Having to start Maternity Leave really early...

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
...because I hate my f**king job!

I've had a lot of problems the last few months since I requested a transfer - I found out I was pregnant as I was offered an interview for an internal transfer but decided it prob wasn't the best thing to move to a new role knowing I would only be in it for a few months. Since then it has been one thing after another, today I heard the Senior (ahem) Manager in my team talking about me on the phone to my Line Manager (who is supposed to be on holiday this week); I don't know how I didn't walk out or burst in to tears.

So I think I am going to have to go much earlier than planned at the end of April. I will be owed 4 weeks holiday so I can take that in between 26 April - 25 May and then start my actual Mat Leave in June... it's not ideal as I hadn't planned to go until July and the money would be good but I just don't need the hassle. I don't deserve to be treated this way and I suffer from anxiety too and this just makes it worse...

Grrrr! Anyone else having these kind of issues? x

Oh hun, that just sounds awful & no you certainly don't deserve that at all

Sorry it's so bad there :hugs:

xxx

Thanks Kezza hun - the irony is I went back today after a week off thinking "Nothing is gonna bring me down..." and within half an hour I just wanted to walk out...

Oh well, the good news is (if they let me take my hols before I go) is that I've got less than 9 weeks left! Hoorah! :dance:

x

I really do feel for you, it's just horrid being somewhere you hate. That feeling of dread having to go in :(

Maybe give ACAS a call or look at their website, there is sooooo much info on their about maternity rights & holiday etc & I'm sure there was a post a few weeks ago about the same thing, I'll see if I can find it for you

xxxxx

i had this first time round, with my son......................just had to leave early so took my mat leave soon as poss x

im starting to wish i had taken mine as early as possible with holiday on top. if i did it would be my last day on friday.

they have to allow you to take your holiday 1st as you are entitled to it and will not be there to take it.

i hope it gets better for your last few weeks. mine is ok im just so tired and my body aches all the time at the minute so work is really taking it out of me. xxx

The irony continues - I actually work in HR, lol! I know all my rights but things don't get done the way they should in my team...

My boss should give me the holiday days as we advise all our other Managers to encourage employees to take their holidays before they go; they'd have to have a good reason not to give me them as they're getting 8+ weeks notice and they have filled two vacancies in my team really quickly. Keep your fingers crossed for me ladies x

Last edited:
Keep us updated hun, be totally unfair if they didn't apply the same rules......pfft them!!!!

xxx

Ooooooo I'm thinking pfft as another smiley, I'll get googling :)

But your right, as much as pfft is a Fantabulous word it's just not string enough

xxx

i had this problem when i was pregnant with brooke! because i was 18 they treaated me like a child.. and i hated it, i had morning sickness and feeling sick constantly (that lasted all day) and sometimes i would be in the toilets 10-15mins and because i worked on the phones, this wasnt exceptable for them.. so i started panicing about being sick, which seemed to bring it on even more.. then i had bleeding while at work and totally freaked out, this happened twice and i was just so fed up with all the comments etc. i went doctors and made out i was worse than what i was - apart from the bleeding and he signed me off sick for a total of 2 months and by this time i was able to take my holiday and go on mat leave! best thing i done as soon as i knew that i didnt have to go back to work to face them horrible people i relaxed alot more!!

bless you hun! its total horrible being somewhere where the minute you walk in, you want to walk stright back out again!

i had this problem when i was pregnant with brooke! because i was 18 they treaated me like a child.. and i hated it, i had morning sickness and feeling sick constantly (that lasted all day) and sometimes i would be in the toilets 10-15mins and because i worked on the phones, this wasnt exceptable for them.. so i started panicing about being sick, which seemed to bring it on even more.. then i had bleeding while at work and totally freaked out, this happened twice and i was just so fed up with all the comments etc. i went doctors and made out i was worse than what i was - apart from the bleeding and he signed me off sick for a total of 2 months and by this time i was able to take my holiday and go on mat leave! best thing i done as soon as i knew that i didnt have to go back to work to face them horrible people i relaxed alot more!!

bless you hun! its total horrible being somewhere where the minute you walk in, you want to walk stright back out again!

If they don't agree my hols, I am def thinking of getting signed off sick... I just don't need the hassle and it's not good for me or baby - grrrr, b4stards x

No it isnt good for you or your baby hun... i would defientely consider it if they dont give you your hols xx

If you get signed off sick due to preg related issues employers have a right to force you to start your maternity leave early - so bear in mind that you may not get full pay and THEN be able to start mat leave.

hope you okay :( and hope they let you take your holidays/maternity early its not what you need its tiring/stressful enough being pregnant without work adding to your problems!

Only problem I'm having is the woman above me saying there is "no chance" i will be able to come back part time even if i wanted, i thought employers had to accomodate you the best they could or at least take your requests into consideration? xx

hope you okay :( and hope they let you take your holidays/maternity early its not what you need its tiring/stressful enough being pregnant without work adding to your problems!

Only problem I'm having is the woman above me saying there is "no chance" i will be able to come back part time even if i wanted, i thought employers had to accomodate you the best they could or at least take your requests into consideration? xx

I think that by law they need to take your requests into consideration. I asked to work 3 8 hour shifts instead of 4 6 hour shifts and I've been given a date to speak to the manager about it.

Have a wee read at this..

'You have the right to ask for part-time or flexible hours and your employer has a duty to seriously consider your request. Your employer must have a good business reason for refusing. You may be able to rely on sex discrimination law if your request is refused and you do not think your employer has a good business reason for the refusal.

Since April 2003 the right to request flexible work involves a clear procedure, which both you and your employer must follow. You should make a written application and your employer must then arrange a meeting with you to discuss it within 28 days, unless your request is agreed at the outset.'

Last edited:
Stacey - they do have to consider your Flexible Working request, they can't say no without even given it consideration...

Employers are such a pain in the bum x

I feel for you, following a meeting today at work I'm considering starting my leave early too!

It's awful getting any more pressure / crap from work when pregnancy knocks you for six as it is! Try not to let it get to you too much, (easier said than done, I know), and just think about your wee baby and your own health and happiness as that's the most important thing. If starting maternity leave early will help, then do it!

Hope you can get it sorted.
x

I think that by law they need to take your requests into consideration. I asked to work 3 8 hour shifts instead of 4 6 hour shifts and I've been given a date to speak to the manager about it.

Have a wee read at this..

'You have the right to ask for part-time or flexible hours and your employer has a duty to seriously consider your request. Your employer must have a good business reason for refusing. You may be able to rely on sex discrimination law if your request is refused and you do not think your employer has a good business reason for the refusal.

Since April 2003 the right to request flexible work involves a clear procedure, which both you and your employer must follow. You should make a written application and your employer must then arrange a meeting with you to discuss it within 28 days, unless your request is agreed at the outset.'

thanks rach, if i do want to apply for flexible hours/part time there is no harm in trying closer to the time... a girl at work has just come back and works wed,thurs,fri she is on a different department with more people to cover on the monday and tuesday when she's not there whereas I only work in a team of 3 :( i can only write a letter of request, you never know i might be okay coming back full time time will only tell :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back