Glucose Tolerance Test/Gestational Diabetes

BabyFrog

Reaction score
Hello!

I had my 31 week midwife appointment today, and I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead on my fundal height (I measured 3 weeks ahead at my 28 week appointment too) and I had ketones in my urine, although they didn't say how many.

I need to have a glucose tolerance test, but it's not booked in until next Thursday...

I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and what the outcome was? Or does anyone have GD?

I've tried looking online but I didn't think there was much info available!

Thanks

Last edited:
hey Hun my baby was measuring on the 97th percentile and my dad as diabetes so had to have the GTT test, I was told that the results were in normal limits. Someone I was talking to at the hospital had GD and they gave her extra growth scans a diet and induced her at 38weeks so baby didn't get too big. X

My twins were in 97th and 88th percentiles on growth scan a few weeks ago so they got me to do GTT last week and it came back ok.

Don't quote me on this, but my partner's cousin's SIL had GD and apparently she needed to inject insulin and watch her diet and extra monitoring with it. Sometimes they will deliver a bit earlier if they are concerned. It went away after baby was born. xxx

P.S. Fundal height isn't that good a measure of what's in there though, so try not to fret too much as you'll be absolutely fine, even if you do have GD xxx

Last edited:
Thanks girls, that's reassuring. I don't mind if I have to inject or change my diet, as long as baby is okay!

I carry my weight on my stomach normally, so I wasn't surprised the fundal height was high, but the ketones was a surprise. I'd had a massive jacket potato for lunch so definitely not low carb related! Xxx

Good luck with the test! It's not bad at all, just lots of hanging around (expect to be there for 2 and a bit hours from the time first blood is taken) and you have to drink a bottle of yucky lucozade xx

I live really close so I can go home in between I hope!

I haven't been able to stomach lucozade since a very bad handover in the mid 00's, so I hope I don't vomit on the nurse ha ha. Xxx

Aw god haha! They ask you to drink it fast so take it easy. I thought I was going to chuck mine back up too, it was the first time I've ever had it and I think everyone has a sensitive stomach after 10 hours fasting, so it's not the best. xx

Annoyingly, you aren't allowed to leave the waiting room sorry! You have to stay in case you have a funny turn etc as you can't eat before hand and if you are diabetic then there is a chance you could have a hypo. Take a good book - I took the Unmummsy Mum with me and it made time go very quick xxxxx

I've just called to check and the receptionist said I can leave. I'm not 100% sure I believe her though!

I'll take a book just in case... xxx

I have measured 2-3 weeks ahead on fundal height too, although this is not a super accurate measure as they can't tell how much is baby and how much is fluid. Think about it, you could have a huge uterus with tons of fluid and a tiny baby or a huge uterus with a massive baby and little water.

I was measured 2-3 weeks ahead on fundal height on 2 occasions and have had a private scan a 30 weeks estimating baby's weight as 3lb 3oz at 30 weeks ( which is spot on average)

I have also only gained 10.5lb in total weight from my pre pregnancy weight ! That was at 34 weeks so I'm now 36 weeks.

I had to have gt test because I have a bmi of 36 , :( the shame of being fat .... But passed it no issues - although it made me feel very very ill an dizzy .

You have to starve all night as then they fill u full of this sugar loaded drink !! The sudden sugar rush may make you feel faint or Ill.

Just because your measuring ahead it doesn't garuntee your baby is huge or that u have gt.

I passed the gt test & meauring ahead , but because I passed gt test they didn't bother to offer a growth scan .....

It's all precautionary .... If you have a positive result they will probs do some growth scans to ensure baby doesn't get too big to deliver naturally ..

My sis didn't have gt though and her last baby was a whopper at 10lb 1oz - 2 weeks early !!!!!!!

Thanks Aries. Hopefully all will be fine. 10lb is a whopper, does that make you panic slightly? Ha ha xxx

Hey babyfrog, I had a scan wednesday at 36+2 and even though my bumps measuring on the 40th centile, the scan showed baby's on the 95th centile at 7lb2oz!! So I'm having a GTT tomorrow morning. I'm not allowed to eat or drink after midnight until after the test (not that bad!) and they say they'll have results by Saturday eve/Sunday! But do have to stay in the waiting room for 2 hours so taking a puzzler :)

I have a friend with GD and she has to check her blood sugar 3 times a day and manages by diet...she'll have more growth scans throughout pregnancy and is being induced at 38 weeks :) Let us know how you get on chick xx

Will do!

I've got a feeling I'm going to have to stay at the docs and the receptionist has got it wrong...!

Fingers crossed for you, let me know how you get on as well xxx

My last babe was 8lb 5oz 10 years ago ... Aged 20. I put about 25lb on with that baby , so far I've only gained half that with just 26 days left :) so I'm hoping 8lb or there abou this time. My sisters boys have both been on the bigger side -

Her first was 8lb 6oz at 3 weeks early
My first was 8lb 5oz at 1 week late ! ( so 4 weeks between their gestational ages)

Her 2nd bit was 10lb 1oz and he was 2-3 weeks early too ( sea gets induced coz her baby's are big!)

I'm not worried too much about my little bundle this time - he doesn't feel really big - although i suspect he does have long legs like his daddy !

I'm sure he's just perfect :) Good luck with the birth! I think my baby has long legs too. Not sure why, I've just got a feeling! Xxx

I had gestational diabetes. There's a great website and Facebook page ....... Gestational Diabetes UK. I followed their diet and advice and managed to stay diet controlled. My baby had a steady growth (had fortnightly growth scans) and his blood sugars were fine after birth.
There was a thread for GD support if you want to have a read through that to see how we got on, I've bumped it for you xx

I had mine about 5 weeks ago, I had to stay for the duration of the test ended up chatting to a couple of other mums to be and time passed fairly quickly, luckily I don't have it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back