When to Start Weaning?????

Rooander

Reaction score
HELP!!!!
Ruby is now 4 months old and is breastfed. My HV said I should wait until shes 6 months old to start weaning her unless she craves more milk and starts to wake in the night. Shes very contented and to be honest doesnt seem too fussed about feeding time at all. She doesnt wake in the night either.
What do you think I should do?
At her last weighing clinic the HV worried me abit because she said she was going beneath the chart line in their red book but at the same time she said she looks a healthy baby.
Should I start to wean her or keep breastfeeding her exclusively until she shows signs of being more hungrey?????
I am sooooooo confused!!!!

Hi Rooander
Well, I think I would be inclined to wait a bit longer, as it is meant to be much better for them. Oscar is showing some interest in food, but I'll be holding back for as long as I can. He's also below the 50 percentile line.
Oscar is nearly 17 weeks and only weighs 12lbs, but he is a tall boy. :D
So my advice would be.... hold off as long as you can until closer to 6 mths. She'll guide you. :D
Emilia xx

Yeah I think you should hold off as long as possible. Aimee is almost 20 weeks and only weighs 14lb and I started weaning her at 17 weeks but just because she isn't relly interesed in her milk and never has been. She was showing all other signs of been ready for solid food and I am just happy to get some food in her. Her milk intake has only dropped by on average 5oz per day. But I'd say if she is happy with her milk leave her for now.

I agree, I started weaning Brody at 4 months, when he was waking every 2 hours in the night, and my HV agreed.
If your baby is content I would follow HV advice is the recommendation is 6 months, I would try to wait till at least 5 months if you can.

Thanks girls, its put my mind at rest, I really didnt want to start weaning her just yet. Im going to weighing clinic today so Ill see how her weight is.
xxxxxxxxxxx

Don't forget the charts in the books are based on Formula Fed babies. HV's really get on my tits when they start worrying mother's that their babies aren't thriving just because they aren't following the lines for FF babies (who normally put on more weight). Don't feel pressured into weaning Ruby - if she's still sleeping well, not excessively feeding (remember she'll be having her 4 month growth spurt soon but her feeding should settle again), is having plenty of wet/pooey nappies and is alert and happy then you're fine. Tell you're HV to stick their red book up their jacksie :D

Rant over! :lol:

these topics get me so annoyed, im sorry! lol

HV annoy me too

weaning is a diffrent thing completly from just giving soilds.

the recomended age for weaning is 6 motnhs old, but you can give added soilds from 3 to 4 months old, depending on the baby as long as you dont wean.

Coby has a rusk a day aswell as his bottles, he is a very hungry baby and is gaining weight as he should (following up the chart line) my guess is, if i didnt give him the rusk, he would start to drop under the line coz he would be very hungry, but at this stage im not weaning him, he is still having 5 6oz bottles of milk in 24 hours.

HV should really tell mums about adding extras, it annoys me that they dont coz then the parents worry and get stressed

xxxxxx

I have been told that no solids should be given until 17 weeks as baby can't digest them properly. My HV wanted me to give Seren baby rice at 14 weeks but I refused.

Beanie, what is Serens weight?
I worry about givings solids, but I'm under the impression that he's needing it because he feeds 24/7 (incl. all night) plus he hasn't been gaining very much.
I would rather hold off until 5-6 months. What's your opinion?
Emilia xx

Am getting her weighed on Fri. Not had it done for 5 weeks :shock: . She doesn't feel that heavy so am thinking she will have gone down a centile, hoping HV doesn't nag me about formula top ups or weaning as she seems satisfied on my milk, is growing very tall and is alert, giving wet nappies etc. I had an allergy to gluton and therefore want to reduce the risk as much as i can. I really don't think she is ready at the mo, so would like to get to 20 weeks if possible. I read your thread about the baby rice, sounds like Oscar likes his food lol. If he is alert and happy (his development seems amazing) I wouls say don't worry about the weight gain but if he is feeding more and more it sounds like he wants grub :D

Hi Rosieroo,
I managed to see the nice HV today and she said although Ruby isnt gaining weight very fast she looks a lovely healthy baby. Shes dropped down to the 25th centile in weight but is on the 75th for her height.
Shes 19 wks now and weighs 13lbs 7ozs.
I asked her about giving Ruby something extra due to her weight gain etc and she said I shouldn't bother at the moment as she doesnt seem to be needing it.
As you said shes still sleeping fine and not feeding loads so I think Ill hold off a while. I still have loads of milk coming in so I guess thats satisfying her for the moment. I reckon it must be full fat milk ive got in my boobies!!!!
But I totally agree with you girls about HV's sometimes worrying you, I was worried sick last time I went when she said she wasnt gaining weight.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gee Rooander... so glad you and I share same situation. Oscar is also around the 25th centile, but above 95 centile for lenght/height.
Thought he was the only skinny baby!!
Emilia xx

beanie said:
I have been told that no solids should be given until 17 weeks as baby can't digest them properly. My HV wanted me to give Seren baby rice at 14 weeks but I refused.

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

At my M&B group on Tuesday the HV was advising a mother to start their baby on solids and they'd only just come up to 16 weeks. No questions were asked about whether the baby actually needed them yet :roll: I don't think they dare approach me about it! Ella is a fat bum, but she's definately not ready for proper solids yet. I gave her a raw carrot to taste, but she didn't eat it. She just like feeling the texture/flavour of it. I couldn't imagine giving her proper food yet, she still seems too feeble for it! :lol: She avidly watches us eat, but isn't making chomping faces or anything, she's just intrigued.

Aimee is quite skinny to, she is on the 25 centile for weight and 75 for height!

Emilia and Kwain yay at least Ruby's not the only one. Can be so un-nerving all these charts and stats!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back