How things change!!

claire81

Reaction score
I've read many posts asking if what people have heard is true, "is it safe to......" "you can't eat......", etc, and i thought how things have changed. Like with my first in 2001, i used to eat a bowl of tuna nearly every day, which is why i had great high iron levels, my midwife thought is was excellent........now your only allowed 1 small bowl a week!!!!

Not ready making bottles, make them as needed, even with Rachael in 2002, it was still ok to ready make them!!

It makes me laff cuz things don't change that much and i think if you believed eveything you wouldn't eat a thing!!!! :rotfl:

I know, makes you think to take these recommendations with a pinch of salt....are we allowed salt? :lol:

My OHs whole family drank unpasturised milk. His Mum drank it in all four pregnancies. He still drinks it now. Reckons it's great for his immune system.

LOL Emmylou!!!!!! What makes me laff though is midwives seem to be pretty laid back if you smoke through pregnancies now and the alcohol intake limit seems to have gone up now too!!!! :wall:

claire81 said:
LOL Emmylou!!!!!! What makes me laff though is midwives seem to be pretty laid back if you smoke through pregnancies now and the alcohol intake limit seems to have gone up now too!!!! :wall:

I know what you mean :wall:

I agree Claire, my mum said she ate anything and everything was she was preg and me and my brother were perfectly healthy!

My view is everything in moderation, if you were to stick to every single 'guideline' you read then you would probably have a pretty miserable pregnancy!!!!

JaidyBaby said:
I agree Claire, my mum said she ate anything and everything was she was preg and me and my brother were perfectly healthy!

My view is everything in moderation, if you were to stick to every single 'guideline' you read then you would probably have a pretty miserable pregnancy!!!!

Thats exactly my attitude!! 8) I have probably broken every rule! :shock:

Exactly, i mean i dont eat things like cheese and pate anyway, but i got told by my midwife "no fizzy pop" i thought b**ls to that!!! I do't drink squash and i'm not drinking water til May!!!!! :lol:

why no fizzy pop???? i have gone of it anyway but curious

:shock: my only craving is fizzy pop...please please dont tell me I cant drink that?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pray: :shakehead:

I think they don't advise it cuz it gives us gas! :shock: But thats my way of gettig my hubby back :rotfl: :rotfl:

I just use my common sense.

I certainly don't intend to starve my way through pregnancy!

My last pg was 1998 so imagine what has changed since then! :shock: :D

Our parents never used to bother with all of this and we're in one piece and managing to reproduce! :shakehead:

Exactly, we all know not to have undercooked chicken and not too much alcohol etc, but you're so limited when you're pregna nt anyway, if we stuck to every rule we'd be posting some pretty depressing posts!!

My Dr was pretty strict about what he thought I should and shouldn't eat and drink.

I must admit, so far I haven't had any problem with missing what I can't have, more of a problem is what I should have!

Veggies just don't taste right at the moment... :(

The way i see it is its only a few months and if it could be beneficial to baby's development, its not much of a loss for me.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't eat anything thats been proved harmful like runny eggs, pate, etc, the things that have always been banned, but they seem to be adding things on like the tuna!!!! If it really was harful my 5 yr old would be affected as i said before, i ate a bowl a day, it was a craving!! Now they say not to. My girls in top group and is brilliant at school (proud mom showing off) and has no health probs :D

The food restrictions haven't woried me too much although my mum told me when she was having me her docotr told her to eat plenty of liver, and yet they tell me know not to eat it!!

Thing that bothers me is the way they hand you leaflet upon leaflet about birth defects and handicaps and really force it down your throat, every baby manual or magazine I read all I see is Downs syndrome this and spina bifida that!

Its ridiculous the worry they out on us, I wish it was like it was when my mum had me... Ignorance was bliss!! I might be alone on this but I would rather not worry about these things than have t be faced with them 24/7!

Phew feel better for that rant :rotfl:

No, i totally agree, it completely takes most of the enjkoyment and fascination out of pregnancy because you're too worried about what you're eating, or doing and it just gets to a point where you think, well it did me and my brother no harm, you know!

i've been told to avoid alcohol- my mum drank A PINT of guinness every day when she was pg with me in 1980 (for the iron content, apparently- she hated it!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back