Hospital bag

Sarah_sun

Reaction score
Hi ladies

When did you or will you pack your hospital bag?

Aside from the basics what will you be packing?

On my extras list is chewing gum to help with gut mobility and prevent constipation, lip balm, refreshing facial wipes and hand cream. As a nurse I know that the hospital soap and gel really dries out my hands x

I'll do mine about 37 weeks lol

I'm just taking basics... Packed way tooth last time and barely used any of it.

Spare clothes, light dressing gown, nightie, slippers, spare knickers, some breast pads, maternity pads, minimal toiletries (shower gel, toothbrush, toothpaste, shdmpoo)?and that's me sorted.
Baby - nappies, 1 hat, 1 pair mits, 6 vests, 6 baby grows, a pair of socks, a few Muslins, water wipes and formula. Vaseline. Sorted

Kindle, phone, Chargers and camera and that's it

Spare clothes, light dressing gown, nightie, slippers, spare knickers, some breast pads, maternity pads, minimal toiletries (shower gel, toothbrush, toothpaste, shdmpoo)?and that's me sorted.
Baby - nappies, 1 hat, 1 pair mits, 6 vests, 6 baby grows, a pair of socks, a few Muslins, water wipes and formula. Vaseline. Sorted

Sounds pretty similar to my list. It's amazing how much you forget with a 9 year age gap 😄

Il be packing similar, more like a weekend bag than a labour bag. There's so much stuff that they say to bring that is unnecessary. The only thing il add is some change for vending machine x

I packed mine at 36 weeks and usual stuff really. Nhs website have a basic list. Last time I packed loads and ended up being in for 8 days so oh had to go out and get more anyway from home! Packed a lot less this time as figure if anything more I need there is always a 24 hours tesco. (Watch me go into labour on Sunday night now and I've forgotten something!) xx

Im buying my bits next week and will have it packed by 34/35 weeks xx

useful to see what everybody else is planning with this, I'm 32 weeks now and wasn't sure. I think I have most things ready to pack, just need a few more bits for me, pj's and something for the pool, oh and some mini's (shampoo, soap, wipes)
I was thinking just pack it now along with the notes and I can put it to one side. better to be ready knowing me! :) x

I was sorting through my wardrobe today and found my wash bag with all the mini toiletries in that I used when I had Oscar. I was wondering if they'll still be OK to use after almost 2 years? Most of it hasn't even been opened tbf so should be ok.
I hadn't really thought about hospital bags yet, but I suppose I should start thinking about it....especially as we're hopefully getting our house on the market this week so could be moving anytime!! Xxx

6 vests and baby grows? How come so many? It's my first so I;m rather naive. I only have 2, should I pack some more?

I'd definitely pack more than 2, don't underestimate the amount of leaky nappies a newborn can have! I can't remember exactly how many I packed, maybe 4 of each? But I ended up staying in an extra night so had to ask the in laws to rummage through our drawers and bring in more clothes for baby. This time I'm planning on having a bag of extra clothes etc at home packed ready just incase we have to stay in a bit longer again, then OH or whoever can just grab it for us. Xxx

I'm gonna pack the same amount of vests as baby gros/outfits. So 3 vests, 2 baby gros and a going home outfit. I plan to be home within 6 hours after birth so unlikely that he'll have had many dirty nappies by that point and if I need more theres tesco's around the corner x

If you're going to be out in 6 hours, then 2 should be fine really :)
It didn't even cross my mind to be home that quick as I was in so long lol. Xx

Thanks Jenni. I think I'm definitely underestimating the nappy situation! Fingers crossed it'll only be 6 hours, but I guess you can't predict these things. I will take more, I'd rather have too many than not enough.

Always better to have too much than get caught out :) I'd definitely recommend having an extra bag of bits for you and baby packed in case you have to stay in though. You could leave it at home or in the car, but but least that way, you're not carrying loads in with you, but you know you've got what you need close to hand to save OH searching for bits and bringing all the wrong stuff (like mine probably would

It is really difficult to judge - with my son I was home 4 hours after having him so hardly needed anything. Maybe pack a second bag to leave in the car?

Yeah good idea, thing is we don't have a car so we'll either be getting a lift from family/friend or a taxi. I feel like I've already packed so much, I was also going to bring some cushions as I hear the hospital are always low. I feel I might be bringing too much, but at the same time... If we (my OH ;)) can carry it all, then why not?
I'm due tomorrow so I best get packing!

I think my mum wants a spare key for our house so she can make sure it's all clean and tidy when we get home (secretly just so she can see the baby straight away lol) maybe I could leave it there and she could bring it in to the hospital if needs be.

Did anyone bring cushions? Or do you think it's pointless? Thought it might be quite nice to have a cushion from home as it might make your experience more comfortable whilst you're in a scary hospital. Home comforts and all that!

Last edited:
How lovely to come home to a nice clean house :) I have OH strict instructions to make sure it was tidy, but in reality he was so tired from being up all night and visiting all day that he just didn't have the time :-(
I didn't take any to start with, but did ask OH to bring in a pillow for my second night as the ones they had were so uncomfortable and thin and I'd pulled all sorts of muscles in labour so needed a bit of extra support. Maybe leave them and see if you need to stay in, then someone could bring them to you? Xx

6 vests and baby grows? How come so many? It's my first so I;m rather naive. I only have 2, should I pack some more?

Always more than 2! The first poo is brutal, black, thick and unforgiving lol I'm also having a planned section so I know I'll be staying in. I was on 4 days and went through about 10 of each for first one but not planning to be in quite as long this time.

Yeah good idea, thing is we don't have a car so we'll either be getting a lift from family/friend or a taxi. I feel like I've already packed so much, I was also going to bring some cushions as I hear the hospital are always low. I feel I might be bringing too much, but at the same time... If we (my OH ;)) can carry it all, then why not?
I'm due tomorrow so I best get packing!

What have you packed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back