Help! New Mum!

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
I think that the best way to do it is to sterilise your bottles whilst boiling the kettle. Then when the kettle is boiled let it cool for the maximum
time of 30 mins before making up enough bottles for 24 hours with the milk aswell. Then put all the bottles in to a bowl of cold water for about 20 mins to cool them down and then store them in the fridge. When you need one just stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds (shake it well after to get rid of hot spots and check the temperature) or put it in a bowl of boiling water to heat it up. The other way to do it is to make up the bottles with boiling water and let them cool(no need to refridgerate just water). When you need them heat them up and then add the milk. If you make them with just water heat them up before adding the milk. The formula isn't sterile so it needs to be added to boiling water to kill any germs especially whilst your baby is newborn.

If we make a bottle from fresh and it needs cooling down we put it straight into a tub of cold water, dont wait for it to cool for 30 minutes. You might have to change the water a couple of times though cause the hot water will warm the cold water.

THIS BOOK recommends to make up 24 hours worth of feeds by putting just boiled water into your sterilised bottle and adding the formula, then putting it straight into the frigde. We put the just boiled water in the bottles and put them in the frigde, then we add the formula when Jake is about to feed, but it needs a very hard shake that way though.

i always sterilised.. put water in.. left lids in steriliser and left bottles to cook on the side.. had breakfast.. shower etc.. then came bk washed up.. put milk into bottles then fridge...

CalamityGem said:
natalie&jake said:
THIS BOOK recommends to make up 24 hours worth of feeds by putting just boiled water into your sterilised bottle and adding the formula, then putting it straight into the frigde. We put the just boiled water in the bottles and put them in the frigde, then we add the formula when Jake is about to feed, but it needs a very hard shake that way though.

Thanks! Do u warm the water before you put the formula in or after?

According to the book there is no harm done if you give them the chilled milk, its just whether they want to take it chilled or not. Alternatively you can warm it by sitting the bottle in a bowl with boiled water. Jake has it straight from the fridge though.

We make a few bottles at a time and leave them on the side and put the formula in as needed and more often than not he has his milk cool or at room temperature, he only has warm milk if they have just been made.

You can warm them up before or after you put the formula in but it desolves quicker in the warm water.

I read somewhere that making up feeds in advance can mean that this gives bacteria a chance to breed, even if it's stored in the fridge. Also, apparently, the water that is added to the powder should be no lower than 70C temperature as this can help destroy any bacteria (as milk powder is not sterile).

Therefore, what I do is to keep boiled water in a vacuum flask. This way the water isn't boiling hot, but still at a hot temperature. I add this to bottles that I have previously sterilised and have stored empty in the fridge (for up to 24 hours). Then once I've made up a feed, I change the water in the vacuum flask ready for the next feed. By doing it this way, I find I can make up a feed as soon as my LO is hungry, and it doesn't take too long to cool to drinkable temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back