How do you make up bottles

Sam2013

Reaction score
Is it ok to make up formula bottles and stick em straight in the fridge for later ? X

Didnt want to read and run, I did it occasionally but not often, I put water in the bottles let it cool then added the milk when he needed it altho this isn't the recommended way of doing it but my boys insisted it be room temp no warmer or colder or they would refuse lol.

I've always made up a couple and stored them in the fridge and Jules has always been fine! Just warm when required. X x

Everyone will have their own way of doing things . I make up all the bottles I will need for the day in the morning, pop them in the fridge then heat in a jug of boiling water when needed. Have done this since day 1 and Emily is fine xx

I make up 5 at at time at 10pm at night that will do me until the next evening, I have tried making them fresh but being home alone is not easy when baby wont be put down

Ive got a tommee tipee perfect prep mqchine. Dunno how I lived with out it with my first!!

mummy to ds 11/7/11
mummy to dd 16/9/13

It all confuses me they say boil each one to kill germs in the formula but if you use sma gold for colic it says to make it with cold water pre boiled, so must need it germs killing but don't understand why. Two kids on I still don't know. x

I made mine up for the day and stored in the fridge, stevey was fine. As for night feed i had a bottle warmer in my bedroom and took a pre-made bottle to bed with us for the 3am feed x

It is not the advice given now you should make them as you go along and discard made up powder after an hour as research has shown that there can be a build up of bacteria linked to meningitis. Powder needs to be mixed in water that is 70 degrees to kill any bacteria that could be in the powder. Colic and prescription formulas are different in how they are made, due to what is in them and the carob to thicken them. For night time I have a travel kettle in the bedroom on a tray and have a box of formula up there (a flask could be an alternative). I just take my 3 empty bottles with me and her infacol.

I just make mine up for the day and add powder, Alice is fine and so is Tempy xx

Yeh everyone is different..

Im similar to redbear

Make up 4oz cool boiled water then hen he needs a bottle top up an extra 2oz boiling water add powder and gaviscon.
For bed i bring up a TT flask of boiling water that stays boiling all night and again add th extra oz's when hr needs the bottle then add the formula and gaviscon.
Seems to work for us as at te beginning he would be having bottles left right and centre and couldnt keep a crying baby waitng while boiling hot water cooled!! Xx

Emily has now dropped her night feeds but I just done the same as I done during the day. X

When I first stopped breast feeding and moved onto formula feeding I made the bottles up as per instructions on the box. But as Thomas was so young when he wanted a bottle he wanted it immediately and would scream blue murder whilst I was trying to cool the boiling hot milk for him to drink. Spoke to a midwife about it and she said to ignore the instructions (she joked they must have been written by a man who had never had to deal with a screaming baby at 3 in the morning!!). She said to sterilise the bottles, boil the water and let it cool in the kettle for 30 minutes. Put the cooled water in the bottles and put them in the fridge, this keeps everything sterile. Then when you need to do a feed get the bottle out of the fridge, add the milk powder and then warm the bottle in a bowl of hot water. I actually only part fill the bottle with cool water before putting it in the fridge, then top it up with boiling water at feed time so it's the right temp - again everything is sterile as water has been in the fridge and the added water is boiled. We haven't had any upset stomachs in the 9 months I've been doing this!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back