• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First pregnancy grant???

Am I reading right??? So if your a first time mum, you get help. But if you already have kids, you get no help?? My boys are 12 & 13, so I have got to start all over again as if I am a first time mum :( that sucks if you cant get any help! Think the NHS need to update the pregnancy books as it said I would get £190, I mean I know its not much but I thought that was the cot sorted :(

Yeah me too hun with the £190, I was gutted when I heard it had stopped as I read it in that book too. I think maybe you could ring the Sure Start Grant and see what they say as you've not claimed it before? I'm not 100% on that, I think as you've had children they assume you've got pram, cot etc but obviously with such a gap you wont have now and even if you did they would be slightly dated and not what you want for a new baby. I think its basicly tuff in thier opin ion but I dont understand why if you've never claimed it before as oddly it says about the grant 'it doesnt matter what you spend it on' whch baffles me. Obvioisly some wouldnt spend it on baby but them giving you the option is rather strange. No harm in asking them though with your situation but I'm pretty sure you wont get anywhere with them xxx

Im also very confused. From what my OH and I earn we should be entitled, to certain childcare benefits but my OH earns overtime, which going by last year would take us over this.
Do they judge just your basic?

This is what it says online x
Who can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner, receive any of the following on the date you claim:
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
  • Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

and if one of the following applies to you on the date you claim:
  • you or your partner are pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks or have given birth within the last three months
  • a dependent child you receive benefit for is expecting a baby within 11 weeks or has given birth within the last three months
  • you are not the mother and have become the responsible lone parent of a baby no more than one year old
  • you or your partner have been granted an adoption or a residence order for a baby no more than one year old
  • you and your partner have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth and the baby is no more than one year old
  • you or your partner have been appointed the guardian of a baby no more than one year old
  • you or your partner have had a baby placed with you for adoption by an agency and the baby is no more one year old
  • you or your partner have adopted a baby abroad and the baby is no more than one year old
The term partner is used here to mean:
  • a person you are married to or a person you live with as if you are married to them
  • a civil partner or a person you live with as if you are civil partners

Oh am i thinking of the wrong grant! Gutted thats gone then it would have bought a lot of nappies, I wish instead of getting rid of it compleatly if they had turned it into voulchers you could only spend on baby things that would be fine by me!! My mum said to just put in for the grant the worst they can say is no lol x

Am I reading right??? So if your a first time mum, you get help. But if you already have kids, you get no help?? My boys are 12 & 13, so I have got to start all over again as if I am a first time mum :( that sucks if you cant get any help! Think the NHS need to update the pregnancy books as it said I would get £190, I mean I know its not much but I thought that was the cot sorted :(

Yeah me too hun with the £190, I was gutted when I heard it had stopped as I read it in that book too. I think maybe you could ring the Sure Start Grant and see what they say as you've not claimed it before? I'm not 100% on that, I think as you've had children they assume you've got pram, cot etc but obviously with such a gap you wont have now and even if you did they would be slightly dated and not what you want for a new baby. I think its basicly tuff in thier opin ion but I dont understand why if you've never claimed it before as oddly it says about the grant 'it doesnt matter what you spend it on' whch baffles me. Obvioisly some wouldnt spend it on baby but them giving you the option is rather strange. No harm in asking them though with your situation but I'm pretty sure you wont get anywhere with them xxx

Sh*t that really does suck :( thanks for that Custard, I will have a look into it and see what happens. Our government really is screwed up! X x x

Oh am i thinking of the wrong grant! Gutted thats gone then it would have bought a lot of nappies, I wish instead of getting rid of it compleatly if they had turned it into voulchers you could only spend on baby things that would be fine by me!! My mum said to just put in for the grant the worst they can say is no lol x

and if they say no apply again when babs is born and you have applied for child benefit or child tax credits as i got told you might be eligible then if your not before

Will have to do some research! Even though were both working there's so much to buy for 2 babies I thort we would get some help! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back