Heartburn?

Nicola

Reaction score
Advise on folic acid is that you NEED to take it up till 12 weeks, baby needs it for vital developement. Some people say to stop at 12 weeks but vitamins designed for pregnancy contain folic acid and are marketed at pre-conception, pregnancy and breastfeeding - I've taken mine for 2 years before conception and haven't stoped yet. I'll switch to a normal ladies vitamin once I've finished breastfeeding. I believe (and make your own mind up) that folic acid is crucial and helpful through the whole pregnancy.

With the heartburn: Gaviscon, it's the only thing you can take and it works wonders. Being pregnant you can get a free prescription for it from the GP and he/she will give you a huge bottle, instore they are around £4 and £6 depending on the size you buy.....get a bigger bottle free from the GP!!

I get heart burn bad, so bad i am in tears some times. Its like a burning feeling in your throat. I have to have tablets and i have a huge bottle of gaviscon. Rennies are also good.

Soda water is fantastic for heartburn, someone told me to put some angustura bitters in it too, but i haven't tried that yet

Beware though - makes you burp!!!

On the folic acid, i didn't take it until i was 4 weeks pregnant as i didn't know i was preggers but i now take a multivit which contains folic acid

Alfie
xx

drinking milk is good forthe first stages of heartburn when you just start feeling it in your chest, gaviscon works wonders ask your doc for some. folic acid can be taken throughout pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding.

xxxxxx

Milk always made me 1000x's worse i was physically sick when drank that when i had heartburn think it was because it make the milk curdel :puke:

I just took folic acid for the first 12 weeks, I eat a healthy diet so I don't take any extra vitamins at all. I find that's right for me, others will want to take extra. I had never had heartburn before being pregnant either so didn't know what it was when my throat was constantly on fire! It's now in my chest and throat and sometimes can make me sick without any warning - I don't feel ill or anything, it's just the acidy stuff coming up. I got a bottle of something (peppermint stuff) from doctor and it helps for about 5 mins then can start back up again. I carry plenty of mints (peppermint) around with me because it's kind of the same thing and tastes better xx

Research has shown that taking folic acid for the 1st 12 weeks of pregnancy can reduce the risk of the baby developing spina bifida. There is no harm in continuing to take the folic acid throughout the rest of the pregnancy.

I would recommend taking Gaviscon too for the heartburn. Definitely better to get it on prescription, it's pretty expensive to buy.

Like many things in pregnancy, how long you take folic acid for depends on the person. As already said, everyone is supposed to take it until 12 weeks. If you have a family history of spina bifida, you are supposed to take a higher dose throughout pregnancy (under drs advice). I am taking a pregnancy multivit that includes vits C and E and folic acid because it may help prevent pre-eclampsia.

I couldn't have gaviscon, so I ate tums like smarties (after seeing the doc). Mmm, full of extra calcium too.

Hiya
im new to the site,i had really really bad acid burning my throat to the point where id have to stop talking lean my head back to stop it coming right up into my mouth and breath really carefully.
I looked everywhere on net for a cure and found nothing!!doctor said to me about the gaviscon but i didnt want to take it as the bottle says if pregnant do not take,so i used mints,milk,dry bread you name it i tried it!!!
Finally i found a site which stated PICKLE JUICE!! :shock:
I was so bad,ive had heart burn and acid with last 3 pregnancies but not like this,so i tried it........... :cheer:
OH MY GOD IT WORKED,litrally straight away i felt the acid going back down after two sips.That was about 3 hours ago and its not back yet(so lasting longer than anything else already)

I really hope this helps some of you ,
all my wishes,donna xx

What on earth is "pickle juice" where did you get it from? Sounds great

sorry i was being dim wasn't i?!! I'm going to try this i have some onions in the fridge! Anything is worth a try, i suffer now and i know it's only going to get worse as i get further along.

Thank you
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back