Hospital bag

A couple of night dresses, clothes to change into to go home in, toiletries, a towel, a bikini (I'm having a water birth), baby clothes, baby towel, nappies, mp3 player, speakers, flameless candles, flannels, water spray bottle, baby carrier, slippers, a book, food, camera....
Maybe cushions??

I think that's everything! Lol think I've gone a bit overboard!

Personally I wild by bother with he candles (ofc I'm not a very candle-like person and vey clinical when it comes to birth) id also ditch the spray bottle and baby carrier as tbh you prob won't need it the first day or so - I found I just wanted to cuddle my baby and look down at him in my arms

I'm such a candle person and I'm quite easily affected by my surroundings in terms of lighting, smells and sounds, so I may stick with them - they don't take up much room anyway.
As for baby carrier, my MW said to take a carrier for the drive home (we're getting a taxi), that way we wont have to bring a car seat. That would be even more to carry!! Right, I'm going to go through my bags now and make sure I'm all prepared.

i disnt realise you could use them in a taxi.

Tbh I don't think you've Really overpacked or have too Much. You'll be fine. Some
Lists are stupid as to what you'll need. What about breast pads? I'd recommend those

Last edited:
Back when I was about to give birth everyone was saying they wouldn't let you leave without a car seat! My oh is a really good driver and has done the taxi too but he was shit scared to drive with our little one as a newborn even in his car seat! I used to get taxis to go shopping with little one and kept him in the car seat when he couldn't sit up in the normal trolley seats and know he'd be safe in te car seat on the drive back home!

I gotta admit i was told that too! Mind it may have changed in the last few years since I had my LO. Silly through, I mean imagine if you lived next door to the hospital and antes to walk your baby home?!

Oh yes breast pads too! And maternity pads, and disposable knickers.

I haven't been told I need a carseat. My midwife was saying something about it being better off in a carrier, I think I would feel safer doing that anyway. I'm sure it's perfectly safe, as I will have him/her strapped to my body and I will be seatbelted. We live very close to the hospital as well, we could walk it in 20 mins. Not sure if I'll be up to that though!

I didn't bother with disposable knickers - just got really cheap ones from asda... I got my maternity pass at hospital and stole some to home too but taking them
Is good idea too.
We have a car seat and no car but we have family who drive so that's why. If he mw said that its fine I'm sure it is, but maybe ask when you have your birthing class/hospital tour just to check

Not having a hospital tour, and we've had our antenatal classes.... due date is tomorrow!!!!
But, my mum will be near by and have a spare key for our house so I guess if we need anything then she can help us out :) we do have a car seat in case we need one.

I'm sure it will be fine! I take my do. In a taxi without caraway, just sit him in my knee and strap him in (he's almost 2) do I'm sure sling will be ok too

I just wanted to say... A baby carrier in a taxi is absolutely NOT safer than a car seat. You legally don't need a car seat in a taxi, but should the worst happen, a car seat would be far more protective. You really shouldn't use a carrier in a vehicle, either. The force of an accident would crush the baby between you and the seat belt. Have you got the option of a bus? Somehow feels it might be safer than a taxi if you're reluctant to use the car seat!

I'm sorry to come across so condescending and preachy, I just worried reading this thread. Otherwise your birth bag sounds quite ok!

I didn't think it was safer than a carseat, I just meant that I felt safer doing so. I definitely think a taxi is safer than a bus though considering there are no seat belts on a bus, and I really don't feel up to getting a bus immediately after giving birth! Like I said though, my Mum will be nearby and she has a car and she can always pick up the car seat from our house if needs be.

I don't mean to sound irresponsible but I'm willing to take the risk that the taxi wont crash in the 6 minute drive back home.

Also I could put the seat belt on and then the baby over that, so if there was a sudden stop then I would stop but baby wouldn't be crushed on impact.

I don't think the mw wild suggest it if it wasnt safe would she?

I can't remember why it's not recommended to wear the sling over the seatbelt either - but I'm fairly sure I've read it on some of the sling advice boards over the last few years.

I'm really sorry if I've come across too harsh, it was just quite worrying reading. That 6 minute taxi ride will be the first with the most important thing in your world, and cars are so dangerous. I remember being terrified bringing my son home for the first time and having to go on the road, and hubby was driving! Taxi drivers tend to be a bit less careful!! Xx

I gotta admit i was told that too! Mind it may have changed in the last few years since I had my LO. Silly through, I mean imagine if you lived next door to the hospital and antes to walk your baby home?!

Yeah I thought about that too! Or if you don't even have a car and generally don't get taxis, why would one even need one haha! Maybe they've realised that now and changed it, I know by law you don't have to have a car seat in the taxi although it is favourable x

I travel by taxi quite often and from the moment he didn't fit his maxi cosi, he had to sit on my lap and I have to strap myself in but just hold him and hold my arms around him can imagine that age doesn't apply so in a sling just make sure the straps don't go over baby!

You definitely don't have to have a car seat by law anymore else my MW wouldn't have suggested it, and I haven't heard this anywhere else.

I'm just going to play it by ear, if I don't feel baby is safe then I would rather walk home! I just don't think we can really carry all our bags PLUS a car seat. I would obviously not intentionally put my baby in a dangerous position.

Also I have a proper ergobaby carrier, it's not just a wrap. I don't see the problem if I'm seatbelted and baby is wrapped over my tummy and I'm holding him/her. I'll do some research but like I said, I'm willing to take the risk that the taxi won't crash in that 6 min journey - I hope you don't think I'm being an irresponsible mother, maybe just not over-protective. It might be a different story with all those oxytocin hormones though...

I travel by taxi quite often and from the moment he didn't fit his maxi cosi, he had to sit on my lap and I have to strap myself in but just hold him and hold my arms around him can imagine that age doesn't apply so in a sling just make sure the straps don't go over baby!

One taxi driver told me I was breaking he law if I didn't put the straw around his waist and strap him in with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back