First home needs kitting out - HELP!!!

mummykay

Reaction score
As u all no we r in the process of getting our own place and other than a cot, a bed, computer unit and chest of drawers, we have nothin lol!!! :oops: :lol:

i know to look in argos, ikea and comet but where do u ladies look for nice homey stuff and how do u know when to stop???

thanks for any links or comments in advance!! :D

when we moved i to our house hun we just got what anyone had spare and replaced it bit by bit when we could afford it, freecycle might be a good place to start if your not wanting new

Wilkinsons is great and cheap. They were selling a dinner service for £5 today! Might not be your first choice but will do for starters.

Ask around. I found people LOVE helping young couples set up in their first home and we replace things so often nowadays I bet friends and family will help you out.

I'd make a list room by room of what you'll need, essential and desirable.......for example

Kitchen

White goods if not provided (fridge, freezer, oven, washing machine etc)
Kettle
toaster
microwave
plates/bowls etc (4+)
mugs (4+)
glasses (6+)
saucepans (3+)
cutlery
oven to tableware
chopping boards
trays
colander

etc,etc,etc :lol:

the fridge, cooker and washin machine r in there already, will b replacing those cos they look medieval lol

got to measure up for a dining table and wardrobes, Jam has fitted wardrobes so hes ok, just needs chest of drawers i think

god minxy, iv filled nearly half a notepad of things we need lol, mind u its not come to a grand yet which is surprising!! will def pop to wilkinsons for a looky too!!

can u tell im overwhelmed lol :oops: :lol:

When i first moved into my flat i went to marks and spencer they do there own brand stuff on saucepans and stuff and most things are £9.50 ... which i thought was great.

Tesco's do some nice things too :D

Aw, don't worry, it's exciting!

Woolworths is good too :D

You will forget things, but the beauty of our 24 hour society is that you're never more than 15 mins away from a tin-opener should it be an emergency :lol:

Don't forget Primark for towels, little decorative bits (e.g mirrors etc) bedding cushions and thorws - again cheap but good to start with.

And ebay :D If you have transport excellent for larger items locally

very true!!

have just been on the boots website and u get points for buyin their kitchen stuff lol!! excellent!! :lol:

supermarkets usually sell their own brand items e.g. keetles, toasters
and primark is good for towels etc. like libs said

auctions are good for furniture too

think i got most of my kitchen stuff from asda ( brought bits for weeks durring food shopping while still at parents)

bedroom furniture has been a mixture of argos and b&Q but the stuff matches lol

sofa got in a mega sale , ORDER EARLY ! it took nearly 3 months for delivery and by then we had already moved in :roll:

and then homely bits from ikea , plus a coffee table and odd bits inc candles

bed linen and curtains i got from somewhere else and i can reember then name :wall:

garden stuff also from B&Q and argos

when we got married all we asked for was argos vouchers so we could use or save for bigger purchases like tv / stereo !

were hopefully moving to a house soon out of our flat , hopen i dont need anything extra lmao altho may get a spare bed / futon type thing !

oooo how exciting, like you, im getting all my stuff ready for when i move in :D Iv been getting bits n bobs since christmas, so got some good deals in the sales and a friend gave a brand new sofa that she never used n she was gunna throw it out so said i could have it. Also Ikea is great, tesco,asda etc are good too :D

ASDA is brilliant...so cheap but looks good. They sell furnishings for most rooms and sell electrical stuff and kitchenware too. We have got loads from ASDA.

When looking for a sofa it is worth seeing if they have a clearance room (usually out the back of the store). It is where they sell sofas that have been returned for some reason, maybe it is too big or their is a minor fault. You can get amazing deals and they are ready to be deleviered immediately. We went to DFS and got £2500 worth of furniture for just £800 and it was delivered 5 days later. It was returned because it was too big for the house it was ordered for.

OMG I ALMOST FORGOT - I LOVE TKMAXX!!!!

erm the places that are good for stuff is:

Matalan
Ikea..
Argos..
poundstretcher (instore)

cant think of any more of the top of my head, but ill have a think on for ya

au natural? That has nice housey stuff for much cheapness, they do nice canvas art as well for your kitchen and stuff, baskety things and bathroom stuff and kitchen china, everything really. I think it is a part of the shop international?

missac said:
au natural? That has nice housey stuff for much cheapness, they do nice canvas art as well for your kitchen and stuff, baskety things and bathroom stuff and kitchen china, everything really. I think it is a part of the shop international?

god i love that place, defo go there... bargain stuff and its proper nice!!!

cant believe i forgot it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back