Fav Christmas Story.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WILMAFLINSTONE

Reaction score
Mine has to be the one and only......

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads.
And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tinny reindeer.

With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! On, Cupid! on, on Donner and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of Toys, and St Nicholas too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of Toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

Ahhhh how exciting!!! xxxx

omg i love that so so much! we reaad it every xmas eve! used to be me and my sister sat on either side of my mum and we'd take it in turns each year to read! and we always say it the exact same way and all join in at certain bits! i've got a pop up one for the girls :cloud9:

Ah I love this story Kate is 16 and I STILL read it on Christmas eve ha ha poor girl!! Ahhh you know I cant wait to do all the christmassy things with lo that I have and still do with Kate even if some of it gets a raised eyebrow from her now lol!!

Love it...xxx

lol my sister's 18 this year and we still do it! nd we get presents off santa still :rofl:

Ha gooo you!!! And why not!!!

Ah you know as mad as it sounds I still believe in Santa..coz I think the second I stop believing, and grow up Christmas will loose its magic and at 38 for me its still as magical as it was when I was a kid....always will be I think its just a time of year that brings back soooo many amazing memories of great times with my family and parents and just being a carefree kid!!

Fab!! xxx

Lol i know what you mean! its just all about the magic! i'm getting so excited doing my shopping now!

It certainly is! I know im usually all done in time for Oct Half term but slackig this year so were starting it at the weekend and I want to be all done by the end of Oct, wraped, ribboned, tagged and in gift bags waiting to hand them all out....once Santa brings them all back of course!! lol xxx

:lol: i'm normally really last minute, but i'm determined to get sorted early this year! am getting the girls' stuff today cos of the offers at argos, but will get them some little stocking fillers too! i dont buy for many people tho, just my parents, younger sister, OH and FOB! dont have the pennies to go round anyone else lol!

Good for you might as well take advantage of the bargains!

Well I have too many nieces and nephews so we only buy something small for the under 16's now, also for my best friend, my cousin whos like my sister, Kate and David....I always make everyone a calendar, something edible and some soaps, sugar scrubs or a candle...I love the personal touch of making their gifts and its also a lot cheaper than shop bought stuff!

I refuse to spend a fortune tbh as I think its more about spending quality time with friends and family so I never get carried away with the moment in that respect...just all the other christmas traditions lol!!

xxx

We still get presents from santa and I'm 29 and my sister's 26 :oooo:

I love a christmas carol. My dad "forces" us to watch it every year.

When I have babies they will have twas the night before christmas read to them on christmas eve :love:

Fantastic Princess I think its great that some families keep traditions going into adulthood and then pass them down the generations!

We get the christmas DVDs out when we get the trees out and start watching them on the run up to Christmas too....oh I do love everything about it !!! xx

i cant wait to see xmas CDs in the shops! i've lost mine thru moving and stuff :( excited now eeeeee!!

Ah I know I love it when wherever you go theres christmas songs playing in the background!! Eeeeeeeeeeeee isnt it all getting very exciting indeed!!! xx

i've just thought, i dont have a clue where i'm going to put these presents! never mind!

Fantastic Princess I think its great that some families keep traditions going into adulthood and then pass them down the generations!

We get the christmas DVDs out when we get the trees out and start watching them on the run up to Christmas too....oh I do love everything about it !!! xx

I think is cos my parents are convinced that we are still both kids. And in the absence of any grandchildren they still just spoil us :yay:

I'm super excited about xmas now and I'm holding you lot personally responsible :rofl: (dunno why Im excited I'm on night shift the whole flaming festive season) x

i've just thought, i dont have a clue where i'm going to put these presents! never mind!

When I have bambinos my pressie hiding place is gonna be the roof space above the infamous dressing room :whistle:

:rofl: lucky you!! i've got literally nowhere! might have to clear out some cupboard space in the kitchen, although looks like theyre gona be big toys!

oooh you'll have to put your thinking cap on for that one, at least when they are old enough to realise you 'll have already moved into the mansion with o/h and you can go and hide the presents in the shed at the bottom of one's orchard or in the workman's hut in the rose-gardens :lol:

true :lol: might have to finally get the clothes out my wardrobe sold of theirs that are just taking up valuable space! ooo when we move into the mansion, we can actually have a santas grotto at the bottom of the garden :lol:

Awesome!!!! That'd be fabby, you could deck it out in twinkiling fairy lights for the girls and their little bro!!! **hides**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back