How do you know when to start weaning?

jennilisanne

Reaction score
Sophia is now 4 months, and I don't know if she's getting enough from me, or whether I should give her bottles as well, or start weaning. How do you know when they're ready?

I put a teeny bit of mirangue (sp?!) in her moth the other day and it came straight out - does that mean she's not ready? And milk wise, she still wants feeding nearly every hour unless we're out or at night.

Confused!!!

Last edited:
It could be meringue was too sweet or sticky. Start with a teeny amount of baby rice mixed with some milk.

If she is feeding every hour that means she's really hungry and so may be worth trying to fill her up more with food.

Is she chewing her hands all the time and watching you eat? If so, she's ready.

She's always chewing her hands, or anything else that is in reach! Not sure about watching us eat; she tries to grab my bowl of cereal if I'm holding her, but again, it's anything I'm holding she wants to hold.

Will get some baby rice and give it a go, thanks!

I'd try her with baby rice, porridge or pureed fruit or veg first. It takes time for them to learn how to move food around their mouth so they do spit it out to start off with. Just keep trying with small amounts.
As for feeding every hour, could she be using you for comfort?
I started weaning charley at 4 months just for the sake of it but he became ill so stopped. I then started again at 5 months and it was alot more easier. Try to hold out for as long as poss x x

I personally would try her with a bottle as well, I never had enough milk for Zachary, which is why I stopped breastfeeding at 6 weeks. When he was on formula ( the right type, he had milk protein intolerance) he was so much more content, and much less hungry. He wasn't ready for food until 6 and a half months, didn't know what to do with the food in his mouth xx

I started giving Ella a bit of baby rice from 4 months and since then she has also tried fruit & beg purees. I did it because she was always hungry and didn't think she was getting enough from me despite me introducing a formula bottle at night too. We're now completely formula feeding after a bad bout of thrust meaning my nipples crusting up (nice!) She's actually been happier and a better sleeper since which tells me I wasn't giving her what she needed. She doesn't really have enough 'food' to warrant dropping a milk feed yet, not sure when to take that next step but I'd definitely say try her with a bit of rice. If she gets sick or constipated, stop and try again later, she'll let you know if she's ready, Ella can't get enough!
It's great fun though, video her first taste, we did and I love watching her reaction!

ive started giving lucy as few mouthfulls of rice but she seems to spit it out. tried a mashed rusk today and she was the same!!. do you think that is a sign she isnt ready or just doesnt like it!! really hard this baby stuff!!xx sorry for hijacking thread xx

I would try her out on some baby rice or porridge to start with hun and see how she gets on with it? If she takes to it really well (like my Layla did) then try her on small amounts of fruits and veggies etc... also what I did with Layla. I've been trying Layla out on different fruits and veg for nearly 2 months now and she's loving it ALL. It's so lovely to see. If you make your own purees etc just make sure NOT to add any salt or sugar (not sure if you cook your veg with salt at all but shouldn't for babies). I steam all my veg so Layla gets all the goodness and fullest flavour of them that she can. I bought a jar of carrot and potato and tried some myself lol and OMG how bland it was lol... she can't get enough of my "homemade" pureed veggies hehe.

One piece of advice though that I think all the ladies with agree with... don't try her on too much too soon. It's very much a take it slow process and let your baby lead you. You will know if she wants more, doesn't want it etc. However, be aware for her to "screw her face up" when trying new foods initially. You just have to keep trying.

Hope that helps! Good luck :) xx

ive started giving lucy as few mouthfulls of rice but she seems to spit it out. tried a mashed rusk today and she was the same!!. do you think that is a sign she isnt ready or just doesnt like it!! really hard this baby stuff!!xx sorry for hijacking thread xx

Could be both hun. Have you only tried the once? Or have you tried several times? It also take a bit of time for them to learn how to swallow "food" rather than "liquid" if that makes sense? Maybe try again or try a porridge instead?

Last edited:

When I tried zac with porridge/baby rice at 5 months he would just open his mouth wide, stick his tongue out and the food would just fall out! He definately wasn't ready, is this similar to what your LO is doing? When he was ready he started moving it round his mouth and then swallowing it, this was at 6 and a half months xx

i started to wean my lo early as everyone kept telling me he was ready. in hindsight i wish id have waited because knowing what i know now, he wasnt ready at all! he took AGES to get used to the food in his mouth, at least 6 months before he willingly opened his mouth and took easily from the spoon! i deffo think maybe you should try with bottles? experiment a bit with formula, hungry baby milk maybe? and try and hold back as long as you can?

Agree with the other ladies, Lo will let you know. 4 months is early but for some babies is the right time. If they're moving the food around in their mouth, swallowing and opening their mouths for more (or throwing themselves at the spoon in Ella's case!) Then I would assume they're ready!

Also when trying new things, leave a few days between each new food so if Lo does have a reaction, It's easier to pinpoint what has caused it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back