Banning nativity plays

mummykay said:
I want my Jam to be in the nativity play (as Joseph of course lol :lol: ) and I bloody well wanna film it too :x

doesnt matter if he believes in any religion or not, Im his mum and I want him to be in a christmas play :shakehead: :rotfl:

We're not allowed to film our kids plays anymore either :roll:

skairdykat said:
mummykay said:
I want my Jam to be in the nativity play (as Joseph of course lol :lol: ) and I bloody well wanna film it too :x

doesnt matter if he believes in any religion or not, Im his mum and I want him to be in a christmas play :shakehead: :rotfl:

We're not allowed to film our kids plays anymore either :roll:

we werent allowed to either. In a way thats quite good because in previous years when I have went to my sisters school plays/ nativitys, its been ruined by overeager parents jockeying for position at the front and bobbing around in front of you.

Today there was no filming or photos (except at the end) and it was great. Jess was a sheep..

lou said:
I'm glad this is happening. I don't want Isaac brainwashed at school to accept the nativity story without question. If people feel that strongly about it then whats stopping them allowing their children to take part in their local churches nativity play?

Maybe because they don't go to a local church :think: :roll:

Its very hard to comment on this without being hypocritical. I celebrate christmas because it is something 'traditional' I suppose you could say but there is absolutely nothing religious about the way we celebrate it in our family!

I think the world is changing and evolving away from religion and I for one think thats a good thing :D

Sorry but I can assure you that we don't 'brainwash' children we are teaching them about cultures and faiths, trying to ensure that ignorance and intolerance of others doesn't continue to be a horrible blot on society. Schools and teachers have a hard job keeping everyone happy and in my view if a parent is so against them being part of the education system which is a prescribed curriculum by the government- then home school them or send them to a faith school.
Also when we teach the nativity story we introduce it as such- a story and ensure the children understand that 'Christians believe'... In the same way as we tell the stories of other faiths. Indoctrination may occur in a Catholic/ Christain/ Muslim/ Sikh/ Jewish/ Hidu schools but parents would choose to send them there and have their children taught in that way.

annaespana1 said:
lou said:
I'm glad this is happening. I don't want Isaac brainwashed at school to accept the nativity story without question. If people feel that strongly about it then whats stopping them allowing their children to take part in their local churches nativity play?

Its very hard to comment on this without being hypocritical. I celebrate christmas because it is something 'traditional' I suppose you could say but there is absolutely nothing religious about the way we celebrate it in our family!

I think the world is changing and evolving away from religion and I for one think thats a good thing :D

Sorry but I can assure you that we don't 'brainwash' children we are teaching them about cultures and faiths, trying to ensure that ignorance and intolerance of others doesn't continue to be a horrible blot on society. Schools and teachers have a hard job keeping everyone happy and in my view if a parent is so against them being part of the education system which is a prescribed curriculum by the government- then home school them or send them to a faith school.
Also when we teach the nativity story we introduce it as such- a story and ensure the children understand that 'Christians believe'... In the same way as we tell the stories of other faiths. Indoctrination may occur in a Catholic/ Christain/ Muslim/ Sikh/ Jewish/ Hidu schools but parents would choose to send them there and have their children taught in that way.

So what you are saying is that as a parent if I don't like the way you do things then teach my kids at home or a diferent school? surely as a parent we have a right to have a say in the curriculum and not just what our kids are taught but how they are taught it? When I was at school, it was an ordinary school, no faith or what-not, we sang religious songs at assembly, said the lords prayer and did nativity at christmas. I was part of these religious 'activities' without question. It was done as though it was the norm and not something that could be questioned. My parents were the ones who taught me to think openly.

:D

lou said:
annaespana1 said:
lou said:

So what you are saying is that as a parent if I don't like the way you do things then teach my kids at home or a diferent school? surely as a parent we have a right to have a say in the curriculum and not just what our kids are taught but how they are taught it? When I was at school, it was an ordinary school, no faith or what-not, we sang religious songs at assembly, said the lords prayer and did nativity at christmas. I was part of these religious 'activities' without question. It was done as though it was the norm and not something that could be questioned. My parents were the ones who taught me to think openly.

you can only have your say up to a point, it would be virtually impossible to accomodate everyone. What about the person who has a family in their class that believes in trolls. I think what annaespana was saying was that if you are so against the way things are done at the school then if you were not able to have your say then homeschool would be an option.

lou said:
annaespana1 said:
lou said:

you can only have your say up to a point, it would be virtually impossible to accomodate everyone. What about the person who has a family in their class that believes in trolls. I think what annaespana was saying was that if you are so against the way things are done at the school then if you were not able to have your say then homeschool would be an option.

lauramumof2 said:
lou said:
annaespana1 said:
lou said:

Yeah thats true. I was comparing things to when I was at primary school which admittedly was a very long time ago :oops: When Isaac goes to school I expect things will be very very different. :)

My friends daughters school isn't even allowed to talk about Christmas - they have to call their play the "Frost Festival", they aren't havening a Christmas fate either instead they are having a frost fare!

How silly is that!

lauramumof2 said:
lou said:
annaespana1 said:
lou said:

i meant 'you' in a general term, not directly lou.

tots hope said:
My friends daughters school isn't even allowed to talk about Christmas - they have to call their play the "Frost Festival", they aren't havening a Christmas fate either instead they are having a frost fare!

How silly is that!

thats nutty. :rotfl:

'christmas fate', hehehe,

lauramumof2 said:
lauramumof2 said:
lou said:
annaespana1 said:
lou said:

i meant 'you' in a general term, not directly lou.

ok cool :D btw who believes in trolls? :think: :lol:

the UK is getting too much like the USA.. there u are not allowed christmas trees in schools.. and not allowed to say Happy Christmas... have to say Happy holidays..... its so wrong

bollocks isn't it.. i'm sorry but other we celebrate other cultures festivals and I'm sure they dont mind celebrating the Christian festival. In fact I read something which was posted on here, a link.. equal opportunity guy was campaigning with multi cultural people to stop all this nonsense.

TBH i think anyone trying to ban Christmas celebrations for what they are should be bloody well arrested. Cos If I was to go around trying to stop a celebration of some other faith I'd be done for it without a second thought. :shakehead:

Arghhh show me these people I wanna hit them with a spatula :evil:

mummykay said:
slightly off topic but read this:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/ho mepage/news/article567978.ece

worlds gone mad :roll:

:x mad isn't it.

Banning xmas cards incase one billy-no-mates feels left out and sad???? Im sorry but thats way OTT.

School isnt just about learning academically, you also learn social skills, and I know being a kid with no mates isnt a nice thing for any kid, but it teaches you something. I know it did me....I was a loner who was bullied and had no mates at school until I got in with the bullies and became one myself....for a while anyway until I realised id rather have no friends then lower myself to be one of them. That was a valuable lesson for me.

Kids have to learn some stuff the hard way, and if they are cushioned through school will they be capable, socially adequate adults? :think:

Well that's truly sad...

I was an "odd" child... and most kids were afraid of me so I never had many friends. But my difference is what set me aside from the others and defined my personality today... now I revel in my difference. :) I now look at xmas cards and think, what a waste of a tree :roll:

As for Nativity plays... I personally don't think they should have them in school... mainly because I don't believe that religion of any kind should be taught in schools. I think religious education is the sole responsibility of the parent or the parent can choose to send their kid to a school that specifically represents a religion, like Catholic school for example..

Only Catholic Religion is taught in schools in our area... But I have chosen to have DD removed from these lessons... When she is at secondary school she will have the option to have citizen and moral guidance lessons. Which I think are more appropriate in this day and age with the over ambivalence of religious hatred going on in the world.

However, they do have a "Christmas" festival... Spaniards love their Fiestas and well they wouldn't give up an excuse for a day off work with good food, family and plenty of partying just because a particular religious group is offended.... Tbh, these fiestas, although based on Catholic religion, you will see people of all nationalities and religions attending the festivities, because people are just there to have fun with each other... and that's the way it should be. The kids too... they have their party for Christmas which coincides with the end of year but the actual celebrations have nothing to do with religion, which is so much fun.

lou said:

mary70 said:
i can tell u that christmas does cause trouble in school, we now have to have a class of children that are not allowed to take part, and this is not all ethnic, we have one family that belive in trolls (i am serious) and there children are not allowed to take part and as the other lady said we do have lots of children kept of school in the run up to christmas. I find the hard part is explaining to a 3/4/5 year old why they cant take part in all these fun thing it breaks my heart

These were the folk that beleived in troll. Not mary70 (i think :wink: )

lauramumof2 said:
lou said:

mary70 said:
i can tell u that christmas does cause trouble in school, we now have to have a class of children that are not allowed to take part, and this is not all ethnic, we have one family that belive in trolls (i am serious) and there children are not allowed to take part and as the other lady said we do have lots of children kept of school in the run up to christmas. I find the hard part is explaining to a 3/4/5 year old why they cant take part in all these fun thing it breaks my heart

These were the folk that beleived in troll. Not mary70 (i think :wink: )

The words social and services spring to mind :roll: Are they mad? :shock:

When you say they believed in trolls,is that in the wee plastic thingys with the hair that you buy?

I'm intrigued

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back