Hospital Bags/Babies in SCBU

Sammyxo

Reaction score
So I've been told my twins will be going into SCBU once born as they'll be early, not sure how long they'll be in there or anything.
I'm just so confused seeing everyone posting about what they're packing for their bubs/their hospital bags, don't even know if they will want me taking anything in for the babies straight away. I know I'm only 20 weeks now so I will ask my MW nearer the time but I just wondered if anyone could spread some insight if they have experience.
I feel like my pregnancy is just so different from most peoples on here, no definite due date yet just been told it will be November, SCBU once born for unknown duration, and then my hospital won't even tell me the gender :(

I want to be excited about packing my/babies hospital bag in the coming weeks but I just feel like I won't even be able to do the normal things like everyone else can. I suppose the only bonus is I will have a bit of time to recover from C-section before I have to care for 2 babies full time.

xx

Last edited:
I know someone who was 41 weeks with her twins and had them naturally.
Is there a reason they are being delivered early?
Sorry I'm perhaps being naive here and have no experience of twins personally

I work on a scbu and depending on what gestation you are thinking you will deliver at depends on what they will need but all the usual things nappies cotton wool(not wipes) cotton visa (usually used in scbu for mouth care again depends on how early u are). They can usually wear clothes after a few days unless very early so vests babygrows and cardigans. And hats plenty of hats. Usually they can have there own blanket/small teddy with them two. Hope that helps

Holly had a week long stay in SCBU after she was born. Nappies, wipes etc were provided as were blankets and bedding. She could wear our clothes we had taken when we could dress her and had a teddy we had brought in with her till it fell on the floor! I was breastfeeding but she needed formula feeding too to top up and the formula was provided. Hospital also let me use a breast pump and sterilising stuff. Good luck. X

I know someone who was 41 weeks with her twins and had them naturally.
Is there a reason they are being delivered early?
Sorry I'm perhaps being naive here and have no experience of twins personally

Mine are sharing a placenta so they'll run out of room earlier and there's a danger keeping them over 37 weeks which is full term. Ideally I'd like to get to full term but I keep being told the likeliness is I'll end up having them at 34-35 weeks.x

I work on a scbu and depending on what gestation you are thinking you will deliver at depends on what they will need but all the usual things nappies cotton wool(not wipes) cotton visa (usually used in scbu for mouth care again depends on how early u are). They can usually wear clothes after a few days unless very early so vests babygrows and cardigans. And hats plenty of hats. Usually they can have there own blanket/small teddy with them two. Hope that helps

Thank you so much your reply it is so helpful, I will make sure I bring everything you said. I sound silly asking this but what are cotton visa's? Thanks again! :) xx

Thanks so much for your reply too Beanster :) xx

Think it depends on the unit we provide nappies for first few days but then expect parents to bring them in. Clothes etc will be provided but if u want them in your on clothes then you will need to bring them in. If you are definitely going to deliver early ask the unit if u can have a look round so u feel comfortable knowing what your local unit provide.

Thank you so much will make sure I pack everything and will ask for a tour to see everything soon :) x

also can family members go in scbu or is it just parents? x

That really depends on units. They are usually 24hours visiting for parents and then the rest depends. We let anyone in as long as they are with a parent but only the baby's siblings can visit no other children because of the bugs they carry others let grandparents and parents only so worth asking unit.

Thanks will ask that too. Oh it is depressing to think they're most likely going to be in scbu for quite a long duration but I know it's best for them and they'll get great care there. Your advise has been great nobody has told me anything about this even when I ask so thanks again.

No worries ask away! Obviously it may change slightly depending on unit but most of it will be the same. I get that 2-4 weeks will seem like forever but we have some babies for 3-4 months or longer so it'll fly by!

Yep I realise that some parents have to wait so much longer, am sure it'll go quickly and give me a chance to recover from c-section. :) x

Hoping to do my bag next week, we are at risk of pre term and baby will need op in first couple of days with a 2 week stay in hospital minimum so I need to sort all my stuff out; make sure I got some small stuff etc. but like you not really sure what to take

Hi Chick,
My lo was born at 33 weeks. We stayed in hospital for 2 weeks. I just packed my bag as if I were going on holiday, if you know what I mean. And for baby (s), changing mat, nappies, muslins, wipes, baby grows, vests, cardis and hats. My hospital provided formula, sterile bottles, teats and bedding. Mothercare do prem baby vests and baby grows, they are fab. The vests have velcro on the sides and no poppers, really easy to put on.
xxxxxxxxx

Hi Hun,

I saw a lot of preemie clothes in Boots when I was shopping the other week, most other places don't really have any, JoJo Mama Bebe do too. :)

xx

Lost this thread earlier... Posted in another but if anyone can help that would be great :)

Really sorry to be so naive about this but I know nothing about babies and what they wear and when, suddenly I find I need to pack for baby and have no idea, on anything :(
We will be in hospital about 2 weeks when baby arrives (baby having an op at birth), I have no idea how many of what to pack for baby
At the moment I have 14 sleep suits and 14 vest suits, some hats, some scratch mitts, socks. I have no outfits. So do I need that many things? Do i need vests and sleeps? How often are they changed etc? Baby won't be fed by me for about a week so
Do I really need an outfit or will baby be fine to go home in a vest or sleep suit?

Sorry to bombard with questions :)

hi i know your probably all packed but when mine were in they suggested bringing muslin cloths to cover babies instead of blankets if they get too warm and also mothercare do bliss range of preemie clothes which have velcro arms and legs which makes life so much easier when babies have wires attached to change them. Hope they manage to stay in as long as possible but they will be in graet hands in any scbu, the nures truly are angels in disguise xx

Thank you Pimpkin :) I haven't finished packing (oops) but I have some muslin blankets I can pack, hope your bubs are doing okay now :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back