Herbal tea? Birth defects????

Sonoko

Reaction score
I was drinking a herbal tea with Indian sage and chaparral in it for about five weeks during my first trimester. I am 17 weeks pregnant now. I just read on the internet that both Indian sage and chaparral are supposed to be avoided during prenancy because of the risk of birth defects. I only drank like a cup a day butu sometimes three cups (using the same bag). Should I be worried about birth defects? I am really freaked out. I have an appointment next week but if anyone could share their advice or experience on this matter it would be a huge relief.
Obviously I have stopped drinking the tea.
Thanks
Sonoko :)

It CAN caurse defects but depends how much you drink. these should be picked up on scan.

The only herbal tea safe to drink during pregnancy (and very minimal cups at that) is peppermint tea for sickness.

Oh god I hope the level I was drinking wasn't too much. I only had a cup a day but sometimes three and I didn't drink it everyday. I only starting drinking it after 10 weeks. Hopefully the vital parts were formed by then.

Most places lable too much and excessive at 10 cups a day but that's not taken into account how strong the brew is and how much is in each herbal preperation.

Better to be safe and sorry and not have any all together. You've caught it early so you should be okay :)

Yeah I think you are probably right. I'll mention it to my doctor next week. I doubt the amount I was taking was enough to damage my baby. As I said it was only a cup a day or at the most three. I guess our bodies filter out a lot before it gets to the baby anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back