Help and advice needed

adele88

Reaction score
As this is my first pregnancy i aint really sure how things work

I am now 3 days overdue and was wondering how things work from here? What are my chances of having a c section. Does it depend on how i get on at the midwife will they offer induction first? Whats my chances of having baby naturally if he still aint here after 3 days because i really dont want a c section.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about sections but when pregnant with lacey, the day after i was due i begged my m/w to induce me and she said she'd wait until i was a week over due then do it! Luckily Lacey came the day after i begged her so it didn't matter! Hope LO comes soon for you hun x x

think it depends on your hospital, I wont get induced until 14 days after due date :-(

oh adele i dont know, but im sure c section is the last thing they want to do so dont worry about it. I know it feels like forever but its only 3 days.. he will be here soon xxx

Hey hun. At my hos they wait til your 12 days over. The only time they will give you a section is if you really need one, ie..emergency in labour. They say inducement can end in section simply because your forcin your body to do somethin its not ready too - this terrified me! But i went 9 days over with both boysnand they came before their induction date!!

Do lots of walkin hun. Worked for me! x x

thanks everyone

been getting cramping the past 2 nights and feeling a little sicky so fingers crossed things might be starting to progress slowly. I havent stopped walking since my last midwife appointment last week so hopefully he is engaged now and not back to back.

I really dont want it to end in a section as im terrified the thought of it is enough! Im terrified of giving birth naturally never mind a section lol x

Last edited:
yeah your right isobel it hasnt been that long think of the people that go way longer than me so im sure i will survive hahah :whistle:

At our hospital I went for a midwife appointment at the hospital at 38 weeks pregnant and they put my induction date in the diary for 12 days over due just in case. As it happens Charlie came on his due date but due to a difficult labour I had to have an emergency section which wasnt as bad as i thought cos all you want at the end of the day is a healthy and happy baby.
I had a full tin of Dynamite Hot Stagg Chilli the evening I went into labour...anything is worth a try but it worked for me lol

oh adele hope baby comes soon Im not even overdue yet and already sick of waiting so god knows how you feel.
Im sat at the comp bouncing away as I type lol
The last thing that will happen will be a section theres lots of things they can do before that so try not to worry xxxxxx

hey, in peterborough where i live they do a sweep at 40+10 then induction at 40+12. I had my DD at 40+13 after the sweep worked

well i got the midwife on friday think its for a sweep not sure wheter she willl book me in for an induction or not heres hoping to be honest i would rather go naturally.

i will take a pic after my bath isobel an put a new thread up just for you hehe xx

hi adele... i'm in the 1st tri forum but read your post and wanted to reassure you about induction... i had a very positive induction experience although it did take a while to work with me...

with my first baby i was due on the 8th and they left me til the 15th before they took me in for induction... I had an appointment on the 6th for a sweep but they said my cervix was tight closed so they couldn't do the sweep and booked me in for the following week. I cried because i really wanted that sweep!!

i went in on the thursday 15th and had the prostin gel (which was fine - just like an internal). there were 6 ladies all being induced that morning and the other 5 it worked for quite quickly and they soon went off to the labour suites and i saw them all coming back with their babys!

i had some more prostin in the afternoon which gave me some mild contractions but still no dilation.

So the next day (friday 16th) had another prostin in the morning and basically no change in my cervix that day either! Another 5 women came in for induction and again it worked quickly for most of them too. I wasn't in too much pain and they let me have gas and air overnight if i wanted it too.. and also some pethedine which knocked me out so i could catch up on some sleep!!!!

By the Saturday (17th) i was so fed up with seeing all the other women come and go and that my baby still hadn't put in an appearance and i begged them for a c-section... however they did one final examination and said i had dilated 1cm overnight so i could have my waters broken and try for a natural labour!!!! me and my hubby cried with happiness!!!!

So 12 midday on the Saturday they broke my waters (which didn't hurt) .. i had to have the pitocin drip too as i still didn't dilate much so i decided an epidural would be a good idea...

the epidural was FAB and i am defo asking for one again next time. once that was working they just slowly increased the pitocin drip (whilst i chatted, watched tv etc with hubby) and by about 11pm i was fully dilated... then they left me for 1 hour... then at 1am (sunday morning now) they said i could start pushing. After about 1 hour my little girl was born naturally at 2:00am and i felt no pain whatsoever .. i could just about feel her head coming out but no pain at all. i tore and had stiches but even they weren't too bad or painful afterwards.... the worst pain i had was my enormous piles afterwards (sorry tmi!)

it was the best experience of my life and even though it took a few days to get me dilating and into labour it was so worth it. I had never known anyone who had been induced (let alone it taking more than a day!) and i think i would have been much better prepared if i had known it can take time to work for each person.

Anyway... all of my other friends went into labour naturally the very night before they were due to be induced!!! So hopefully the same will happen for you!

hope that you go naturally soon but if you do have to be induced - don't worry - it is really really fine and you are in the best place possible already with no mad dash to the hospital. You can plan your pain relief and although it is a bit more "controlled" you can still have an amazing natural delivery / birth that you want! The most important thing is that you end up with your beautiful baby - how and when the baby comes will be unique to you whatever happens...

good luck and any questions about induction just shout! hope it goes really well for you x x x ps sorry if i have waffled on!?!?!

thanks very much that defo has made me feel alot better knowing someone has experienced the same thing as myself and been induced and had the baby naturally. I just panicked as everyone who ive spoke to about the baby i have said baby aint engaged yet and the midwife couldnt perform a sweep as my cervix is to high and closed they have said you will prob 100% need a c section which made me panic. Im only coming to terms with labour as i have been terrified the whole way through and people are fulling my head with c section so think i just panicked. Although i have heard a few good stories too about people being induced and having baby naturally without c section

hopefully after my sweep on friday things will start to happen for me

thanks for helping me out. xxx

Last edited:
ahw i know how you feel... i got so fed of waiting and even in the hospital all they kept saying was how high and closed my cervix was.. gggrrrrr! and my cervix was posterier so it was sort of behind the babys head and pointing towards my bum..

You would only be given c-section as a last resort if there was danger to you or baby... Induction is there to get you started off and to help your cervix get going. Once it does things will progress from there onwards... when i was in being induced most of those other ladies had their babys by vaginal delivery too... and for the other 5 ladies per day it worked on that first day for them too...

No one would force you to have a c-section.. if they did recomend one it would be because they have reasons for concern for you or the baby.

Talk to them about it when you go on friday and ask them lots of questions about what will happen if you don't go naturally... they might even give you a date...but honestly even if you are booked in for an induction that doesn't mean a c-section...it is just to get you dilating... induction doesn't hurt at all and it is really a bit odd when you turn up,get induced and then just sit around waiting to see what happens.. but it will work and one way or another you know you will soon meet your baby!!!!

ahw i am so excited for you - it is an amazing experience and you will soon wonder what you were even worrying about.. good luck friday x x x

just wanted to say good luck for your appointment today...you should be able to get a good idea today of how long they will leave you etc and will be great if they can do the sweep... remember to ask them anything you are worried about at all.... take care and let us know how you get on!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back