goggleboxes

Hayley1608

Reaction score
Just out of interest at what age would you deem suitable for your child to have their own tv in their bedroom?
My dhs first daughters mother has asked him to buy her a tv for her second birthday... She said it was the only thing she needs... Dh doesn't agree that a tv in her bedroom is a good idea this young and worries she will be shut away

It's made me think a bit.

What do you guys think?

Too young!! I didn't have a tv in my room till I was 12 and Sophie will be the same. If she wants to get to sleep at night when she's older then I'd rather she was read to or when she can herself, that she reads :)

Thinking about it as well though, what reason would there be for her to have one at 2? Surely during the day she wouldn't be in her room anyway and at night all the children's programmes end until the morning :/! Thinking about it though there's always DVDs. Hmm :/!

wss :) i agree 2 is too young. we didnt even have a tv in the house until i was 10 :shock: imagine that now a days! we havent let hubbys kids have a tv in there room until 12, jess the eldest (14) has just got a new one to watch dvds on etc... but the youngest 2 are still not allowed them in their room (theyre 8 and 5) ru the 8 year old would just be permanently glued to his xbox otherwise, its hard enough getting him off it as it is without it being in his room as well. its a little harder when theyre with us as they all have to share a room at weekends when theyre here as our house is tiny. but we're moving soon and he still wont get a tv in his room there, no matter how much he trys to persuade lol. as it is they do sometimes sit and watch dvds together on jess's bed but dont mind this too much as shes good and doesnt let them watch anything inappropriate (harry potter is still out of bounds as littlest is only 5 bless her ad gets scared easy) but its nice for them all to sit together and watch a dvd, usually disney :) but we dont let them do it too often. i think 12 is a good age :)

I think it's quite similar to mobile phones. I again didn't get one until I started high school, don't think there's any reason really any younger than that.

I'm glad we are not the only ones who think she's too young. My friends 3 year old also has a tv in his room... I always found it boggling why a two or three year old would spend that much time in their room. Surely at that age bedrooms are only for sleeping?

Thanks for replying.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you all, 2 is too young. Our eldest will be 6 soon and I think that's too young still. One if his friends has had a tv in her room since she was small and she had a dvd on to go to sleep to every night. She will also be 6 soon and they now have awful sleep issues, not sure if the tv is to blame but I'm sure it can't have helped.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I agree its too young. Personally I won't allow phoebe to have one until her early teens as I've heard they can affect sleep patterns and routines. Plus I just think its nice to go to sleep and dream about what you've seen/done throughout the day not what youve just seen on the box. I think bedrooms should be assosiated with sleep at such a young age xx

Me and oh don't have a tv in our bedroom!! Bedroom is for sleeping and should be calm and serene!

Orlando won't get a tv in his room til he moves out lol!!

I agree too. I didn't have a tv in my room until i was 15! My niece who is 8 has had a tv in her room for a couple of years and was caught by her brother watching the inbetweeners! She also watch a dvd to go to sleep. I'm not sure when we'll allow Dylan a tv in his room but it won't be until I think he's old enough x

Don't think I will let our kids have tv's in their room til they are 15 or so..I'm going to be such a mean mummy. I agree that kids need toys and a bed in their room only as any excuse and they will have the box on 24-7!

Personally, I don't think there is any need for a child to ever have a tv in their room. Me and my brothers never did and my kids never will. How can you monitor what they are watching? But
More importantly for me - what about family Time? Or sharing the tv? Yes I may have wanted to watch something at te same time as my bro, but we compromised, shared, too turns. (not that this will be so impt now with sky plus!)

I actually find it quite sad that anyone would consider giving their two year old their own tv. That is clearly
More for the parents' benefit than the baby's. Free ad cheap
Babysitter. Kind of upsets me.

I actually find it quite sad that anyone would consider giving their two year old their own tv. That is clearly

I agree! I plan to make the most of sophies childhood and although I know at times she will drive me mad, I would never want to shut her up in her room with a tv to keep her entertained.

This is exactly what dh thinks... He really doesn't agree with it but knows that her mum will kick up a fuss if he doesn't get it

I think it's one of those things he will have to do but as long as its different when she comes to your house then that's all you can do really x

I won't allow a TV in my son's room at any age. I can remember the day my brother and I got TVs at home, I think I was probably about 11, next thing you knew we were eating dinner in our rooms etc.

More than likely the TV is to use to distract the child for a little while. If said child's mother happens to be single, there's nothing wrong with using a TV as a distraction for showers, etc, once in a while but a TV in there room is unhealthy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back