Growing up milk or normal?

SunnyGirl

Reaction score
Hiya!
The boy will be one in just over a fortnight, so I'm hoping to wean him onto either cow's milk or Cow & Gate growing up milk. Is the growing up milk a bit of a gimmick? I know it has added vitamins, but it's essentially cow's milk...

Sent via Tapatalk

I've heard it is a gimmick, might be wrong though as Im still bf so not up to date on formula.

It totally sounds like a gimmick - I mean, they should be getting all their vits from food by then. It sort of plays on your fear that you're not feeding them properly, doesn't it? Hmmm - a ponderer...

I switched my lo to the growing up milk when he turned one but when I saw my HV she told me it was all a waste of money and actually full fat cows milk was just fine, so I switched him to that. He has been on full fat milk ever since and we haven't had any problems. The HV said that full fat milk contains all the vitamins that lo needs.

It is a gimmick! If it was needed then the goverment would give milk tokens for it to those who r entitled! Waste of money!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Gimmick. If you ever notice its the only Formula boots or any other retailer are allowed to offers on x

Thanks ladies - that's me decided, that is. I've already started cows' milk on his cereals, so next stop is switching his bottles slowly onto fully cows' milk. I bloody knew it was a gimmick!! So naughty.

Sent via Tapatalk

I have just logged on to ask the same question!! Lo is 1 on Wed and I'm just about to run out of formula so I am thinking do I go to the shops today and buy his normal formula, or do I buy the next stage growing up milk formula, or do I not bother and just start cows milk?
I agree that giving formula is like a crutch you know they are getting some vitamins from it but then like you say if I am giving him the right food and a balanced diet then I shouldnt be worrying about him needing the extra from formula!???? I hate the fact these companies make you mistrust your instincts and feel like you need their product!

Would you suggest I make lo go cold turkey straight onto cows milk in his bottles or should I go get another tub of formula and do the transition gradually???

Also would you still sterilise bottles when using them with cows milk??

I have just logged on to ask the same question!! Lo is 1 on Wed and I'm just about to run out of formula so I am thinking do I go to the shops today and buy his normal formula, or do I buy the next stage growing up milk formula, or do I not bother and just start cows milk?
I agree that giving formula is like a crutch you know they are getting some vitamins from it but then like you say if I am giving him the right food and a balanced diet then I shouldnt be worrying about him needing the extra from formula!???? I hate the fact these companies make you mistrust your instincts and feel like you need their product!

Would you suggest I make lo go cold turkey straight onto cows milk in his bottles or should I go get another tub of formula and do the transition gradually???

Also would you still sterilise bottles when using them with cows milk??

Would like to know opinions on this too! I am gonna go to cows milk, follow ons def sound like a money making gimmick to me! Ethan has vitamin drops too anyway coz he doesnt drink loads of formula anymore x

yeh lo only has a bottle before bed and one to help him settle for his afternoon nap so he isnt getting much formula these days he just uses it to settle down and sleep its more of a comfort thing. God knows how I am gonna ween him off a bottle but I will cross that bridge at a later date lol!!!!!! He will take his water from one of those cups with a straw but if I try give his formula in that when I put him to bed he wont take it, he will only accept a bottle!!

Got two secs to reply! Jo Frost's book shows how to wean onto cows' milk slowly by upping the quantity of that and reducing the formula. So you do a mix and gradually reduce the formula part. That's what I'm going to do!

Sent via Tapatalk

Jack hated cows milk at first so we started using toddler milk (I think it's a gimmick but he needed milk) and after a few weeks started offering him 1 bottle of cows milk and giving him the toddler milk for bedtime. Slowly he got used to the cows milk and now loves his bedtime cows milk bottle, it's gone in minutes!! :) x

I wish i could switch to cows milk, still have to make up.formula

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Got two secs to reply! Jo Frost's book shows how to wean onto cows' milk slowly by upping the quantity of that and reducing the formula. So you do a mix and gradually reduce the formula part. That's what I'm going to do!

Sent via Tapatalk

So do you put cows milk in the formula instead of water? or instead of a scoop of formula?

Sent via Tapatalk

So do you put cows milk in the formula instead of water? or instead of a scoop of formula?

No, you stop using formula altogether and just put whole cows milk in a bottle/ beaker.

My lo took to cows milk really well. I put it on his cereal from 6 months, then offered him 1 bottle a day from 12 months. Within a couple of weeks both his bottles were cows milk.

Its more there for children who are fussy eaters and don't like cows milk. The toddler milk is sweeter. I put my son on it for about a month but i put him on it at eleven and half months old x

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk 2

I've heard people saying that its just a gimmick but I can't bring myself to not get it for my LO. she's 14 months old and I have her on the green tin of SMA toddler milk 1-3 years simply because it has 40x more iron etc.

I'm looking at possibly changing onto cow's milk but I'd get a vitamin supplement for her to take if I do. I always cave in and get the toddler formula though. It's purely down to guilt as I'd feel so bad if she got ill due to lack of vitamins and I know that's highly unlikely because I feed her well but I can't seem to get over it :wall2:

I'm no help am I! :lol: xx

Have faith in yourself BabysMomma, :hugs:
with regards to milk/bottles/cups, why not try just putting the milk straight into a sippy cup and seeing what the LO thinks? It might be different enough to prove a novelty,
To wean T from the bottle I used a tommee tippee beaker the tall one like this:
http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/first_beaker/
warmed for 30-40 seconds...
:flower:

Oz wouldn't touch cows milk so he has c&g toddler milk. Its flavoured with vanilla and he loves it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back