Feezing sperm?

rea2012

Reaction score
Hi girls,
have any of your partners stored frozen sperm? At our last apt the consultant said she'd strongly recommend we do as my OH had an op on his bits when he was a lad due to undecended testes and the consultant said his count is highly likely to drop considerably over time.
Just wondered if any of your OH's have had similar suggestions?? thanks xx

My husband has some frozen because they weren't sure they'd have enough in his fresh sample to work with so we got some on standby which they didn't end up using.

A consultant did suggest it was a good idea to have some frozen anyway because the reason for his poor fertility is unknown so maybe one day it will just disappear altogether.

I don't feel particularly reassured by having some on ice because with ICSI they only need several sperm cells anyway and I think it's very rare indeed to literally have no sperm available at all. They can surgically extract it too.

Plus, if you are having cycles of IVF they will be able to comment on the current analysis of the sperm so you should get some warning and they wouldn't use it over using fresh stuff when you had treatment anyway. Chances are it would just sit there.

It's really upto you. I'd probably only go out of my way to have it done if you'd actually witnessed some concerning decline, but then again it is only a sample in a cup so easy to get done if you would feel comforted by it being there xx

Thanks Louise. I suppose it's quite cautious of them and us if we do it... I was wondering how things were for others as his count has actually improved a bit over the past 12 months and we were concerned they might be trying to unnerve us a bit as our current ICSI is on NHS but it would cost us to have the sample frozen (about £400 then £100 per year after that) (i'm being pretty cynical I know...!?)
I suppose even if they are being a bit scaremongering (spelling?!) it would give us peace of mind if there was a pot in reserve... Cheers for your help Lou xx :)

Shop around, £400 + £100 annually sounds a lot :shock:

At my clinic it was £400 but you got 3 years thrown in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back