Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction SPD

Rooander

Reaction score
Im not sure if this subject is posted on here at all but I thought Id start one up anyway.
Ive just been told i have this and boy is it painful!!!!!!
I started having groin pains right from the off of being pregnant but the midwife didnt make any comments on it and just said it was down to growing pains but last night was the last straw!!!!!
I couldnt get comfortable at all and had these pains going all over my tummy and trying to walk was unbearable. So hubby decided we should call the midwifes and see what they suggest.
They said I should go into the delivery suite and just get checked out. We were there for about 2 hours, being monitored and having all the usual, blood pressure, wee sample etc.
In the end the consultant said I had this SPD and Ive been referred to a physio.
The midwife was lovely and just as we were about to leave to come home she said "this wont be the last time we see you before you give birth" We just thought Oh No!!!!! She gave a little chuckle and we couldnt help but laugh ourselves. You got to keep in great spirits havent you????

Is there anyone else out there who suffers from this too as I would be very grateful for any advice given. How you cope with it etc!

I have been lucky to escape it but I know that Sami is suffering with this and a couple of others as well.

I really feel for you though, as I am a wimp when it comes to pain.

I was initially diagnosed with SPD by my GP and put on the waiting list for physio (4 month wait) but cheated and went with mum to see her physio. Mum has had SPD for years so I was hoping to get some leaflets and exercises. It turns out I have osteoarthritis in my hip instead but the pain, advice and exercises are similar to what my mum has.

Whatever exercises your physio gives you, do them religiously. I have ten to do before I get out of bed and for the first few days managed one of them before getting back under the duvet. Now I can manage all ten and am pretty mobile all day - even managed a day out with the kids, OH and my mum and dad yesterday and it took about 4 hours before nicking mums scooter.

http://www.spd-uk.org/

With SPD, keep your legs together as much as possible (mum said I should have tried that before getting pregnant, then the problem wouldn't arise!!!!)

Tracy xx

tracyM said:
With SPD, keep your legs together as much as possible (mum said I should have tried that before getting pregnant, then the problem wouldn't arise!!!!)

Tracy xx

LOL, mum's are always right!!!

Thanks for the advice. Ive just had a phone call this morning to say the physio has just had a cancellation so luckily Ive got my first appointment this Thursday. I was so worried that I would have to wait ages as we all know whats it like to be waiting!!!!!

Its horrible because normally I am such a mobile person, love walking and going to the gym etc, I only gave up professional dancing 2 years ago so this has come as a real knock not to be able to do the things I would normally do.

Love the comment about keeping your legs together, made me chuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back