How hard was it to get a elective c section?

claire_louise9

Reaction score
I have a consultant appointment at the end of the month as I want a elective c section due to the fact I had a emergency one with my DD who caught a infection and was very ill from my waters slowly leaking for 27 hours . I don't want to have the risk of this ever happening again. I know every birth is different but I'm not taking that chance .

Did anyone have to really push for a elective c section as i am really worried I will get turned down , even though the NHS says anyone can have a c section I have heard it can be hard to get one.

Last edited:
If you've already had a c section before I'd say it would be easier to get an elective this time round? Rather than a first time Mum asking for one. Although I do know someone who had an elective with her first. Not sure how hard it was for her to convince them though.

if you get a sympathetic gp it shouldnt be hard . i had ptsd going into my last pregnancy and my gp said if i wanted a c section to reduce the risk of any more psychological trauma she would ok it. So mental health reasons are valid reasons for c section

Normally if you've had a previous section that's the first thing they discuss with you and you can opt for an elective.x

I asked at my 10 week midwife appointment and was refered to a consultant nothing was dicussed with me. But if the same one I am seing refused my midwife when she wanted one , it's just got me worried that he's a hard one to convince.

Last edited:
I had a traumatic forceps delivery with my first and really looking into having an elective c section with my next , hope they won’t turn me down . The fact that you already had a c - section will make it easier to get one second time from what I heard . X

Just to update. I did get the c section I wanted. The consultant agreed it was the sensible thing to choose and she would have chosen to have one too if she was me.

That’s good, I hope it’s put your mind at rest :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back