Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction

frangelle

Reaction score
Just popped in from tri 2, I wondered if anyone here suffers/has suffered from this?

Only I have been in agony in my groin and surrounding areas for weeks now, and often here a clicking noise, which sounds exactly like SPD.

I find it quite hard to walk at times, particularly upstairs, and getting up in the night for a wee is agony. It seems to be getting progressively worse, and constantly aches, but only gets really bad once or twice a day.

I have a midwife appointment in 8 days and wondered if it was worth me going sooner, if she could help with the pain if it is this?

Any advice appreciated, especially from those who have experienced it.

Thankyou!!! xxx

I had that exact same thing from around weeks 15-25 it was diagnosed as severe ligament strain not SPD and was told it would go, funnily enough it did. She said it would be agrivated by climbing stairs, getting into bed and so forth and just to rest as much as possible (easier said than done right). I do remember going to my 24 week appointment and them asking how it was and saying "umm better actually" by the 28 week appointment I had nothing to report at all, completely gone. Big difference between ligament strain and SPD but do speak to your midwife about it. The ligaments there are so tightly knitted together that the stretching just causes aches, strains etc....SPD is completely different and can get far worse and remain with you untill baby is around a year old in worst cases....you would then be almost 100% likely to get it again with a 2nd, 3rd child etc. Do speak to the midwife but a lot of time the soreness is just past off as ligament pains, they are similar to start with though.

Thanks Nicola :hug:

It also worries me that I keep getting this clicky grinding noise when I walk though! That's what lead me to belive it was SPD! Are these symptoms common with ligament strain?

xxx

You definitely have it, i had it with last baby and you do need to see your MW sooner so she can refer you to a physio whi can show you some excercises to help ease the pain. You may be out on a support band depending on how bad it is, i know ladies that have beern on crutches with it.

Hi hun I have this and I completely sympatise with you I have exactly the same symptons as you its a nightmare turning in bed and getting up for the loo in the night is agony I have to hang onto the furniture.

When I first told my mw I thought I had it she just said it was the weight of the baby :roll: :wall: I knew this wasn't the case as my sister had it so I actually new what I was talking about. Anyway unfortunately your midwife can do nothing for you but do make sure she puts it in your notes as it might affect you during delivery :? My sister recommends these people http://www.mctimoney-chiropractic.org/treat_preg.htm they are training in treating pregnant women with this condition. With her second pg she was on crutches from about 24 weeks and needed a wheelchair at the end if she wanted to go anywhere but when she was pg the third time she was referred to these chiropractors and didn't even need crutches they gave her lots and lots of tips of what to do and more importantly what not to do. Opening your legs wide is a definitely no no, so no straddling during rumpy pumpy you have to find more imaginative positions.

I eventually got my GP to referr me to physio but they weren't trained with SPD and she kept trying to get me to open my legs to try and strengthen the muscels I'm 34 weeks its way too late for that. So I've booked an apt with a mctimoney chiropractor next week and hopefully she'll sort me out.

Best of luck hun and most importantly listen to your body and take it easy.

Sounds like SPD. I got my midwife to refer me to the physio and that really helped. Try and get seen soon as you dont want it getting too bad that you need crutches (like I did :roll: )

Thanks for all your advice guys :hug: its much appreciated.

I have left a message on the midwifes answer phone just saying I have been in agony for a few weeks now, and could she ring me when she gets the chance!

I had that from quite early on and I think it really spoilt my pregnancy along with other complications. I used crutches and then was actually wheel chair bound for about 3 weeks. I stil had it for about 2 weeks after giving birth but that could be due to me having leg in stirrups whilst giving birth.

Try and get referred for physio and get one of them gorgeous belts

The physio person I saw said I shouldn't have a belt as I would only rely on it :evil: she was next to useless :?

smurf said:
The physio person I saw said I shouldn't have a belt as I would only rely on it :evil: she was next to useless :?

All the info I've read recommends the use of belts as it holds everything together. Was she abit evil?!!!

D'you I think she might have all the exercises she wanted me to do are the complete opposite to whats recommeded for SPD. She's never been pregnant so had no idea what the pain was like.

The belt helped me but the weather was so bloody hot it used to make my belly sweat :shock: :shock:

In the end I used to sort of just hold my belly as it was way to heavy - only had a small baby in the end and didnt carry much water so dont know what it was

I really dont want to suffer with it again if I have another.

I think swimming may have brought mine on ???

Eveadel did you used to swim the breast stroke. Apparently that's not wise as it encourages you to open your legs wide so you could be right.

Yes I did swim breast stroke but stopped as soon as I heard it wasnt very good. I had all good intentions to swim throughout the whole of my pregnancy to prepare myself physically for birth but I had to stop going :(

See I'm not really into exercise so I don't know why I'm like this :think: all I do is walk to the school and back 5 mins away twice a day, and dont work at the mo, so am getting plenty of rest.

Maybe its not SPD...

Can you tell me if you felt the pain all the time or just now and again?

Hun I don't do exercise either just sit at my desk in work all day. My discomfort started at night turning over in bed it started off being a bit sore to being absolute agony. With the walking its not too bad but if I overdo it it I am really sore for the next couple of days.

I started getting sore last week and mentioned it to my MW who said it sounds like SPD. She said its really common and is "just one of those things". She's referred me to a physio but said that they'll just give me exervcises to do - I've been doing the exercises for a few months now cause they're in my Hypnobirthing book. She said they might give me a support belt to wear but they don't always work. I'm just going to keep doing my exercises and sitting on my ball and take it easy when I need to . I really hate it when I hear it clicking though, kind of freaks me out! x

I've got it too had it since about 18 weeks and its getting much much worse thank god i only have 4/5 weeks left, even short distances nearly kill me and my hips click like my grannys teeth :roll:
My GP/MW just said take paracetamol and rest, :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back