Amniocentesis - has anyone had one?

JayK2387

Reaction score
Im 21 and 17 weeks pregnant. Im booked in to have an amnio on Monday and im terrifed :cry:

has anyone had one? do they hurt?

can u just talk it through with me?

xxxx

I had one at 17 weeks. I had a few issues with mine but that's because there was supposed to be 2 doctors doing it, and it ended up being one doctor and one MW who didn't really know what she was doing. Saying that, all turned out ok. I went because of high risk from bloods so I got a full scan first then they done the amnio.

The doctor will put the needle into your belly, while looking at the screen to check where the baby is. Then they will put the syringe inside the needle part and pull out until they get enough amniotic fluid to test. That's it - it doesn't take long and it doesn't really hurt. You can feel it, but you're also watching the baby at the same time and concentrating on being very, very still. It can take them a little while to put the needle in because they obviously need to be very careful for it not to touch the baby, but remember that these people have probably carried out loads of these tests so are very experienced in what they are doing. The doctor that scanned me and that lead the amnio was really nice and explained everything in great detail and ensured it was really what I wanted. I also got the results back the next day so didn't have long to wait.

Hope all goes well, and please ask if you have any questions xoxox

I had one when i was about 21 weeks because my downs screening came back as 1:80 !!!

Please try not to worry too much it feels very similar to having your blood taken but through your tummy, it doesn't really hurt at all, just feels a little strange and it's over so quickly!

Good Luck.xxx :hug:

I also had one and totally agree with what the others have said, in fact I found it hurt less than having blood taken :think:

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back