• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Grant for first born...

twinkles

Reaction score
Do these still exist? Someone said you can still get £500 grant or your first born, is this right??? How does it all work? X

yes if u claim a certain benift u can x

As usual, people who work hard get bog all! Xx

i know how you all feel wish i could get some extra help x

Ha ha sorry girls! Don't even get me started on what u get if self employed!!!!! Grrrrr x

That's naff all for me too then x
Below is the criteria...

Who can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant?
You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner, receive any of the following on the date you claim:
Income Support
income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Pension Credit
Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award
and if one of the following applies to you on the date you claim:
you or your partner are pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks or have given birth within the last three months
a dependent child you receive benefit for is expecting a baby within 11 weeks or has given birth within the last three months
you are not the mother and*have become the responsible lone parent of a baby no more than one year old
you or your partner have*been granted an adoption or a residence order for a baby no more than one year old
you and your partner have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth and the baby is no more than one year old
you or your partner have been appointed the guardian of a baby no more than one year old
you or your partner have had a baby placed with you for adoption by an agency*and the baby is no more one year old
you or your partner have adopted a baby abroad and the baby is no more than one year old
The term partner is used here to mean:
a person you are married to or a person you live with as if you are married to them
a civil partner or a person you live with as if you are civil partners

Unfortunately I was made redundant unexpectedly just last month and no one will employ me being pregnant even though im willing to work right up til my due date. so I'm so thankful for this grant. Ive been in employment since i was 17 and im 25 now so have def paid my fair share of tax and ni. If it wasn't for it I don't know how I'd buy stuff for baby as the way things are right now the benefits I get don't even cover my outgoings and rent :( certainly not the way I've chose to live and would give anything to be working

Kra I don't think anyone is saying that those on low income don't deserve it ... But my opinion is it would be nice if very one was entitled to something. I know that once I'm
On smp I will struggle and technically be classed as low income (200ish a month after deductions) however will be entitled nothing

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

The way I see it is this.
When on maternity leave I will earn the same amount as someone with an extremely low paid job, then that will go down to nothing. Therefore I should be entitled to the same benefits as any other person in these circumstances.
But because I have a good full time job the rest of the time, I'm entitled to nothing?
So I have to live on less than minimum wage or go back to work.
Smp won't cover half my mortgage, never mind any other bills or food! So I have to go back to work, probably after 4 months or we can't survive financially. The perils of being the main breadwinner and female eh? x

Unfortunately I was made redundant unexpectedly just last month and no one will employ me being pregnant even though im willing to work right up til my due date. so I'm so thankful for this grant. Ive been in employment since i was 17 and im 25 now so have def paid my fair share of tax and ni. If it wasn't for it I don't know how I'd buy stuff for baby as the way things are right now the benefits I get don't even cover my outgoings and rent :( certainly not the way I've chose to live and would give anything to be working

I'm not saying people in situations like your own don't deserve it but, like others have said, once on smp, I'll have very little once bills are paid. I have to go back earlier than I'd like to, too, then we find out we're not eligible to working tax credits. I've been working since I was 15 so totally get what you're saying but the system is a joke for some.

Xx

Last edited:
When on maternity leave I will earn the same amount as someone with an extremely low paid job, then that will go down to nothing. Therefore I should be entitled to the same benefits as any other person in these circumstances.
But because I have a good full time job the rest of the time, I'm entitled to nothing?

I think you've pretty much summed it up right there!

I never thought anyone was suggesting that? All I'm saying is I'm thankful for the extra help

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

So I have to live on less than minimum wage or go back to work.
Smp won't cover half my mortgage, never mind any other bills or food! So I have to go back to work, probably after 4 months or we can't survive financially. The perils of being the main breadwinner and female eh? x

I'm currently the main breadwinner due to OH's industry (he is a decorator) being shit and the family business that his Dad started from scratch in the 70's will be wound up this year. OH had grand plans to take it over but it isn't going to happen!

Luckily we rent from a family member who lives abroad with his wife and kids and has paid off his mortgage so we get a very good deal for central London. However it is a one bed and we will need to move by the time bub gets a bit older...

I plan to take a full year - this is based on a combination of savings, ad hoc payments from work for acrued holiday and OH getting a full time job (God willing, his industry is very limited so he may have to go into something low skilled with a low wage until I go back to work!!)

Even with OH working effectively part time at the moment, we have it pretty good right now but when I go on maternity leave my income will drop dramatically. What I will receive per month is just slightly more than what I currently clear a week :shock:

xxxxxxxxxxx

I never thought anyone was suggesting that? All I'm saying is I'm thankful for the extra help

People get the wrong end of the stick don't they!?

The way I see it is that everyone has a right to apply for anything to help them along.

Just because you earn a high income, doesn't mean to say you CANT apply for it..
Apply for it, if you get turned down, you know where you stand.

My OH's friend and his mrs is on a high income, applied for the grant and got it. So it is possible!

I think it's great you're getting the grant. You deserve it. Really was just saying that it'd be nice for everyone to be entitled xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back