for those who make bottles fresh x

ozzy

Reaction score
ive been making bottles up fresh for the last couple of weeks which so far has been fine apart from the night feeds. just wondered do u leave the kettle to cool for 30 mins ? i dont understand why , is it for safety reasons so you dont scald yourself and baby.? its geting hard having baby scream for 30 mins at 3 in the morning.i was thinking i could leave kettle for 15 mins and then just cool bottle in cold water straight away then feed.does anyone do this ? :think:

It says to leave it for the risk of scalding but i've never worked out if the risk is to you, baby or the milk :think: If I have ever needed a bottle there and then I have used the water after 15 mins and cooled by standing the bottle in cold water :) alternatively you could get the ready made cartons for night feeds? :hug:

yeh i just cool it down in cold water i dont wait.

xxxxx

great thanks. ill still make fresh in the night . i just wont leave kettle for 30 mins.15 mins max . :D

Hi,

I used to cool the bottle in cold water rather than wait for the boiled water to cool but now I found an easier way for night time feeds which take a few mins.

I boil water just before i go to bed and put 3oz in a sterilized bottle and the rest of the boiled water in a Thermos and when my LO wakes for a feed I add the 2oz of boiled water from the Thermos together with the formula which I already have measured in a small container.

This way I'm making a fresh feed and it only takes a few mins.

Can I ask why you make each one up fresh?
I always used to boil the kettle, put the cooled boiled water into 6 bottles which would then last the day and the add the milk and heat them up as and when they were needed.

i make the bottles up fresh as its says on the cow and gate formula instructions. apparantly there are new guidlines which have been around for about 1 1/2 years which advise not to store bottles in the fridge cos of bacteria growing. personally i am going to make up fresh until baby is around 6 weeks old and then store overnight feeds in the fridge. xx

I've always boiled the kettle with fresh water before bed, then use some of that mixed with freshly boiled hot water, mix with formula, and serve (unless it needs cooling a minute, but after a while you get the temp's just right anyways so its mixed perfectly and ready to serve :wink: ) To those who wait 30mins everynight, you're stronger than me, do you wear earmuffs? :shock: :hug: :hug: :hug:

If you sterilize a bottle and then put it together and put it in the fridge, it will remain sterile for 24hrs, it is ONLY when water and formula mix that the 1hr time limit comes into play as that's when bacteria can form. That's my knowledge on the bottle, sterilize, leaving it issue :lol:

ozzy said:
i make the bottles up fresh as its says on the cow and gate formula instructions. apparantly there are new guidlines which have been around for about 1 1/2 years which advise not to store bottles in the fridge cos of bacteria growing. personally i am going to make up fresh until baby is around 6 weeks old and then store overnight feeds in the fridge. xx

Yeah I was told about them guidelines too, but I was told you cannot make the formula in the bottles but it is ok to make all the bottles up with cool boiled water and put them in the fridge and then add the formula when you come to use that bottle. I know its up to you but personally I wouldn't worry too much about guidelines etc... My Mum used to make the formula up the night before when I was a baby and I turned out ok! They're always coming up with new things that we must/mustn't do.

hi. what i do is put some cooled boiled water in a bottle then when grace wakes top it up with boiled water so the temp is just right then add powder. this has always worked well for us.

Certain formulas require the water to be really hot though to kill the starch in them; I definatly know both the easy digest from cow and gate and aptamil require this.

also the formula isnt sterile and need to be mixed with water hotter then 70 degrees to kill any bacteria alreay present.

If im giving harriet some formula i mix the formula with freshly boiled water and then put in a bowl of icey cold water to bring to temp she likes. only takes a few mins.

Princess_Puddles said:
Can I ask why you make each one up fresh?
I always used to boil the kettle, put the cooled boiled water into 6 bottles which would then last the day and the add the milk and heat them up as and when they were needed.

My midwife and health visitor said its fine to do this and you can keep the water in the fridge for 24 hrs. This is great for night feeds.
Going out is a bit more difficult so we use ready made cartons.

We make our feeds fresh and at night we take a flask of boiled water upstairs (it will have been left to cool in the kettle for half an hour) then we make the feeds when we need them and cool to the right temp in a jug of cold water. I do this when I go out too.

If I need a feed quickly during the day, I cool the boiled water slightly in a jug of cold water before adding the formula then I don't scald myself! Speaking from experience there :roll:

I always make a few bottles up as OH gets sent down in the cold to prepare the bottle :rotfl:

....Was just gonna add that if you put freshly boiled water into bottle then put in a pan with ice cubes and water it takes approx 5 mins to cool to normal temp, then just re-check the volume (to allow for any loss from steam) top up with a bit more boiled water and bobs your uncle!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back