****February 2016 Mammas****

Sounds brilliant cocosherbie- I need to go to a breastfeeding class as don't have a clue! I also know nothing about hypnobirthing so should look into that. I've been to a home birth class though and that was really interesting- I'm very tempted to give it a go. Is anyone else having a home birth? This is my first baby but I feel quite calm about the birth and like the idea of being at home. Pumpkin I haven't really done any baby prep yet either- hoping that's ok as we still have plenty of time. I'm planning to wait for the January sales before buying much more. Hope I'm not being stupid to leave it that late!

Hi Ruby,
I live in the Netherlands and we have here the highest rate of home births in the Western world. Something like 30% of women give birth at home here - its completely supported and encouraged. In fact, most basic insurances wont even cover a hospital birth unless you have a medical reason for it.

At first I thought, never in a million years would I consider a home birth, hospital all the way, but now, Im actually not so sure. The process here is that your midwife will come to your house at the beginning of your labour to assess how far along you are (they will normally get you to stay at home until you are quite far along), at which point you make your way to the hospital.

The good news is you can decide on the day what you want to do, you can just decide to stay home if you like.

A good happy medium option Im considering is a birth centre - they have birth centres here in Amsterdam that are like hotel rooms and are adjacent to hospitals. So if you have an emergency, you just go straight into the hospital.

Morning everyone, how's everyone doing?

We're having a house day today so in hoping to get back on baby planning mode and figure out what I've got left to do

Thanks so much cocosherbie- that's lovely to know! And I'm 99% sure I'm going to give it a go as it turns out that it's a very similar system here. I love the idea of being able to get straight into my own bed when it's all over, and my local hospital isn't that great anyway. Fingers crossed it will work out that I can do it! The only thing that scares me is that they offer little/ no pain relief! But they say you're less likely to need it as you're more relaxed. Lots to think about!!! Xx

Hi Pumpkin! I meant to have a house day too but it didn't work out and it turns out I've done absolutely nothing all day- whoops!! Oh well...! Hope you managed to be more productive than me!!!

Hi ruby, slightly more productive got a few things done, but mostly did washing!! Dirty clothes seem to breed in our house. The smallest person has double the amount of washing we do!!

It's nice to do what you want to do (or not do anything lol!)

I've finally got all the symptoms of a blocked nose that I had last time and when o blow my nose (sorry tmi) there's blood on the mucus. Feel really bunged up now, wish I didn't get this - need to check out whether I should have it this early or not as i swear it was later last time.

I've got that too Pumpkin! Is that a pregnancy thing then? I just thought I was getting a cold! I've started to get heartburn too. Well done for your productive day :)

It's quiet here in Tri 2- I'm the last to move over to Tri 3 I think as I'm due right at the end of the month, but I can't believe this has all gone so fast!!! Where has the time gone? I've got so much to pack into these last few months! Hope everyone's really well and having a great weekend!

Hello Ruby,

The Feb mummies in 3rd tri have been quite quiet too!

You aren't far off the 3rd now. How exciting.

It is scary how fast it is going. I've got 11 weeks left and still feel very unprepared. Got the nursary painted this weekend after moving into our new house last weekend. Very excited about having it nearly finished.

It's good we have Christmas soon as that'll be a distraction for a while. Although in very unprepared for that also!

Very windy and wet here. Hoping that subsides so can actually have a good nights sleep!

It's quiet here in Tri 2- I'm the last to move over to Tri 3 I think as I'm due right at the end of the month, but I can't believe this has all gone so fast!!! Where has the time gone? I've got so much to pack into these last few months! Hope everyone's really well and having a great weekend!

I know exactly what you mean - we've done the nursery but I felt much more prepared with my first (was freaking out I didn't have a clue about clothes but it all came good) this time I've got stuff but no idea what I've got exactly so I really need to figure it all out and fill in the gaps.

I have my antinatal appointment at the hospital on Friday to go through my birthing options because of my c-section last time and that has raised more questions than I thought I had too

My nursery is about half done, I think I have nearly all the clothes now. Hard to tell how much we will need.
Ive just been buying things week by week as they are on sale.

Are you considering a VBAC Pumpkin?

Yes going for vbac - only had a section last time as they were concerned about fetal distress in labour so I laboured OK to start.

Just more concerned about the procedures they have for vbac as I want minimal interference (unless there's a reason!) and they've also freaked me out with a few things because of position of my placenta

You're all much further on than me with getting ready- I need to get a move on- eek! We cleared the spare room but all sorts of junk has found its way back in. I suppose once we start furnishing and filling it with baby stuff we will stop using it as storage space, but our house is so small! We just need to be ruthless and keep throwing stuff away. We're thinking about having a daybed in the nursery- is anyone else doing this? It's just so that one of us can sometimes sleep there with the baby while the other one has an unbroken night of sleep in our room. I'm self employed so won't get much of a maternity leave- I need to go back to work ASAP. We're planning to do 50/50 in babycare which is quite nice really, but I'm worried about how tired we're going to be. To be honest I'm so tired now I wish I could just stop. I was planning to keep working as late as possible but am reconsidering- when does everyone else start their maternity leave?

Re birth plans I'm so excited to start thinking about that soon- I really hope yours can be nice and straightforward Pumpkin!

Hey ruby - we've got a single bed in our little boys room in addition to his cot and that has really helped when we've had a bad night, although hubby tends to go in the spare room and then I share our bed with our son if need be as there's much more room.

We haven't moved the single into the nursery yet, but we'll wait until my sons bed is converted to a toddler bed and then probably do it.

I'm officially moving over to tri 3 now - tri 2 seems to have gone slowly, but now I'm in tri 3 it feels like it's flown lol :)

I cant believe that next saturday il be in tri 3 feel like ive wasted tri 1 an 2 worrying after mc tho tri 2 after 20weeks was the turning point so i dont realli worry now xx

Hello everyone!

Wow, long time no post! I've been so so busy moving house, trying to find tenants for our flat, and this week I'm on jury service. It's the second time I've been called up and I'm only 23. It's definitely an experience, especially being pregnant. Probably taking one too many toilet breaks!

I've just been catching up with all your posts, so glad to hear you're all doing well. I think I'm one of the lasts to join tri3. I've still got until Saturday until I'm 27 weeks.

I'm generally feeling great at the moment, probably the best time in pregnancy... Big enough bump for people to notice (just about) and not overly big that I feel uncomfortable. People have only just really started to notice this week actually. I'm getting heartburn quite badly, which is making me vomit. Rennie and Gaviscon are life savers though! I'm starting to feel really tired again and an afternoon nap in the bath is becoming a daily thing :)

In regards to home birth, it is highly encouraged where I live (Brighton- hippie city!!) But my doctor friend has completely put me off with horror stories (he's a surgeon), but I won't go into detail as I wouldn't want to affect any of your decisions because of my (probably) over dramatic friend.

Last edited:
Hello Molly- lovely to read your nice chatty post- you sound happy! Jury service- poor you- I've never had to do it but can't imagine it's much fun, although I bet you get to feel your baby wriggling lots as you're sitting still. I was watching my tummy the other day and kept seeing it twitch when he was kicking- so cute!

I'm even later than you into tri 3- not until Monday! I think I'm definitely going for a home birth- I'm really close to my local hospital so I'm not terribly worried. I think my mother in law is freaking out though, lol!

I've had heartburn too- it's horrible! I've always heard people talk about it and have wondered what the fuss was all about (I've had it in v mild form before) but I really get it now!!! Glad you've found a way to deal with it. I've had a few leg cramps now, which are really painful :-( I've always had poor circulation but it seems to be getting worse so I might talk to my GP.

Have fun when you get to Tri 3!

Hey Ruby! Ah thanks, so cute you can see little baby kicking, I've seen that too but he/she never seems to do it when my partner is around so he is yet to see it. Typically, the kicking only seems to get mental when I'm alone.

Sorry to hear about your leg cramps, so uncomfortable I bet. I have been getting a sore knee when I've been sitting down for a while, but that could be totally unrelated. The worst symptom for me though that I forgot to mention is pulsatile tinnitus, any kind of light physical activity brings on a loud pulsing thump in my left ear, even if I just walk up some stairs. Booked an appointment with the GP so hopefully he'll tell me it's all normal.

I think it's pretty much just us in here now...

X

Hey Ruby! Ah thanks, so cute you can see little baby kicking, I've seen that too but he/she never seems to do it when my partner is around so he is yet to see it. Typically, the kicking only seems to get mental when I'm alone.

Sorry to hear about your leg cramps, so uncomfortable I bet. I have been getting a sore knee when I've been sitting down for a while, but that could be totally unrelated. The worst symptom for me though that I forgot to mention is pulsatile tinnitus, any kind of light physical activity brings on a loud pulsing thump in my left ear, even if I just walk up some stairs. Booked an appointment with the GP so hopefully he'll tell me it's all normal.

I think it's pretty much just us in here now...

X

That sounds horrible- the tinnitus thing- poor you. I haven't heard of anything like that but hope it's not too uncomfortable! Leg cramps have gone now- thank goodness :) Every time I got up after sitting /lying I was limping like one leg was much shorter than the other- looked ridiculous!!! Congrats on joining Tri 3 in a couple of days and I'll see you in there- so exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back