Would you ask a stranger for help?

h33

Reaction score
Hiya Ladies

My son was unfortunatley born 12 weeks early spent 7 weeks in SCBU this forum really helped me even though i didn't know anyone i listend to peoples advice and weight gains and other premature babies progress.

What i am trying to do is set up something at the hospital here in SCBU for other mums and dads with premature babies with people details on such as birth weight, how many weeks they gave birth, whether their children had any siblings and how long they were in so they can get in touch or e-mail or even meet so that they can talk to someone with the same experience, my DH says he wouldn't of used it but i want to know if you were put in this situation would you?

I just want to find out how many people would before i talk to the hospital about it.

Thanks

Heather

i think it would depend on what was happening.

its a lovely idea though!

Thanks Sam

Just trying to give something back it was hard work when COnal was in there i think i would have liked talking to someone with the same experience :)

I haven't had the experience of SCBU but I have utilised a similar support group. Here we have an excellent breastfeeding help group and you can be put in touch with other mums who have breastfed. All strangers at first but you all have a common link. At first I had loads of questions and it helped me talking to people who had been through similar experiences ( and come out the other end)

So I think that it is an excellent idea for you to start this support network and if i was ever in a position to need it I think I would be very grateful

I think it's a fab idea :D

I don't think people can understand situations sometimes unless they have also been through them. Leorah has a milk and soya protein intolerance and was very poorly the first few months of her life until we worked out what was wrong. Noone really understood and so I joined an email group but I would have loved to have someone to talk about it to that really knows what it is like having to be so careful and understand how emotional it can be when you have mistakenly eaten something that can upset your baby. Leorah was only 3+1 early and luckily we don't seem to have any setbacks from it anymore (though the intolerances could be due to it) but there is a woman in my mother group whose baby was 7 weeks early and the other babies his age are more developementally advanced and I am sure she would love to have some other mums of premature babies to talk with as when her LO's age is adjusted he is so much younger than the others.

I think you can put posters up and make a group if you want without the hospital's permission but I am sure they would also think its a great idea, good luck and let us know how it goes :D

I think it is a great idea as well. As stated elsewhere it is no different really than going along to breastfeeding support groups or post natal classes. I didn't know anybody at either of these before going and I have found that invaluable.

Thanks girls i think i might just start one i met another mum today who's son was 12 weeks early and is now14months and only 16lb :shock: the poor women was trying to get away from me and i couldn't ask her enough questions about him :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back