Maternity leave . . .

spice

Reaction score
is any one else struggling with when to take their maternity leave???

both my store manager and my area manager have said about me taking from the first week of july, but im starting to feel this is to early, especially as i have to take all my holiday between now and then! which is 112hrs!

i also need to have this sorted a.s.a.p as they need to recruit someone to cover me!

when is everyone else going on maternity leave?

I'm going at the earliest point which works out (with all my hols) in about 2.5 weeks (am signed off at the mo though, long story) but my last day is officially 20 April, just waiting on my MatB1 x

It is hard. I'm struggling with work atm so going on actual maternity on june 13th but using my annual leave before that so I finnish work 18th may. I can't wait, people say I'll be bored but I'm gunna make the most of some me time and also potter around and sort nursery etc xx

its annoying! i have a 3day weekend as it is, and get really bored of being at home! though at the moment work doesnt seem to be to bad, im on my feet for most of my shift but sit down when there is no customers around! i just dont know how im going to be feeling in 10 weeks time :( just had another look at it all and was thinking that if i take 3weeks holiday right before maternity i can leave second week of june, and start maternity the week im due!

going to talk to my OH about it tonight! and talk to my store manager tomorrow, the longer im there the better for the store!

I'm due 11july, my maternity leave official starts 8th July but I'm taking annual leave directly before maternity leave so I'll be finishing 23 June when I'll be 37 weeks then. Hope baby doesn't come any earlier than that!!

it depends dont it on you,

with my first i worked till the end but then i had never got no kids an had my freedom so if i was tired id go bed ect ha

this time round i only work part time but when im not running round at work ive got my 2 year old (thats the real work) so i thought id take mat leave early this time so i can enjoy two days a week to my self as ill still send my son play group and money wise ill not be that worse of x

Do you work in retail?? Im full time in a clothes shop and have found it so hard to decide when to start my mat leave. I still have a while before i have to make it official but at the mo ive decided with being due 25th Sept, im going to start my mat leave 29th aug but add on 2 weeks of holiday on to the beginning so will stop working on the 14th aug. I wanted to leave as early as i could so i didnt have to deal with the busy summer holidays but it would mean taking up so much of my mat leave. Will have to see how things go though as im suffering with a bad back as it is at the min!! Hope you get it sorted anyway xx

Also, my store manager and area manager pretty much wont let me do anything, mannequins, delivery etc so i think id be tearing my hair out by the end!!

Last edited:
I am really confused about it all. I have 2 employers, one job is physically tiring, the other mentally tiring, and I don't knoww when to stop either of them. The week I get my matb1 form I will make up my mind, as the not knowing when I'm stopping work unsettles me. I can not wait though. I've never not worked since I was 16 and I'm 28 this year, I feel very blessed!! I am going to love being a mummy!! :)

I'm due 24th sept and I've told work I want maternity leave to start 2weeks before then I'm having 2weeks hol before that so I'm leaving 4wks before due date but saving most of my maternity for when baby is here. Although if I start to feel ill or have problems I might consider bringing it forward a bit!!!!!

i'm due 19th May and i left 14th Feb!! which was the full 11 weeks early plus some holiday and shift swaps i had left to use up. By the time i take the 39 weeks paid plus 5 weeks holiday from this years entitlement i will not have to go back til 5th Jan next year which i figured is plenty long enough.

I just wanted to leave at the earliest point this time.Last time i worked right up to the day before my due date and looking back i shouldn't have - i was absolutely exhausted and had very bad swollen feet and was so unconfy. Mind you that was 4 years ago and i only got 6 months paid so i was desparate to have more time with the baby afterwards.

they can't tell you when to go - great you have lots of hol to use up too!! when does that run out? can you add that to the end of your leave or will you be in the next hol year by then? hope you get it all worked out x x x

im due july 5th and finishing for maternity at the end of may. Although I have every monday and tuesday in may booked off as holiday so that my weeks arent as long! Maternity leave seems just around the corner!

Mine starts on sunday!! :D went 3 weeks earlyer as I'm huge! And its not pratical geting around a nursing home with a hugeeee bump!...I'm planing on going swiming everyday, its free where I live on the be active scyme :)

i'm due 15th october and not sure when to start it, want to start it as soon as i'm able which will be the last week in july but don't want people to think i'm lazy. Its just this is my first baby and i would really appeciate having two months to get everything ready and have some time to myself, especially through the summer heat (hopefully) where working would just be lame in a non air-conditioned shop. i'm not planning on going back to work when maternity ends so the amount of time with bubs isn't an issue, hubby and i both think it would be best if i stay off with the sprog till at least preschool when i can maybe pickup some part time hours.

Im probably going to leave it as late as possible, I work for the family business and I know things will be a struggle without me here plus I want as much time with baby as possible.

However I do have the ability to do most of my work from home, so near the end I could work from home most of the time instead, and we are talking about setting me up at home completely so I can do 90% of my work at home and only have to go in to the office for a few things like meetings and orders etc

I've been thinking that sorting out maternity leave is ages away but after reading your post earlier I thought I'd look into it.
At the moment I'm due October 12th. However could changed a bit when I have my scan (in TWO DAYS!!!!!!!)

I'm thinking about not returning to work after as other half will be earning enough to support me so I have that option of leaving early and not worrying about coming back. Plus there's talk of redundancies coming up so I've also mentioned to other half that i may even put in for that too. See if I can get anywhere with it.

Looking at the dates, I could finish a month early (12th September) but then take a couple of weeks holiday as I get my years allowance on 1st May so I was thinking maybe 2-3 weeks of that which means I could leave about 12th august ish..... and that's not far off at all when you think about it... It's April now!!

I too am expecting my first baby and I'm along the same lines of it being warm and uncomfortable in the summer and wanting a bit time to myself before baby arrives. I've never had more than 5 days off at a time since I started here 11 years ago so I think I deserve this treat to myself and to enjoy the pregnancy whilst I can. I know if we were to have another one in a couple of years it'll be so tiring looking after a toddler and being pregnant so i'm thinking it's about time to have some 'me time' for once. I feel selfish saying that, but i've given up what people think!!

I've been thinking that sorting out maternity leave is ages away but after reading your post earlier I thought I'd look into it.
At the moment I'm due October 12th. However could changed a bit when I have my scan (in TWO DAYS!!!!!!!)

I'm thinking about not returning to work after as other half will be earning enough to support me so I have that option of leaving early and not worrying about coming back. Plus there's talk of redundancies coming up so I've also mentioned to other half that i may even put in for that too. See if I can get anywhere with it.

Looking at the dates, I could finish a month early (12th September) but then take a couple of weeks holiday as I get my years allowance on 1st May so I was thinking maybe 2-3 weeks of that which means I could leave about 12th august ish..... and that's not far off at all when you think about it... It's April now!!

I too am expecting my first baby and I'm along the same lines of it being warm and uncomfortable in the summer and wanting a bit time to myself before baby arrives. I've never had more than 5 days off at a time since I started here 11 years ago so I think I deserve this treat to myself and to enjoy the pregnancy whilst I can. I know if we were to have another one in a couple of years it'll be so tiring looking after a toddler and being pregnant so i'm thinking it's about time to have some 'me time' for once. I feel selfish saying that, but i've given up what people think!!

Prob me not reading it proper but u are entitled to leave 11 weeks b4 your due date, then if u have any hols u can take them prior to, if u r entitled to mat pay u will get it. It's 124 a week or 90% of ur wage what Evers less x from working it out that way I'd say if u wanted to leave the earliest u could would be middle of July depending on ur hols etc x x

I haven't 100% decided whether I'm going to come back to work or not yet, so I'm not going to finish too early just in case I decide to come back, but it is very tempting to take the 11 weeks early. If I did that I could finish (with my annual leave holidays in July.....ooooooooo that just sounds so tempting!!

I'm lucky as I get 100% pay for a full 52 weeks. I was quite shocked when I got the maternity policy last week at work. Other half was very impressed with the package I get!! xxx

You do realize with most places that if you dnt go back to work after your maternity leave you have to pay back the first 6 weeks at 90% to your company, so I surgest anyone planing on leaving go back for at least 4 weeks!

I haven't 100% decided whether I'm going to come back to work or not yet, so I'm not going to finish too early just in case I decide to come back, but it is very tempting to take the 11 weeks early. If I did that I could finish (with my annual leave holidays in July.....ooooooooo that just sounds so tempting!!

I'm lucky as I get 100% pay for a full 52 weeks. I was quite shocked when I got the maternity policy last week at work. Other half was very impressed with the package I get!! xxx

That's brilliant!!! Stat mat leaves only 39 weeks paid n rest unpaid, full year at full pay is ace I'd just leave n take the full 11 weeks n then u still won't need go bk till babys 8 /9 months old, x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back