Had to phone an ambulance for Kayden today :( - UPDATE 07/03 - Its still happening :(

littlemiss83

Reaction score
:cry::cry:

This morning, I took eldest LO to school as usual, Kayden always comes with us in his buggy, got home & we put all baby stuff away at night, seat/mat ect. So I took his jacket & hat off & went into his bedroom to get his mat, I put him in the corner of our corner suite...its the biggest part of the couch & there's no way he'd roll of or anything (safe in my eyes) he wasn't sitting upright straight but at an angle if that makes sense, so he couldn't topple, when I came back in, he hadn't moved but he looked lathargic, I thought his lips looked blue, but wasn't sure if it was the light, I picked him up, he was kinda gasping for breaths & i walked about with him (pacing while thinking) & he seemed to be ok & his breathing went back to normal, so I layed him down on his mat, he slept for a while then woke up, looked a bit strange again (like in a daze) his lips were defo blue again & he was gasping i picked him up & his head went floppy, eyes shutting. I phoned an ambulance immediately I cant even remember what they were saying to me, something about unlocking door (was unlocked anyway) then about 3 mins later 2 ambulances come screeching down the road & paramedics charging into my house.

I had screamed on OH who was sleeping, i've never seen him move so fast. Just as the ambulance crew got in OH picked up LO & LO was all smiles & thrashing about as normal :shock: so they came in & i was shaking like a leaf, couldn't speak, and I could see them speaking to me but I couldn't hear a thing (strange) OH was like...there's nothing up with him, he's fine, she's had him lying funny ect. I calmed a bit & explained everything, while they checked him, all absolutely fine, airway fine, lungs fine, heart fine ect ect. And he was lying there on the paramedics lap, laughing, smiling away & they're all going awwwww ect, i'm like OMG i need some oxygen myself, i'm gona pass out. Was told to sit down, they said think mums in more state than baby. They said he absolutely fine. They offered to take him to yorkhill (kids hosp) I said if you say he's ok, I take ur word for it. They said that sometimes when babies lie in a squashed up/sitting position their lungs can get crushed, or their airway gets blocked, esp if they've got a wee chubby neck like kayden.

Turns out the mat he'd been sleeping on....it had a blanket down on top of it, coz we have cold floors & the blanket was un-even, which probs caused it to happen again (because he wasn't lying straight flat & his lower body ever so slightly higher than top part).

So.......it turns out i'm a bad mummy :cry: :cry: I was irresponsible & didn't put LO down on a flat surface on 2 occasions & god knows the consequences if I hadn't noticed. OH made sure I knew how much of a shit mum I was after they all left, he said he couldn't believe i'd put LO on the sofa like that, & said all sorts of horrible things. He was raging coz he got such a fright.

Anyway, that was it. They asked me about medical probs, he's never had anything wrong, but I forgot to tell them he had cord wrapped round his neck twice during birth.

Ugh, i'm such a bad mummy & i'm so upset. Not looking for any sympathy for me, only my poor baby who suffered at my hands

:cry: :cry:

Last edited:
oh my goodness this must have been awful for all of you :(

I'm glad he's okay now.

Your not a bad mummy! I wouldn't have known that and i'm sure there are many other mums who wouldn't have known that not lying them on a flat surface can do this. Everybody makes mistakes... My LO rolled off the bed a while back and i cried my eyes out. Luckily she was fine and was laughing again within five minutes but it's so scary when it happens. Being a mum is a learning experience... Sometimes you don't realise that something is wrong until you've done it.

Try not to be too hard on your self little miss :( I'm sure your a fabulous mummy... just the way you reacted so quickly shows how much you care about LO. Nobody would doubt that. It's just one of those things that everyone can learn from.

Really glad Kayden is ok

xxx

Please don't blame yourself Hun, we all make mistakes. must of been so scary for you glad he's ok :hugs: x

:hug: oh gosh that must have been scary!

You're not a bad mummy at all! This type of thing can happen in a carseat too! It's just one of those things. Hopefully it will never happen again :hug: don't blame yourself though!

your NOT a bad mum hun. :hugs:

i would have done the same but its all a learning curve for us, how were you to know that was going to happen??
shame on OH for making you feel that way

i never knew that sitting baby up or uneven blanket could do that...
glad he's ok hun. xxx :hugs:

:hug: oh gosh that must have been scary!

You're not a bad mummy at all! This type of thing can happen in a carseat too! It's just one of those things. Hopefully it will never happen again :hug: don't blame yourself though!

Really??

I didn't know that!! He was in the car seat bit of his buggy just before it happened...

:shock:

Thanks everyone.

xxxxxxx

Oh gosh glad he's okay now! You're not a bad mummy at all :hugs: xx

i would have done the same but its all a learning curve for us, how were you to know that was going to happen??

OH was ragggiiinnnn - we've been together nearly 10 years & i've never heard him speak to me like that, he said next time an ambulance gets foned it'll be me going in it (if I let that happen to him again)....:shock::shock:

He also said i'm probably gona get the social work at my door for bad parenting. Even tho the social work are more likely to come because of him speaking to me like that in front of paramedics they probs think i'm a battered wife, i could fking kill him.

:mad::mad:

Goodness so glad you are all ok. My OH always sits LO on the sofa! No more me thinks!

How old is he? On tapatalk so can't see tickets.

thats an awful thing to say!

Maybe he was just in shock about what happened. As you said they were there really quickly. It could just as easily have been him that was caring for Kayden when it happened and i'm sure you wouldn't have said that to him

:( Hugs for you... Ignore him

xxx

OH was ragggiiinnnn - we've been together nearly 10 years & i've never heard him speak to me like that, he said next time an ambulance gets foned it'll be me going in it (if I let that happen to him again)....:shock::shock:

He also said i'm probably gona get the social work at my door for bad parenting. Even tho the social work are more likely to come because of him speaking to me like that in front of paramedics they probs think i'm a battered wife, i could fking kill him.

:mad::mad:

WHAT??? there is no social worker gonna end up on your doorstep for being a concerned parent... you must have been mortofied enough when LO was fine...but giving out to you like that in front of the paramedics must have doubled it

maybe it was the shock of it all and he didn't really mean it :(

chin up hun :hugs:

:hugs: - your def not a bad mummy. Crikey - i had georgia proped up on the couch today trying to get some decent pics to do thank you cards with - would have no idea that it could be risky.

Im sure your OH just got a shock. xxx

He's 4 months pinky

paramedics said babies should only be put on surfaces/seats designed for baby, coz they're tested ect. I didn't know that & this is my 2nd. Why had no one mentioned this b4? I knew they couldn't sleep in certain places & be put where they could roll over or suffocate but not sitting & it was literally 2 miliseconds he was like that (apart from the time in his car seat)

OH was in a right state he'd only been awake a cpl of mins & i'd woke him by screaming LO isn't breathing right & going blue on lips. I know he didn't mean it but as u can imagine it made me worse!

:roll:

Last edited:
Don't feel bad! We all make mistakes. Blimey I've dropped my iPhone and a remote control on LOs head!

I hope ur OH calms down soon!

your not a bad mother you did the right thing calling ambulance :hugs:
dont listen to OH he was just in shock...
has he ever been checked for heart murmer, just saying because my sister in laws son has one and he gets blue around the mouth and shortness of breath??

:shock: just because it was a shock doesn't give him the right to talk to you like that. I'm always sitting l/O on the sofa. - had no idea about the uneven surface thing! Hope you get over the ordeal soon, better safe than sorry x

your not a bad mother you did the right thing calling ambulance :hugs:
dont listen to OH he was just in shock...
has he ever been checked for heart murmer, just saying because my sister in laws son has one and he gets blue around the mouth and shortness of breath??

Dont know if he's been checked specifically for heart murmour, just the usual baby checks, but I had one when I was wee. Might take him to doc's for checks. Paramedics didn't seem that bothered tbh. They said if it was serious they wouldn't be sat there, they'd be in the ambulance

Last edited:
Oh hun you poor thing, I hope you're ok now. Please do not feel like a bad mother, you're not at all! You would never intentionally done that if you knew if may cause your baby harm and you reacted very well by calling the ambulance immediately and recognising that something was not right = excellent mummy in my eyes. xx.

Oh Hun u r not a bad mummy....that must have been so scary. Glad he is OK. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back