Membrane sweep??

purpleisa

Reaction score
as some of you may know I ended up having DD by c section four years ago following a labour which failed to progress (and baby getting distressed).

My due date is today and I have a elective section booked for next Wed (giving me a week to go into labour and attempt VBAC). I'm generally happy with this decision as I have been told that failure to progress is more likely after 41 weeks and I'm sure I will be quite fed up by then. I have also been told that labour will have to be "going well" or it could be an emergency section anyway.

I have a check up with M/W on Monday and she is not sure if she is allowed to do a sweep given the previous section but she'll find out by then. What I'm wondering is

1. are you allowed a sweep if you've had a past section? - anyone know?

2. is it worth it - given I will be having elective section on the Wednesday and if I get to Monday VBAC not seeming so likely. If I end up with a section anyway is there any point in going into labour?

I think I'm giving up hope on my VBAC.....

Yeah they can still give u a sweep after a previous section (il have mine next Friday if no baby by then) but it's ur choice if u really want the vbac then go for it xx

i wouldnt see why you cant have one, especially if youre hoping for a VBAC, if it doesnt work then oh well, you tried xx

Thanks everyone!

The reason I thought I might not be able to have it is because some methods of induction can be dodgy aftr a previous section. I think I will just see how I feel on Monday. I'd hate to have a sweep and start having contractions or whatever and it all end in a section anyway. I suppose I feel for some reason that if I start labour unaided then I'll have a better chance but maybe that's rubbish. I feel ok just now and knowing the section is booked it is very tempting not to mess around with things (I'm not too posh to push but atm it does seem like the easy option!) Mind u major surgery is best avoided if possible ... and I have a feeling body will decide for me one way or another soon.

I was unsure about induction methods after previous section but my mw said it varies to which consultant u have,some will break waters then put u on a drip whilst others use the traditional gel method xx

Ah! I know that there is one of the hormones (dunno which) they won't use in my health board but tbh I'm not heart set on VBAC - just think I'd get better a lot quicker. Had no probs getting over last section (mind u I didn't have a four year old to look after as well then!)

The other thing I forgot to ask is is a sweep painful??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back