up inside. My 2nd started with my waters going, thing to look out for with this is any discolouration in the water, which may indicate signs of distress. You need to phone your labour suit ASAP if that happens.

Braxton hicks you can talk through. Contractions will make you stop and breath through them.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back