Has anyone had an amniocentesis?

lillie

Reaction score
I'm booked to have one in a few weeks as my blood test results came back high risk. (1/70) I dont know what to expect really, does it hurt? has anyone had problems afterwards such as bleeding or even m/c?

Oh Lillie , nightmare !

Right well I didn't have an Amnio - I'm not sure but think RaKrak may have tho (hope you don't mind Rakrak).
I have the CVS instead, becasue that can be done up to 14 weeks, couldn't wait till 15 for the amnio. I got a 1 in 9 risk back cause of markers in the blood.

CVS is just the same as Amnio - except they take a sample of placenta instead of fluid from the bag. so is just the same - they give you a jab to numb the outside of tum, but can't numb the inside uterus bit, as it won't like it ! they go in the tummy with a needle about 2 and a bit inches below your belly button and then the needle goes in at a very steep angle down towards the uterus. It was uncomfortable more than hurt and I felt a bit bruised for the next week or so after. I took the day off to rest and did sleep all evening , but worked from home for the next two days and then had my holidya anyway, so no MC. I got period pains after for a week, which the warned me about, like the uterus was grumbling at havign a tiny hole in it!

they told me risk the same for both tests, but with CVS there is a 2-3 percent change of no result, but if didn't work amnio was next step.

Should take 20-30 mins, but they had problems with my old scar tissue from my 3 sections to get needle in, so mine too 1 hour 20 in the end, They only go into uterus once to save risks tho.

Ask about how full your bladder needs to be , as I had too much in there, and they kept stopping and askingme to half empty it! as it kept filling up and getting in the way.

I saw everything on screen, and had a long time to look the the baby while she was doing it.

I know you will be , but don't be worried about this test, it really was ok as a test, they were really lovely too and explained everything well as they did it.

Ask them how quickly you get results back. In my hosp (which is the same as yours!), as I was higher than 1 in 30 risk, they fast track the results for Trisomy 21 (downs), Trisomy 18 Edwards syndrome, and Trisomy 13. we got them by phone 2 days later. then we waited aother 2 weeks to get the final all clear letter for all smaller and rarer issues.

Reading do about 100 CVS every year apparently.

Take each day as it comes , or you will worry too much, any time you want to chat , shout me , i'll be there X

Last edited:
Hmm, OK thanks. perhaps its not as bad as Im imagining. I had a call from the screening midwife just before I went into a meeting yesterday and had a full on melt down in the car park - but hey - at least I've 2 days off worrying in the past 6 months.

I'm booked in for an amnio in 2 weeks time. The screening midwife told me about the CVS but didnt recommend it as I had miscarried before and there was a chance the CVS results wouldn't develop properly and then they would have to do an amnio which would double my chances of miscarrying again. I can fast track the results if I pay £100 - then they come back within 48 hours (downs syndrome only) and then, like you, I am going on holiday - cue loads of worrying about m/c miles away from the hospital etc.

I feel like Im getting to the end of my tether stress wise, what with all this crap - missed miscarriage, D&C, 2 episodes of bleeding, a faint pregnancy test at 8 week scan, and now an amnio all within 6 months. Am just about ready to explode with it all - bit worried about spending the evening with my MIL tomorrow, there may be bloodshed, especially if she has bought something for the baby (I told her not to until 20 weeks, but she was excited over the 'clear' 12 week scan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back