For those that are breastfeeding (sorry for the questions)

flexilexi394

Reaction score
How soon after did you feel confident about leaving the house with baby and feeding? I'm a very out and about person and like to have Te freedom of just being able to pop out (I'm determined I will be able to do this with baby as i know some people who just wont take their little ones out)

I have 2 friends that are both due in the next 2 months and at the moment we regularly meet up for shopping and town an lunch and stuff, and I'd like to keep doing this, so is it easy to just feed wen we are sitting in a cafe or wherever? I like that I don't have to faff with bottles (I'm really really hopin to breastfeed lol) and think that it's so much easier to just use your body. I guess I'll just ave to plan eat to wear so it's suitable for being out an about?

Anyone that does this please let me know what its like etc, that would be greatly appreciated! X

if im out i just stick a scarf around me that covers him n my boob. i do it where ever iam if hes hungry x

And you'll soon find that clothes shopping consists of "hmm open neckline, zipped front, buttoned front... that'll do" lol. And like Isobel says, a scarf covers everything pretty much (except I'm very clumsy lol.

At new year, I was at my granny's and the whole family was there. I fed Oscar about 6 times and nobody even noticed except once (you can tell cos they're trying so hard to look like they're not noticing ha ha.

It's so nerve wracking to go out in public at first. I was so nervous with my first that I started her on bottles which I really regret. If you're with your friends then you have moral support and babies seem to sleep all the time when you're out and about, and wake all the time at home xx

I waited a few weeks but that's because I had a c section. There are places where I go shopping with special rooms, such as mothercare and boots. I looked around for places before I gave birth so I was confident while out. I do it in most places now and it's pretty discrete with v neck jumpers, t shirts etc.

You'll be just fine, keep these confident thoughts going! X

I've fed out in public twice now - once in the sunshine outside a country pub at the end of a walk with my family where I used my sling to cover us and yesterday in a very busy cafe in town with my mum where I used a pashmina to cover George and me - felt fine doing it but really had to wait until 4 weeks until George and I had the hang of breastfeeding enough to do it out and about.
I've been wearing things that zip or button at the front or two layers - one to pull down and one to pull up - once baby is on though there really isnt much for anyone to see.

Thanks guys, that's a great help to me as I soo wanna do this. Lol. Yeah I forgot mothercare has a feeding room thing, that's helpful, and I guess if I'm sat down somewhere I can just so it as well. X

I fed her in tescos before new year, so a couple weeks old. They had a room heh.. but totally paniced when she started crying cause I didnt know! Was fine though.. Only problem I had was positioning her.. she aint a little baby and I didnt have my trusty feeding pillow to support her!

I like to say im confident enough to feed her anywhere.. but if there is family around i feel more uncomfortable, I dont mind immediate family.. but for instance im staying with my cousins in a few weeks and wouldnt want to feed infront of them..

Yeah I think if I'm around family I'm just going to go in another room because it's a bit wired isn't it. I go out with a couple of friends once a week and just wondered if that's ok to feed while I'm with them or whatever, I wish it wasn't seen as wired with some people because I think I'm more worried about others think than me actually doing it! X

You'll get used to it within a few weeks then it will become second nature. I feed Matt anywhere, its handy to have a muslin or blanket for extra privacy xx

Thanks! MIL has apparently bought me a breastfeeding apron. She's just told me, so I guess that will become useful! X

Ooh let me know how you get on with that lexi! I will feed in front of anyone, but it does make me laugh when people try really hard to not look in that area, if you're talking to them you suddenly get 100% eye contact! My little brother got suddenly super-absorbed in the news on TV when I started feeding the other day :)

I'll feed Cahal wherever we are when he's hungry, it doesn't bother me if people see, to be honest I'm more absorbed in how he's doing to even notice other people lol! A good place to practice if you have one is your local baby cafe - you can get advice as well as feed in a room full of other feeding mummies, it's very good for your confidence plus if you become a regular you make some friends as well!

great guys, at least i know its doable! lol. i cant wait to be breastfeeding, and i thought to myself "i could just express for during the day" but thats more hassle than just whacking out a boob isnt it!

becky i really am intreigued about the apron thingy, will defo let you know how it goes x

I fed Toby out at 6 days old, we had gone to ikea as I knew they are bf friendly, but he slept round ikea so we ended up at Costa. Mum bought me a shawl but tbh it was just something else to get in the way :lol:

I did go to our local baby cafe at 4 days and fed there, I wouyld highly recommend finding a local one as that helped me get my confidence

Also we were out and about all over while DHwas on leave, he just used to stand or sit strategically as i got toby on and off. Have to say though that Costa and Pizza Express are both really good, Costa cos it is dimly lit and ours have lots of nooks, Pizza express are really really bf friendly. Also any local little home run cafes have always been really accomadating, (although they generally have pokey toilets that dont make nappy changing the easiest :lol:

Thanks! Yeah its probably nice when you feel it is actually welcome in a public place. Know what you mean about baby change facilities though! I've been making a Mental note of facilities and some places are a bit rubbish really! X

Marks and Spencer cafes are good but I have also been making use of proper breastfeeding rooms in the department stores. I never knew these existed until I had the baby. Worth scoping out any potential ones. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back