GMTV this morning.. pregnancy and work..

leckershell

Reaction score
Hi,

Was just wondering, did anyone else see GMTV this morning - there was a headline about Pregnancy and Discrimination at work.

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=26233

There was a woman on who was self employed and wouldn't employ women who were wanting to have children in the future as it would ruin her business and cost her time and money etc etc.

Just wondering really, how many of you have been blatantly discriminated against JUST because of being pregnant/being female/having children..?

My work have been fantastic (im a member of police staff) and have given me loads of time off for appointments, and a good maternity package. Though I once applied for a position in IT where I was called back and told they won't employ young women because they want to start familes and they want someone long term and reliable.

Interested in your stories.. though hope I don't stir too much here!!

michelle x

In my job when I had Josh I was the first pregnant woman they had ever had working for them (even though it was quite a big company it was also quite new)
They made a few cock ups at first like asking me to work back the time I had off for hospital appts etc and I had to get the info for them. In the end tho they weren't bad, the building I worked in was red hot and had no ventilation or even windows that opened. I fainted almost daily in my 2nd tri so they moved me to the other building across the road.

I'm TTC and I've just gone from relief manager at my job (I'm also self employed) to working permanently as asst mgr for them and still doing relief mgr. I haven't told them I'm TTC although I think the manager knows (he's a friend of ours) - I don't think the actual boss does. Although I have to say I don't think it would affect their decision but I'm not taking the chance.

If someone actually states that they won't employ you in case you go on to have children that's discrimination and I would make sure that the local press etc heard about it.

leckershell said:

There was a woman on who was self employed and wouldn't employ women who were wanting to have children in the future as it would ruin her business and cost her time and money etc etc.

Well, if that was her idea of a recruitment drive, I'd say she's failed spectacularly. Many of GMTV's viewers will be young mums thinking about going back to work and her company will be one to cross off the list!

I think she's being discriminatory and, what's more, I'm fairly sure it's illegal. And I'm shocked at this attitude coming from a woman. What will she do if she randomly falls pregnant? Not pay herself? Sack herself?

Fortunately, I think most companies have got past that rather 1950s attitude and I hope it will soon be completely eradicated.

AllieW said:
leckershell said:

Well, if that was her idea of a recruitment drive, I'd say she's failed spectacularly. Many of GMTV's viewers will be young mums thinking about going back to work and her company will be one to cross off the list!

I think she's being discriminatory and, what's more, I'm fairly sure it's illegal. And I'm shocked at this attitude coming from a woman. What will she do if she randomly falls pregnant? Not pay herself? Sack herself?

I think she said she wouldn't employ a woman looking to have a family or already pregnant, her then decide to have children but because the other woman 'selfishly beat her to it' she would find it more difficult with the level of workload in the business? Something like that. ooh it made me so angry.

My work have been fantastic (im a member of police staff)[/quote said:
Im police staff too.... and work has been fab with me too! :)

My deputy manager who was running our store at the time I was pregnant told me that the reason why he wasnt giving me extra hours was because I was pregnant. He made me stand on my feet for hours on end and wouldn't let me use the chair, he'd moan at me for going off to get a drink and he'd only let me a half hour break even on an 8 hour shift in which we are legally meant to have two 15 minute breaks and one hour for lunch

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back