How clean?

xxbeckyxx

Reaction score
How clean does your house really need to be for a homebirth? Do I need to do anything 'special'?
The idea of plastic sheeting puts me off a bit, so would a few old towels suffice?

i went thru a gazillion towels! although my home birth wasnt planned so i had nothing prepared or anything! i know a lot of people use cheap shower curtains that arent slippy like plastic sheeting xx

It doesn't hun, although I have been cleaning like an idiot it really doesn't need to be.

I've got a mattress protector on my bed but then ive also bought cheap decorating plastic sheets from B&Q (about £2 per pack) which I'll put on the sofa and on the long chair in the birth room then loads of towels on top. It's more to protect the furniture than anything else. I bought a full set of new towels for the house and so I've taken all the old ones and every manky one I can find (plus donations from MIL - even husband's old school swimming towels!) and put them in two bin liners in the birthing room (dining room) so I don't use them before. Husband is fully briefed to not touch the new towels in the house!

Mum brought an electric fan which is in there and i've bought loads of yummy candles and an oil burner for the room (to burn the clary sage oil incase labour slows). I've put old off cuts of carpet down on the floor and I bought a load of 79p bath mats from ikea for round the pool.

Bought loads of coconut water (lucozade I've noticed had been making me sick and this stuff is like miracle drink in how quick it rehydrates you). Got straws for drinks, wholegrain energy bars from the health food shop, lots of fruit in. Think that's it?!

Sounds like I'm more prepared than I thought actually. Hooray!

I had loads of old towels and like ray of light took donations of old towels from mil, sil etc to stockpile.

I had a mattress protector on my bed-good job too as I was in bed when my waters went-but that's the only think I had. No plastic sheeting/shower curtains here!

I also had oil burner, to burn lavender and clary sage oil as they really go well together plus lavender helps to relax you and clary sage can help speed labour up, and candles. It was amazing being in a completely candle lit room!

Straws are a god send (make sure they're bendy) as they mean you can drink no matter what position you're in!

We made sure house was tidy and clean but only to our usual standard, we didn't go ott.

I also had old duvets, duvet covers and pillows as I change position loads in labour and they were useful when I wanted to sit/lean though I spent the majority of my labour stood up and walking!

We had an angled lamp ready as well as midwife advised us to get one or a torch so they can see afterwards if any stitches are needed.

I also played music during labour. I chose classical pieces and my natal hypnotherapy music.

i think you can get it in tescos in the "special" aisle! cant think of the proper name of the aisle, but the one that does forgein/gluten free/dairy free type stuff xx

Cheers everyone! Will start sorting out my towels, we need a load of new ones anyway so I can use whatever's to hand really! Will deffo pay a visit to QD/Wilko/Savers to see what they have that might come in handy!
Rented house so want to try and keep mess to a minimum lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back