Finger Foods

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

I've been talking to kina about finger foods because Isaac ate lumps today so I gave him some banana but he didnt eat it. Tonight I read this on babyworld....

Finger Foods

By around 7 to 9 months you can introduce finger foods. Your baby may find it easier to pick up food with his fingers than use a spoon at this stage. These finger foods can be made out of anything that’s not too sloppy to cut. Here are some ideas:

Slices of bread or toast. Press the bread firmly with a rolling pin before toasting or cutting into fingers to make sure that no crumbs or lumps will fall off
Strips of pitta bread, nan or chappati
Fingers of pizza
Cubes of cheese, or a pile of finely grated cheese
Peas
Cooked pasta in sizes and shapes your baby can pick up
Cooked vegetables
Chunks of dessert apple or finely grated apple
Slices of carrot, celery, cucumber
Tiny sandwiches with fruit or savoury filling
Note: you should always stay with your baby when he’s feeding himself in case he chokes. Usually, babies will cough or spit food out if they cannot swallow it. Occasionally you may have to pat him on the back or put your finger in his mouth to remove a piece of food.

It says 7-9 months so I'm confused.

I'm going to wait a while I think :think:

Lou :?

The new guidelines are to wean your baby at 6 months and go straight to finger foods. That's what my HV told me. Rubie wont eat off a spoon, will only eat finger foods.

Don't worry he will be fine!!!

these are just general guides. Seren ate pitta bread last week, and I started giving her finger foods at 5 months. Do what you feel is right, after all you know your baby but I would say the fact he didn't east the banana shows he is not ready to move it to the back of his mouth, and he will only try to swallow it when he is.

I believe I started giving Ava such fingerfoods from 9 months old and she did great. From 6 months old she was having things like biter biscuits, cheerios, and shredded cheese.

I was amazed how well Noah fed himself when I started giving him finger foods. I gave him his dinner as usual, but when we sat at the table to eat ours, I stuck him in his high chair at the table with us and gave him some bits and pieces and he sat there stuffing it in his mouth. So now he always has a proper dinner with us. Last night we had a roast and he had bits of chicken, sausage, stuffing, roast potatos and carrots and brocolli. Its good cause it teaches them that eating is a social thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back