Has anyone experienced or knows anything about Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (spd)

katiejane

Reaction score
I've been struggling with pains for a while and its been getting worse, then last night it became unbearable, and I really thought it might be the start of something. Thankfully not, but it turns out i've developed Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction and will need pain killers and physio for the rest of the pregnancy now, the doctor also advised to be careful with what I do and not over do things, lots of rest from now on! Just wondered if anyone know's anymore about this condition, because I hadn't even heard of it until a few hours ago. Thanks for reading :)

I personally dont know much about it hun sorry, but I think Megsmeadow should be able to help you! x

I had it in my sons pregnancy :( It was very painful :hug:

i have it, its horrid, i try to move as little as possible and generally keep myself relaxed, i also bought a bump support from Mothercare which has really helped me (its like a bra for your bump)

Rest is the answer though, and be really careful when turning over in bed, you really use your pelvis here and i have caused myself great pain not taking things slowly

xxxx

I had this last time, ended up needing crutches to get around when I got up in the morning. All I can suggest is keep your legs together when you get out of bed, in and out of the car and make sure its in your birth plan or the midwives know about it as it will affect how wide you are able to open your legs in labour. I also had an elastic belt to wear but it didnt really help me, hence the crutches. Take it easy xx

Hiya! Yes and it's a real pain!!! I had coccyx pain which started at nine weeks and it's slowly been getting worse since then. Mine is more general pelvic girdle pain which includes the symphysis pubis, sounds like yours is too. At best it's an ache in my back, pubic bone, and round ligaments, at worst I'm in tears and can barely move, clicking and crunching as I go. I've been signed off work for the last 5 weeks and that'll be reviewed in 3 weeks time. I've also got co-codamol but GP said I could have something stronger if I needed it. He also said I could try a tens machine although I had heard mixed comments about the safety of this so early on, GP didn't share these concerns and said to give it a try!
I saw a physio at 15 weeks who gave me two different maternity support belts but they were really uncomfortable. Because they were so rigid they dug into my bump. I ended up with a large tubigrip doubled over which goes from just under my bra to down over my hips. It helps to basically hold your pelvis together and also takes the weight of the bump a little bit. I've had to cut the tubigrip now though because it's getting too tight, but still offers support, I'm not sure the bump bands cover the same length.
So do's and don'ts...................
Sitting on a gym ball is supposed to help to strengthen your 'core', don't do anything on it, your body works naturally to keep you balanced.
The physio will test how wide you can open your legs safely and this will impact on how you do things around the house. When in labour you should avoid being in the lithotomy position (on your back with your legs up) as this really stretches the joints which are already stretching too much. Standing, down on all fours etc is much better and allows the coccyx to move rather than forcing the pubic joint to open further.
No long walks and swimming is restricted to doggy paddle, or floating, but I was told to avoid the water as it encourages you to do too much, and you end up really sore after that.
No standing for long periods as there is a lot of weight going through the pelvis.
When you turn in bed keep your knees together (I heard silky jammies/sheets helps with this), getting in/out of bed turn onto your side first, swing legs out together and push your top half up with your arms.
Getting in/out car keep your knees together (I use a plastic bag for life on my seat to reduce the friction of my clothes on the seat fabric, makes it easier to swivel out).
Getting in/out the bath exactly the same as the car if they give you a bath board (I'm an occupational therapist so was able to order myself one of these).
No high steps and avoid stairs where possible.

I think I might just have reached my longest post ever....................feel free to PM me! How much info did they give you about what SPD actually is?

Last edited:
Wow thank you, all that info is great. Megsmeadow, you poor thing having it for so long, i suppose i should be greatful that its only developed now, i'm amazed by how much pain its causing, but the co-codamol seems to help. I will take all your advice on board. May sound like an odd question, but how do sufferers cope with day to day things in the house, like ironing, cleaning, standing to cook a meal, food shopping - these are all things i've really been struggling with and to be honest thought i must be getting lazy and unfit to be struggling with stuff i've always done. Reading online, all these things are recommend to avoid, but i don't see how i can.

They told me very little to be honest honey at the hospital, just briefly what it was and a brief list of what i can't do, that i'd get to see a physio in about a week and sent me away with pain killers that i must take. I still feel shell shocked i think, perhaps i've been ignorant but i didn't even realise the condition existed, let alone that i had it. I really feel like m stupid body has failed me again. I know i'm feeling sorry for myself and should give my head a shake, it could be down to almost no sleep in two nights now, but i'm so glad you ladies on here know so much about it, i feel there's someone that understands. I really am so grateful xx

No problem, sorry if it's information overload!!
The key is to pace yourself. Never get to the point where you are really sore if you can. If you are going shopping, don't then do a lot of housework, spread things over the week so you can do a little each day. Plan things in advance so if you are doing the ironing get it all together, get coathangers ready etc and don't take lots of trips going up and down the stairs (if you have them). Make sure your shopping list is in aisle order so you only walk the minimum and don't have to go back and forth, or online shopping is even better!!!
I have a tall perch stool (like a breakfast stool) in the kitchen so I can sit down often for things like doing dishes and preparing veg etc, I wouldn't advise sitting at a cooker as that is quite dangerous. Try and get things that are ready prepared, like veg or make a lot at a time so you can freeze meal sized portions and heat them up in the microwave or oven.
Don't feel lazy! I have a two hour nap in the early evening and sit down very often. Make sure there is a seat you can get comfortable in and is high enough not to struggle to get off of. I get my OH to do anything heavy, like hoovering and taking things up and down stairs, or in from the car.

I'm an occupational therapist so my job is to break down and analyse all these sorts of activities of daily living to make them easier for people with specific health problems. The physio might refer you on to an OT, I didn't because they thought it would be a bit of a waste of my time! :) I really hope you get some relief. All these things we do are habit and you really have to think about how you move and what you do. It's hard work!! :)

Oh thank you so much for taking the time for all this, its not information overload at all. Are you able to explain in english what it is, because i'm still not sure i fully understand other than the fact its very inconvienient when we already have much to contend with and that it hurts like hell lol.

Breaking the tasks down to daily jobs and maybe doing it as a list that i stick to sounds like a good idea, my OH is wonderful in some ways and wants to get a cleaner and someone to do the ironing, but i'm quite independent and don't like the idea of someone else doing it if that makes sense. So first of all i will try doing little bits at a time and not setting my daily goals too high. Do you still drive? xx

I'll try my best! The hormones released during pregnancy are designed to loosen the ligaments which surround all of our joints to accommodate a growing baby and also to prepare for birth. That's why we have to be careful lifting anything because it' far easier to hurt yourself. In SPD it seems that the ligaments loosen too much so you end up with excessive movement in the pelvic joints.

There is a joint at the front of the pelvis, the pubic symphysis and two joints at the back, the sacroiliac joints where your pelvis connects to your spine just a bit higher than your tail bone. These all loosen naturally but when the gaps become too wide in the joints it makes the pelvis quite unstable and painful. You often get crunching and grinding of the joints too.

The risk is if you repeatedly stretch these joints too far it becomes harder for the body to re-align them after the birth when the hormones return to normal. So you have to try and protect the pelvis as much as possible. Bearing in mind it takes all the weight and pressure from the top half of your body but also pressure upwards through your legs, it deals with balance when sitting and standing still or moving. It does a lot of work in a day!

So if you are just sore at the front it's only SPD but if you are sore at the back too then it's technically called pelvic girdle pain, although most will refer to it still as SPD. The pain might also move to your groin area and feel like it's in your hips, or moving down into the thigh a bit. There's also some round ligaments which is more inside the pelvis where your pelvic floor muscles are, connected to the pelvis, these can be affected too.

Ideally after birth when your hormones return to normal so will the pelvic joints although sometimes this won't happen without more physio etc. It can take hours or years to improve, so if you can look after yourself now then it's much better in the longer term.

Oh and there's no harm getting a cleaner to do some of the heavy work (my cleaner is my OH:) ) And it might help you to prioritise so you can keep doing the stuff you want to do, rather than need to. And I still drive but only short distances as my right side is worse than my left so constantly moving from accelerator to brake can be quite uncomfortable!

Last edited:
Hiya,

Just reading this thread and wanted to say that I sympathise as I have this too. I'm full of energy and feel great but can't do anything much or it starts hurting and as night times are the worst, I am really wary of overdoing it - really hard when you're in the middle of moving house!!

I was given all the advice Megsmeadow has put above and was also told that hoovering, sweeping and mowing lawns are big no-nos as you move the weight across the pelvis. The pysiotherapist also told me that I shouldn't do any more on a good day than I would do on a bad day as I was finding that the pain seemed to ease a bit during the day and so I'd push myself to keep active and help OH pack things up and load the car. I'd then really suffer in the night with achey legs, and excrutiating pain every time I moved at all.

I have to say that frustrating as it's been, really cutting down on what I do, letting people help me, slowing down and sitting down at every opportunity has really seemed to help. It's not better, but so far (touch wood!), it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and I feel like I'm managing it. When I sit on my arse of an evening I really see a difference the next day. The pysiotherapist told me to take it very seriously as some women can end up in a wheelchair by the time they give birth!

I hope you are able to at least get it under control and work out ways of making the pain less. Some people find putting pillows between their legs can help relieve it at night, but for me this seems to make it worse. Take care and take it easy!!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back