Antenatal classes.

Taassh_0x

Reaction score
Hey, does anybody know how to book antenatal classes? I'd like to book me some, but I'm not at my local hospital as they no longer have a maternity suite, and I'm going to the nearest one... but I want to go around the labour ward so would I have to go to the classes in that town to have a hospital tour?? and how do you book them? ohh and are they free charge or do you have to put a deposit or what? sorry about the 50 questions lol!!! xthanks

Where do you see your midwife? I see mine at a childrens centre so just had to ask at reception... Also had the option of going to my local hospital for them (just a quick phone call in that case to sort them out)x

your midwife will give you a number to book ur free ante natal classes which have nothing to do with hospital tour. Both are independant of each other if that makes sense. Our hospital runs the tours every like 3rd thur of the month - again your midwife should be able to keep you right on this

We don't get tours at my hospital they have banned them for hygiene reasons??? So I won't see it until I'm in labour :( as for classes I've booked the nct ones which you pay for and you book them through their website, they are held in church halls etc rather than the hospital, but if I'd wanted the free ones I'd go through my midwife who would give me the info and number to call to book. Last apt I went to yesterday she gave me a leaflet with details of an nhs breast feeding class and a number to ring to book on that. I think every hospital differs in what they offer but generally you can't go wrong booking them through your midwife!

I booked mine through my local sure start centre, they are free, and it is best to book a month or so in advance of you commencing them, as they can get pretty full up. Mine are once a week for 3 weeks from 6pm to 8pm.

Our hospital doesnt do the tours anymore as a rule.
but we got to go on one during the antenatal class (as the labour ward was quiet) so i think it differs from hospital to hospital. I booked my class through my consultant midwife at the hospital but usually you ring a number that the midwife gives you and book its all done through the hospital.
NHS classes are usually free but i hear the NCT classes are really good and well worth the money. It is wise to book as soon as you can as they do get pretty full i think i booked mine over a month in advance

I tried booking antenatal classes about 7-8 weeks ago and they are all booked up! They are not free either! So i moaned to my midwife and she has organised some for me and a couple of other younger mums at our local childrens centre which has probably worked out better as there will only be a few of us and i dont have to pay!

I phoned my hospital and booked a hospital tour for a few weeks as they recommend about a month before the birth.

Okay thank you girls :) I'll have to phone doctors on Wednesday and ask to speak to midwife because I completely forgot yesterday! Baby brain!!!! lol x

I've been given dates to go to classes at my local Surestart centre, never got told to book them though, do you have to? xx

Princesspeanut - no you don't have to go but they are recommended, think more first time mums go normally. Also you are entitled to payed time off work for antenatal classes, i have my first on next friday, nice 2 hours outa work hehe! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back