Front seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyChic

Reaction score
Omg I nearly punched the lady in m&p saying we can't put our baby in the front seat. We have two dogs which sit in the back and plus I don't like the fact of my baby being in the back and not being able to see her.

We do have front passenger air bags but was just gonna trun them off, as doesn't effect my one. I won't be doing much driving anyway as cab walk most places. But she just really pissed me off and made my blood boil I'm so glad it was my oh talking to her.

Xx

It's the statistics for accident & injury that make the advice not to put them in the front...so not Mamas and Papas specific and not only relating to air bag impact. Also, the seat is safest on the side behind the passenger seat and not the drivers (nobody should be overtaking on that side and oncoming traffic isn't passing on that side either).
Our 2 dogs had to learn to be in the back of the car when our 1st came along and it was fine. We have a harness for 1 of them and it just got moved to the back with her.
You can also get extra little mirrors that suck on the windscreen so that you can glance at your little one, but even then it's easy to think you want to be "with" your baby when driving, when actually no matter what happens you just have to drive and pull over if there's a reason to.
Plenty of times my little guy cried or threw up everywhere and he just had to hear me talking to him calmly until it was safe to pull over and deal with it.

Mamas and papas are advising you because they have a duty of care- where you put your baby is upto you but you can't knock a retailer for trying to help and slating them for showing the slight bit of interest in your babies safety.

If the shoe was on the other foot and they advised you wrong but you followed- something happened and you were told the safest seat in the car your baby should be in wasn't the one you had put him/her in - I'm sure you'd have something to say to them

When it comes to safety the car manufacturers and manufacturers of car seats know what they are talking about- they spend millions on investigations and testing

I say well done mamas and papas for advising their customers rather than just takin the money and calling 'next please'

You feel like punching someone in the face for giving correct, well meaning safety advice?!

You don't have to take the standard safety advice. You are free to do what you like with your baby. Don't get worked up over it though - life's too short. As with all advice, take what you want and ignore the rest.

Last edited:
You feel like punching someone in the face for giving correct, well meaning safety advice?!

You don't have to take the standard safety advice. You are free to do what you like with your baby. Don't get worked up over it though - life's too short. As with all advice, take what you want and ignore the rest.

Wss x

I'm sorry Hun but I agree with the others, the safety instructions are there for a reason and the shop are duty bound to point these out in case you were unaware of them! It's not just the air ag issue, its things such as if you had a crash then the windscreen is likely to shatter all over the front and the impact is greater! If a car goes into the back of you most cars have more things such as the boot to help break the impact before hitting the seats! I agree in an ideal world that the safest place would be next to you so that you could fully see them however at the moment the back is the safest xx

Agree with everyone above, I wouldn't want baby in the front seat. I don't know why but I've always thought they'd be safer in the back.

I'm not saying the advice she gave was wrong it was the way she was saying it, and did say some facts that were wrong. That's what made me angry. I'm not saying it's not the safest place for her to be, but we have two dogs that sit in the back so if I put her in the back where do the dogs go? This was the point we told her and she was just so rude about it. My oh was just saying a simple question about the isofix seats. Sorry for voicing my opinon.

well now the storey has changed

Not once did you mention at the start she had been giving you incorrect facts and spoke to you in a tone? though non the wiser as to what these are- your entitled to your opinion like everyone else- it's just they don't agree with yours that's all

The aggression to want to punch her when you Wernt even talking to her directly just seems alittle excessive and doesn't help others understand why you need to be like that- to someone who has been giving you safety advice

Lol sorry was cross when started the thread. It was her tone that was making my angry not what she was saying. Talking to us like we were thick and shouldn't be having a baby if asking questions like that. I was with my oh but he was doing the talking

i know what you mean- but if you dont tell the whole sotorey or the reasons behind being angry ( ie the way she was talking to you ) people get the wrong impression. Its hard to judge over text typing what someone means !

im sure everyone on here aswell as the women in the shop just wants to let you know whats best for baby thats all.

Hmmm... I think some of the responses here might have been a bit harsh.
I understood the point of ur post and as a sufferer of pregnancy rage I know how easy it is to get worked up at people talking to u like u dont know wat ur doing.
Hope uv managed to calm down lol x

Tapatalking :)

A fireman friend advised my SIL that after the horrors he's seen at the scenes of car accidents with babies and children in the front seats he would never let anyone under 12 sit in the front of the car.

It's annoying if that's what you had planned but maybe in the future of you change cars go for an estate so the dogs could go in the boot?

Just another thought, where will your OH sit if you all go out together?

I was wondering where your OH would sit too. Could baby go facing forward behind passenger seat so you can see her easily in mirror? Also, does your car not have a boot? Can your dogs be left at home at all? My dog hates going in the boot and always jumps over but we'll be swapping cars before the baby is born so will be getting a dog guard for the boot!

I can only say that the recommendation is to put baby in the back, it's not law! Like much of the advice given by professionals are best practice ideal guidelines not law and we have to make judgements as adults and parents on what is best for our children in our situations. I agree the responses did come across a little harsh and maybe we should ask posters to clarify what they mean if it sounds a bit odd to us, especially in a ranty type post rather than taking it at face value.

i never knew they were allowed in the front! x

My OH sits in the back when we have the dogs. When we go to my mums for dinner we take the dogs as we are there for awhile so leaving the dogs at home is not really an option. As my mum would kill me too lol dogs won't stay in the boot cause they like to look out of the window. Its only for when she is younger I just wanted her in the front, as I trust my dogs but I'm not taking any chances, but to be honest we don't go far with the dogs by myself if at all and like I said I'm gonna try and walk everywhere anyway was just annoyed with the way she spoke to us.

I've calmed down now and see her point of view kinda but we are just going to halfords for advice as we not happy with the way she spoke to us.

Stick the dogs in the boot and get one of those guards to prevent them jumping into the back maybe ?

Please do your research into infant car seats, the safest option is always rear facing for as long as possible behind the passenger seat.

It's your personal choice but personally I would follow all safety advice given. I've been in 2 car accidents in the past 18 months and I would not risk having babies in the front. Even if airbag is switched off it can still deploy following an accident. I personally wouldn't take the risk. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back