Banning nativity plays

annem

Reaction score
i was really upset watching GMTV this morning. They said most schools are getting rid of traditional nativity plays. I loved doing them at school and wanted to watch my children in them one day.
Who is it banning them? is it the schools? any of your children still doing a traditional play this year?

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=27719

awww that would be a real shame and PC gone mad if you ask me :x Im not christian, but its such a lovely thing for kids to do and so christmassy, my eldest was always one of the angles and loved it!!!!

annem said:
i was really upset watching GMTV this morning. They said most schools are getting rid of traditional nativity plays.

Really?

Most of the schools around here still do them although one or two don't bother.

I'll be kicking up a fuss if I don't get to see Stanley in a Christmas play but it wouldn't have to be strictly 'nativity' as long as it contained Santa, icicles, messages of love and peace and all that stuff. :D

Like most of Britain, we're pretty secular so I'd be a bit hypocritical if I insisted on baby Jesus being wheeled on once a year when I don't even go to church.

Harrisons nativity paly is next week and although all the fuss has kicked off we have been told in a school meeting that they will not be banning them in their school, although i'm not very religious it is a COFE church of england primary school and they insisted that they would not change the nativity plays for anything.

I'm guessing some of them are just going over board and trying to make a statement.

my nephew di a version of it but the had clowns and elpahnts and cats and dogs :? the school i worked at have discussed stopping it and i dont think it will be long

Why the heck are they trying to ban them its stupid :wall:

My primary school never did them when I was at school

Its not something that bothers me tbh

awww that would be a real shame and PC gone mad if you ask me

I agree, I think its seen as too offensive to other religions now but at the same time it is called "Christ"mas for a reason.

"Christianophobia" haha, never heard of that.

PinkPunch said:
awww that would be a real shame and PC gone mad if you ask me

I agree, I think its seen as too offensive to other religions now but at the same time it is called "Christ"mas for a reason.

"Christianophobia" haha, never heard of that.

Im not particularly religious, but it annoys me when they are trying to ban anything to do with christianity because it will offend other religions. When in reality peeople from other religions arent offended and accept our religious festivals. As we do theirs! Christmas is meant to celebrate the birth of Jesus, I for one will make sure my son will grow up knowing all about the nativity and the true meaning of christmas. After all there is more to it than just presents.

:) Lella, I agree!

Would I be offended if I was in a foreign country and they were celebrating their special days? course not :?

James' school are doing a christmas show where they sing songs and stuff, but no nativity as far as I'm aware.
I'm not bothered, I don't like him having religion rammed down his throat at school. Though if there was one I wouldn't ban him from it either.
My own personal view is that school is not the place for religion, unless the kids are gonna learn about every religion and respect for others faith.

The school I work in (multi faith) and the school my daughter goes to (catholic) are both doing nativity plays of sorts (eg mary joseph) but maybe not with the carols I remember but modern versions of them. :D

I am a Catholic teacher and have taught in catholic schools as well as non-denom schools and personally feel that Christmas in schools wouldn't be the same without the Nativity as we teach other religions major festivals - put on shows, make artifacts .. so why shouldn't we teach the Christmas story in the same way. However some schools and teachers feel under pressure from the parents who are not Christian to just do 'winter' themed activities or plays as they do not want their child involved in anything Christmas related- and I am talking about stuff from Christmas wordsearches, colouring, Christmas school dinner nevermind the nativity play. So some teachers and schools feel it's easier to shy away from those things. :( It's sad really :(

Its a disgrace, what this stupid overly PC country is coming to. :evil:

annaespana1 said:
I am a Catholic teacher and have taught in catholic schools as well as non-denom schools and personally feel that Christmas in schools wouldn't be the same without the Nativity as we teach other religions major festivals - put on shows, make artifacts .. so why shouldn't we teach the Christmas story in the same way. However some schools and teachers feel under pressure from the parents who are not Christian to just do 'winter' themed activities or plays as they do not want their child involved in anything Christmas related- and I am talking about stuff from Christmas wordsearches, colouring, Christmas school dinner nevermind the nativity play. So some teachers and schools feel it's easier to shy away from those things. :( It's sad really :(

Thats the shame of it all though isnt it :x

I dont celebrate christmas as a pagan, but yuletide instead, but that still involves the decorations, the good food, gifts, spending time with your family etc, but I dont go round trying to ruin it for anyone else! I think nativity plays are lovely, and theres nothing to boost a childs confidence like being in one as its such a legend and tradition now!

Anyone who says they dont want their child involved in ANYTHING christmassy is just overly paranoid IMO, we celebrate christmas big-time in the UK, so I see no reason why that should change regardless of religious preferences.

its good to here some schools are keeping the nativity but just seems such a shame that teachers feel under pressure to change traditions. Surely just because we have different religions and cultures here does not mean we have to change traditions. As long as all religions and cultures are respected thats all that matters.

I wonder whether any teacher actually has been confronted by many angry parents about doing nativity or they are just doing it to keep on the safe side :think:

Beths not been in a nativity :cry:

Last year the school did "The Grumpy Sheep" which did have the baby jesus in. It was like this sheep who was depressed, but he went with the shepards to see the baby jesus, then he was all chuffed. So it was kinda nativity -ish? It had mary and joseph and the wise men and everything. Even though it wasnt the traditional story, it was better than nothing.

This year......a different story completely. Theyre doing "The Jolly Postman". The characters in this include :

Goldilocks
Hansel and Gretal
Gingerbread Man
Cinderella
The Spice Girls :shock:
Elvis :shock: :shock:
Red Riding Hood
A Soliciter
BRUCE FORSYTH!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nowt about jesus or anything this year then, lol,

I've been a nanny to many kids and have attended no end of Christmas plays but I've only seen one true nativity play about the birth of baby Jesus in all that time. The rest have been Christmas stories often containing no religious references or only small ones that would go over the heads of most younger chiildren.

When you think about it though, many people now do not attend Church nor are they religious, or at least not actively practising. It's hardly surprising the true nativity is being passed over for other stories. I am agnostic and certainly wouldn't mind if my own never performed it. I'm sure the story of the birth of Jesus is still told in school to young children though. They at least have an understanding of it. But like many religious events on the calender, Christmas has, for many people moved well away from its intended meaning over the years and is unrecognisable to what it used to be based around.

I think its nice for young children to perform a nativity play. 3-5 year olds love it and its a simple story to tell. But after that most kiddies never perform it again as its been done once and they do other plays each year that passes.

annem said:
its good to here some schools are keeping the nativity but just seems such a shame that teachers feel under pressure to change traditions. Surely just because we have different religions and cultures here does not mean we have to change traditions. As long as all religions and cultures are respected thats all that matters.

I wonder whether any teacher actually has been confronted by many angry parents about doing nativity or they are just doing it to keep on the safe side :think:

Yes it happens all the time- I'll give you 3 examples- A little girl in my class (y3 so 7 years old) didn't have school lunch one day as it was a Christmas dinner, she was a JWitness and she started to cry around 2 O'clock saying she was hungry- I asked her why and she told me that she couldn't have dinner cause her mum would spank her for eating it. I then got her something to eat and approached mum- mum was really angry...that we hadn't told her it was a Christmas menu and praised her daughter for doing the 'right' thing :shock:
I have had another parent take there child out of school for the whole month of Decemeber when I refused to stop doing the Christmas activities (cards, decorations, play...) It went as far as LEA but was dropped about 4/5months later- not a comfortable situation for me!
Another teacher I know in a inner-city school was told by the head after the PTA had a meeting (about 50% Muslim) that Christmas wasn't to be addressed anymore- she tried to fight the decision by writing a letter to the PTA explaining that Muslim, Jewish, Hind and Sikh feastivals were acknowleged too and as these religions are the most 'popular' throughout the world it is necessary to teach them (Christianity being the largest). The answer was still no.

So in response to your comment- it happens all the time! Sad but true

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back